Not a tea person, but want to get into it. Any recommendations?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
First recommendation whenever wanting to try out new foods or beverages - start with the real thing, not some processed version.
"Canned Japanese milk tea" - isn't tea, but an industrially processed liquid.

Question also - why do you want to get into tea? What do you expect? Which preferences do you have so far regarding (hot) drinks?

Are you interested in actual tea (from tea leaves, as in black/green/white tea) - including the cultures that go with it?
Or are you looking more for (mainly hot, but also chilled) drink alternatives - so herbal teas would also be an option?

If the latter is the case, then there is a huge variety of what works well based on natural ingredients (a large number of herbs as well as other plants/fruits such as ginger, citrus fruits, redbush, some roots, etc.) - but also some that are more processed and perfumed (think apple, strawberry or peach).

Whenever starting something new, at first you often get more new questions than answers.....;)

Orchid

Loose tea some shops sell samples that make/steep few teacups so you can try some see if you like it.
See also All Discussions forum about loose tea.
Teabags Celestial Seasonings - Taste the World of Celestial Seasonings has variety boxes their fruit sampler is nice.
Fruity Oolong teas are nice tried samples from China, they sometimes post on Steepster about their teas.
I have been thinking about buying loose tea from France but it is packages of 100 gram of blind buy because never tasted them and only have description of flavors of these.

Angelette

stion also - why do you want to get into tea? What do you expect? Which preferences do you have so far regarding (hot) drinks?

Are you interested in actual tea (from tea leaves, as in black/green/white tea) - including the cultures that go with it?
Or are you looking more for (mainly hot, but also chilled) drink alternatives - so herbal teas would also be an option?
Sorry for the late response folks. Didn't expect to receive any replies on this thread.

This might silly, but I wanted to give tea a chance to cut down my sugar addiction. I drank pop for my entire life ever since as a toddler. I also love sugar in my coffee. Without it, the coffee is too bitter for me.

I'm just looking for options that could be healthy alternatives that isn't just water. My two good experiences with tea was when I was drinking some brand of chai tea in school. The other time I drank what I assume is oolang tea on a EVA Air plane heading to Taipei. Both of those teas I really like. Especially the latter, but oolang seems rare here in the States.

I'm down to both hot and cold. Since fall is almost here, I'm leaning more towards hot haha.

Angelette

Loose tea some shops sell samples that make/steep few teacups so you can try some see if you like it.
See also All Discussions forum about loose tea.
Teabags Celestial Seasonings - Taste the World of Celestial Seasonings has variety boxes their fruit sampler is nice.
Fruity Oolong teas are nice tried samples from China, they sometimes post on Steepster about their teas.
I have been thinking about buying loose tea from France but it is packages of 100 gram of blind buy because never tasted them and only have description of flavors of these.
Thank you so much! I previously mentioned oolang. Though, it wasn't fruity the last time I tried it. Now mentioning fruit, I'm tempted to add strawberries in ice tea!

Angelette

What tea experience do you have? What do you like and not like?
I last time bought this Private Select brand cinnamon tea. I personally didn't like the taste.

Going to quote my positive experience from my previous reply.

"My two good experiences with tea was when I was drinking some brand of chai tea in school. The other time I drank what I assume is oolang tea on a EVA Air plane heading to Taipei. "

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I think you need to drink some basic black tea (English Breakfast is widely available and a decent introduction, although there are many origins and blends once you get into it), and a decent green tea (I think it varies in quality more than black, I'm less familiar but I'd try some from any big brand). DO follow the brewing instructions, green tea needs lower temperature than black.

That gives you an idea of the two main tea types, and what you may like. Knowing that you can start experimenting more.

Latest posts