Ordinary Food, Eaten Unusually

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by FreeThinker, Mar 6, 2016.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

OK, if I ever go into a Witness Protection Program, I'll be easy to spot once I order fish and chips at a restaurant. I cut off (and eat) the breading from the top of the piece of fish before spreading tartar sauce on it.

My brother has on odd way of eating toast with jam: He spreads the jam on the un-buttered side. He eats it jam-side-up (butter-side-down), saying that this way, your tongue tastes the saltiness of the butter first. Sounds interesting, but what if you don't want to eat the whole slice at once? If you set it down (to take a bite of something else, perhaps), it would be sitting on its buttered side.

What unusual eating methods have you practised or observed?

2. Mar 8, 2016 #2

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

I like your brother's idea about the butter and jam.

3. Mar 8, 2016 #3

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

nope

Hmm, if I am eating a meal with mashed potatoes, I will almost always make a sandwich out of a piece of bread, some meat , whatever veggie is on the plate and the potatoes

I like peanut butter with mustard more than with Jelly

4. Mar 16, 2016 #4

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i have essential tremor. when i eat out i usually order mashed potatoes with my peas/corn so i can 'stick' them to the mashed when i try to eat them.

when i eat a cupcake, i pull the bottom cake part off and put it on top of the icing. that way you can eat it without getting messy fingers and you don't get the gob of icing stuck to the roof of your mouth.

my little one loves cheerios with raisins. she stacks them

cheerio/raisin/cheerio

then pops the whole thing in her mouth.

5. Mar 17, 2016 #5

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

YES. I do this as well. Changed the whole cupcake experience for me.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #6

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

I like to dip graham crackers into hot tea or lemonade--- but iced tea ain't so bad either

7. Mar 17, 2016 #7

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

That is just too cool. I hope I remember that for my next cupcake. Wow.

Staying with the pastry theme, I'll often (when I remember, as it's only been a few years since the idea occurred to me) eat a piece of pie from the outside crust towards the point. You don't finish with just crust, and the last few bites often remain upright, instead of flumping over.

8. Mar 18, 2016 #8

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

If you find yourself at a place with no mashed potatoes, it may help to remember this rhyme:

I eat my peas with honey.
    I've done it all my life.
    They do taste kind of funny.
    But it keeps them on the knife.

9. Mar 20, 2016 #9

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

This is part of a recent e-mail.

Breakfast. I've got to tell you about that (maybe I have already.) We have been pretty much devotees of cooked cereal, either whole grain mixtures or whole kernel mixtures, when the cooking times for the various grains are compatible. For the last 10 to 15 years (maybe longer - I forget) we have used a product called Wheat Montana 7-grain (now + flax). It looks like, and cooks like oatmeal but is a much richer mixture. We buy it in 50 to 100 lb bags. In the last few years, Wheat Montana has gone wholesale and sells only 1000 lb quantities. Mrs Ho Ho has found a repackaging source that sells it in the 50 to 100 lb lots that we are used to. I'm estimating that we use about 5 lbs per month. For our morning cereal, I add 3/4 cup of cereal to 2 cups boiling water + 1/4 cup of Hammon's recipe-ready black walnut pieces. We buy this 10 lb. at a time. You could substitute other nuts if you're allergic to black walnuts, but the black walnuts really give it a tang.

But that ain't all, folks!

When the cereal is done, we slice or cube some sharp cheddar over the top of the bowl and then add a poached egg (or a microwaved facsimile) on top the mix. Perhaps a bit of salt and pepper over that. Then, with good strong coffee, seasonal berries, a banana or 'Cutie' and citrus juice, Mrs Ho Ho's breakfast is ready. I go a step farther with mine. I shake (shake, shake, shake) a few drops - well, maybe a teaspoon - of Melinda's XXXX Habanero sauce over it. I also mix something like a parfait out of plain yoghurt, granola, fruit and a bit of milk. I eat hearty at breakfast because I don't eat much the rest of the day.

Dr. Feelgood likes this.
  10. May 18, 2016 #10

Hugh Jaguy

Hugh Jaguy

Hugh Jaguy

Snapchat - hughjaguy88. Kik - hugh_jaguy88

When eating a cheeseburger, either from a food joint or made at home, I love to dissect it layer by layer until only the burger alone remains. Finally, I eat the burger.

11. May 18, 2016 #11

LennonFan92

LennonFan92

LennonFan92

If I'm eating a sandwich, I have to have it cut into two equal triangles. When I eat grilled chicken, I have to have fresh cucumber as a side.