OK - We're back up, but what happened, Conrad?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

boots

I don't think everyone would be so curious if the message we got while the boards were down wasn't, "Repairing damage from last night's ATTACK."

I think if Conrad wasn't planing to expand on that, it might have been worded a bit differently. Otherwise, Conrad has secret sadomasochistic tendencies in spurring so much curiosity :p.

Crystal

Are we seriously not going to get any sort of message from anyone as to what happened?

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Are we seriously not going to get any sort of message from anyone as to what happened?

Peeps, relax!
It's the interwerbz in the 21st Century...

It's chocka with viruses/malware/trojans most of which - having been once spawned unto cyberspace long ago by spotty scriptkiddies - are now operating automatically from 'bots/zombies (PCs/servers which have been unwittingly hijacked to infect others)... It's more likely that DIMs server got taken down by this vast swirling tide of random malice than anything specific and/or human-directed.

The internet is now a lot more like an ecosystem with lots of continuously mutating diseases, than say a predictable, logical system with transparency of intent...

As for your own boxes:
Firewalls ON.
Keep your antivirus on and updated.
Don't open any suspicious emails.
And that's probably about the best you can do, unless you swap to LINUX.
:bow:

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus

The database came to a halt Thursday with what appeared to be excessive traffic. Closer examination revealed a possible intentional attack. After assessing the situation I rebuilt the files and there were some snags during that, like running out of disk space in one of the logical volumes while the system made backups of the huge forum database. I don't think anything was lost.

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
If someone ever puts together an archive of Dimensions material, then fatlane's Kelligrl, Hitler, Brimley pic would be the equivalant of the Constitution at the National Archives. Put that thing under protective glass, man! :)

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large
The database came to a halt Thursday with what appeared to be excessive traffic. Closer examination revealed a possible intentional attack. After assessing the situation I rebuilt the files and there were some snags during that, like running out of disk space in one of the logical volumes while the system made backups of the huge forum database. I don't think anything was lost.

Thanks. I'd been wondering what was going on.

Crystal

Thank you for an explanation and for working so hard to get us back up.

Ho Ho Tai

Conrad -

First, thanks for all your hard work.

Second, the intent of my original question was more like what can we, as the user community, do to keep from dragging our muddy feet through your clean kitchen? What are the most notorious sources for mischief? If we frequent any of these, should we offer to sweep out our own computers before entering Dimensions?

boots

Are we talkin' denial of service attack kind of traffic here, or "hey, fat people have a website? No WAI!" sudden overexposure on tv and the internets kind of traffic?

Latest posts