oy, it's letters to people and things, part deuce!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Okay...I do believe that what I am going to add is - should be in hyde park....and I'm not trying to stir the pot - I'm just late..but..honestly..

Ayaan Hirsi Ali has written on this topic and has shared her story - she has spoken out against women wearing the burka as it is a symbol of female oppression (sexual, socially and education). She lays out in "The Caged Virgin: An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam" that many western liberals try to support the wearing of the burka in a valiant effort to show they support freedom of religion, but, we do not truly comprehend what we are supporting and are causing more harm than good.

She has shared her story of female castration, her story of being smuggled out Saudi Arabia, where honor killings (like the horrible story out of Canada where the father, mother and son killed his other wife and 3 daughters) are still occurring legally. She tells the sad story of how her friend, Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, was brutally murdered in broad daylight while riding his bike to work by a Muslim extremist for questioning Islamic beliefs.

After publicly denouncing Islam, calling for an enlightenment (her argument is that major religions have all grown due to the questioning - however, if you dare question Islamic beliefs - you can be murdered.), the public death threats - she does not travel anywhere without body guards - even when staying in the US.

Sorry it is long. I do not paint one person as being representative of an entire group of people. However, more and more people inside the Islamic faith are saying what Ali has said...and after reading her I had a far greater understanding of what the burka represents. Countries such as France are banning the wearing of this in public and Ali and others support these efforts.

I do believe this is a far more complex issue than just rights of a religion. In one sense it is the woman's right to cover her face and body if she chooses, however, the reality is becoming clearer that she has no real choice. From how she is raised, to the female castration at the hand of her mother to the systematic oppression of women in some Islamic countries - such as denying an education to women...so, to many the burka is not a symbol of religious freedom, but, of the still on-going oppression of women.

Sorry to rattle on and on - it will probably be removed and deleted.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
I understand the controversy. My issue is that it's not for us to decide who has been oppressed versus who is just practicing her own beliefs. Women wearing burkas on the street have every right to do so.

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
Hoping to get this thread back where it belongs ....

Dear Unseasonably Warm(er) Weather,

Please stick around here in Wisconsin for a LITTLE bit longer ok? You don't show up enough as it is and I really treasure the moments we do have together.

WillowMoon

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
I didn't realize the thread was missing.
Well, not exactly missing ... but it does seem to be going in a direction which I'm guessing is not what it was originally intended for. It just seems to be getting a bit of a Hyde Park slant and I think this sort of topic and ongoing debate should go there. I don't have an issue with some controversy and debate (that's usually a good thing) but there's an appropriate place for everything, and I don't think this thread is the place. I just feel that this topic would be best served over there, not here, that's all.

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
Well, not exactly missing ... but it does seem to be going in a direction which I'm guessing is not what it was originally intended for. It just seems to be getting a bit of a Hyde Park slant and I think this sort of topic and ongoing debate should go there. I don't have an issue with some controversy and debate (that's usually a good thing) but there's an appropriate place for everything, and I don't think this thread is the place. I just feel that this topic would be best served over there, not here, that's all.
EXACTLY THIS! Our lovely letters thread has lost it's luster and needs to go baco to being a letters to people and such thread.

Dear Nurah- I know that sticky things like jelly gross you out. The fact that you put that aside and made toast and jelly for me made it taste especially yummy.
Signed Your loveable Aunt Terri

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
"Choice is an illusion when it arises out of doctrine, socialization and thousands of years of misogyny, control and oppression."

Proner

Scruffy Scruffy
Dear Snow,

Well it's been nice to have you this week-end but now what would be nice is to slowly melt. You made me fall on my bum you had enough fun and I admit it was good way to get rid of stress so let's say goodbye before you'll have to deal with librarian devil stare :p

White Bum Proner

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
D,

Being with you is an emotional roller coaster. My highs have never been higher, but the lows might just kill me. Laying in bed with you Saturday morning, looking into your eyes, I have never felt so fiercely in love with someone. Your words, our plans, they meant so much. Laying down for bed Sunday, our cheeks caked with salty tears, I realized we might not make it. My fears, your past, it might just ruin it. It's a struggle but you are so worth it.. I would live a thousand lives like this if it meant I got to see you smile, and laugh, and make that silly face when you tickle me. My heart aches for you every moment we're apart. I'm so much more in love with you than I thought was even possible and I fall in love with you more and more everyday.

- R

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Whoever installed the front door knob;

You almost would have had to work at getting it that far out of whack.
The right way is to do it is pretty much self-evident when you look at the parts.

It's fixed now.

-Rusty

Weirdo890

Dear Maya (the software),

You're a damn complicated nuisance that takes up too much time to work with. You make me realize how much I'd rather be drawing.

Love,
Eric

That Guy You Met Once

Dear Sir or Madam:

Congratulations on your random selection to participate in an “Empathy Promotion Experiment.” We here at the Institute for Gender Harmony have put together a program aimed at informing heterosexuals of what intercourse is like from the perspective of the opposite sex.

You should have already received the supplies needed for this experiment.

If you are male:

Enclosed with this letter, you will find one die and a roulette wheel. Within the next few days, you will receive an offer from a female participant in our study to play a game.
The game goes thusly:
The female will meet you at a private location of your mutual choice, where the game will take place.

First, you will roll the die.

If you roll a 6, the female will provide you with three orgasms and a sandwich as she tells you how wonderful and precious you are.

If you roll a 5, you will be provided with one decent orgasm.

However, if you roll a 3 or 4, you will be forced to stare at the ceiling for an hour as the female sits on top of you and masturbates with no concern for your pleasure. You may try to escape, but your female counterpart has been instructed to get very angry and offended if you do.

If you roll a 1 or a 2, in addition to being forced to stare off as your female counterpart obliviously brings herself to orgasm, she will swiftly kick you in the genitals beforehand, causing you to spend the entire time in extreme amounts of pain. You will not be allowed to leave under any circumstance.

Next, you will spin the wheel.

If the ball lands on a number randomly selected based on the time of the month, you will be punched repeatedly in the stomach over the course of several months, then forced to pass a kidney stone the size of a baseball. For the next two decades, you will be forced to raise it as your own flesh and blood, guarding it with your life, investing thousands of dollars of your own money into its care, and eventually paying for its college education, should we decide you must. It is entirely up to the female’s discretion whether or not she helps you with this process, as she is free to run away to play the game with other males as many times as she likes.

It is (usually) optional as to whether or not you play the game, but our female participants have been instructed to repeat the offers incessantly via phone, email, social networking, anonymous notes, message boards, dating sites, online games, personal solicitation, and catcalls, until you finally break down and agree to it.

If you are female:

You have probably noticed that at some point over the last week while you were asleep, an employee for our institute broke into your home and surgically grafted a pair of headphones to your ears.

As soon as the experiment begins, they will begin to play an infinitely looping version of Yoko Ono’s “Voice Piece for Soprano and Wish Tree” at excessively high volumes.

Federal laws require us to warn you that your headphones are equipped with sensors that detect the presence of males you find attractive and increase the “music’s” volume in proportion to your closeness to them, until it's reached such deafening levels that it blocks out all rational thought. In other words, if you spend too long in the presence of a handsome man, you will soon hear, feel, and think of nothing but Ono’s hideous ululating.

You may use your right hand to temporarily lower the volume, but there is only way to get it to fully stop, and that is to convince a man to play the game.

It matters not what his results are. Upon proof that you have successfully convinced a man to play the game with you, your headphones will be silenced for exactly one day, after which they will slowly fade back to their normal volume over the course of a week.

You are allowed to use any means necessary to accomplish this. We do not care if you pay a man to play the game with you, but local law enforcement has been told to arrest you if you are caught doing this.

Forcing a man to play the game with you is an even more severe crime, punishable by several decades in prison and the permanent ruining of your life and reputation.

The experiment begins immediately, and lasts for the rest of your life. Participation is mandatory. If you have any complaints, feel free to pass them on to the god of your choice.

Have fun.

The Institute for Gender Harmony

CAMellie

Gabriel Spencer
That Guy You Met Once,
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh,

Melanie

That Guy You Met Once

Any time. People on the other forum I posted it on (TvTropes) seemed to love it too, so I'm wondering if I should try to find a humor website to submit it to or something.

Mathias

SAMCRO
Dear random blogger,

If you're going to trash talk my Alma Mater based off of one Psychic Night and condemn the entire student body to Hell because of that, at least get your facts right and don't misquote our newspaper.

Sincerely,

-Mr. Cabrini

PunkyGurly74

History wonkette
Dear Pot-stirrer,

I appreciate you poking the tiger in the cage, I totally get it. He cannot see he brings it upon himself. However, he is so ridiculous and has such a persecution complex he thinks it is me asking him the questions on Formspring.

So, even though I appreciate it...you don't bare the brunt of him posting your personal information all over the internet and trying to make shitty comments about your very personal issues - because he has no concern or care for anyone but himself. He lacks compassion and basic empathy. Or nor do you have to experience the lovely joy of him telling you to kill yourself (repeatedly) or threatening to kill you (by coming to my house and shooting me - and then saying he might have a car to do that). He thinks threatening people like this is a freedom of speech. Or by him calling me fat a million times....because honestly, he hates fat women..and finds them disgusting and just wants to watch us "eat ourselves to death" and he can't look away because "it is like watching a train wreck".

So...whoever you are..just tell him - please??? Or something. Because I'm so tired of being pummeled by his drivel.

I would be forever grateful...

hugs and bunnies,

Punky!

Latest posts

Group builder