oy, it's letters to people and things, part deuce!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Yep. Good deal for them -- for consumers/end users, not so much.

There's a decent workaround: create a folder in the bookmarks, put all my bookmarks in that folder, and always leave that folder open. The principle still annoys me.

I might be some kind of old fogey, but I still lament the shift in focus of handhelds from "tool" to "toy," and from "personal device" to "app, service, and media merchandising portal". In retrospect, it was probably inevitable. The real tragedy is that most people don't know it was ever any other way.

Librarygirl

Dear friends and colleagues,
Could we try to have a Monday morning in January where all conversations pre- lunch time don't involve death or illness?? I realise you may all be trying to make me feel better about situations in life, but REALLY! I tell you my grandad is making a good recovery, so you tell me about your aunt who was of a similar age who died a year ago and talk about the frailty of the old, and how they can just die!! Sharing of my ongoing neck problems and general chat then leads to sad tales from others about the unwell (culminating in a loud conversation dominating the lounge at tea time, the main features of which seemed to be "Winter vomiting", "Dementia patients" and "More vomiting").

Could we also try to stop changing my schedule for Friday and playing departmental politics with me in the middle?

And finally, I would really like one special friend to take a break from being busy and remember that we had actually got quite close "way back" in 2013 and I'm not just a useful contact for photocopying or book queries! Where has the 'real' you gone??

Librarygirl

I must be feeling better...My attitude is returning!!!

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
Dearest and oldest friend--
How wonderful it was to chat with you for an hour yesterday. I truly enjoyed catching up with you on all the happenings that are going on in our families. How great is it that we can go so long without talking or seeing one another and still pick up right were we left off? Who knew that 33 years ago a tall thin skinny girl with a bad perm and a short fat awkwardly social girl would become such good friends? I love how after all this time we can still laugh at all the silly stuff. I am so grateful to have you in my life.

Sweet Tooth

Deep. W i d e.
Dear HB,

A lot of times, I wondered what purpose the heartaches along the way served. If nothing else, it got me to you finally. It doesn't mean that hurt should've been, as if it was a required part of the plan, but you make it all worthwhile if it led me to this place. [And you help me remember how good it was, is, and can be again.]

Crazier about you every day, and that's really saying something. :wubu:

BH

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Dear HB,

A lot of times, I wondered what purpose the heartaches along the way served. If nothing else, it got me to you finally. It doesn't mean that hurt should've been, as if it was a required part of the plan, but you make it all worthwhile if it led me to this place. [And you help me remember how good it was, is, and can be again.]

Crazier about you every day, and that's really saying something. :wubu:

BH
Dang it... can't rep this!!!

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Dear Toddler Upstairs,

Okay, I hear your frustration and, frankly am tired of your sniveling so we've got to get proactive.

Your mom put you in the crib so she could do laundry, vacuum, let the pibble out for a peepee, etc.

You, being a rambunctious two year old are THE MAN and have not only worn Mommy and Daddy out, but Brute, Wonton and me. That's quite an accomplishment. Pat yourself on the back.

Now.....stop crying and look at the bars on your crib. Jail, right? No.

Look up. That's right. Nothing holding you back. Your door is closed as evidenced by your screaming that the door is closed and probably to keep you and the pibble separated to keep out of shenanigans but you are NOT IN JAIL.

Climb carefully over the railing and once you're on foot, for the love of all that is holy, don't let them onto your new skill. Play quietly in your room until you hear her coming then climb back in. Practice daily for maximum efficiency.

I'll leave an oatmeal cookie and a dog biscuit on the steps for you and Brute. The one shaped like a bone is for the dog. By taking them, it will signify we're in agreement until you learn how to drive or move out of the house.

Now start climbing, man! This is the first of many triumphs in your lifetime.

Make it count!

On Your Side,
Downstairs, The One With The Nice Kitty Kitty

P.S. Your dad shovels all my snow, so this is strictly between us, mmmkay?

Ms Charlotte BBW

Fantasy Land
Dear Toddler Upstairs,

Okay, I hear your frustration and, frankly am tired of your sniveling so we've got to get proactive.

Your mom put you in the crib so she could do laundry, vacuum, let the pibble out for a peepee, etc.

You, being a rambunctious two year old are THE MAN and have not only worn Mommy and Daddy out, but Brute, Wonton and me. That's quite an accomplishment. Pat yourself on the back.

Now.....stop crying and look at the bars on your crib. Jail, right? No.

Look up. That's right. Nothing holding you back. Your door is closed as evidenced by your screaming that the door is closed and probably to keep you and the pibble separated to keep out of shenanigans but you are NOT IN JAIL.

Climb carefully over the railing and once you're on foot, for the love of all that is holy, don't let them onto your new skill. Play quietly in your room until you hear her coming then climb back in. Practice daily for maximum efficiency.

I'll leave an oatmeal cookie and a dog biscuit on the steps for you and Brute. The one shaped like a bone is for the dog. By taking them, it will signify we're in agreement until you learn how to drive or move out of the house.

Now start climbing, man! This is the first of many triumphs in your lifetime.

Make it count!

On Your Side,
Downstairs, The One With The Nice Kitty Kitty

P.S. Your dad shovels all my snow, so this is strictly between us, mmmkay?
Best. Letter. Ever!!!!!!!! :D

Librarygirl

Dear tomorrow,
This event has been a long while coming round, and it would be really great if everything could pan out how it does in my imagination..Please don't let nerves or shyness get the better of me.
I'd like my talk to go really well and people to be impressed
and I'd really like to somehow spend some time with a certain person at some point in the evening...a little post-theatre drink even....

Keeping fingers crossed.
Librarygirl

Reactions: Tad

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
Dear Sis--
You've been going through a lot in the past two months and I know from having listened to everything that you've talked about in the past couple of weeks that you feel alone in everything. You said that you feel as if you are in a sinking boat and no one is helping you bail the water out to keep afloat. You said that no one hugs you or cares about you, and no one listens to you. You said that everyone just, "...went on with their lives as nothing ever happened but for you it will never be over" and you discussed how angry you were that people in our family who should have paid their respects, didn't even bother to show up at the funeral. I know that I do not grieve the same way that you do because she wasn't my daughter. I didn't carry her for 9 months, give birth to her, raise her, teach her life lessons, live with her--but I am here to tell you that you are not alone. I cry, too and although the loss I feel is different than yours it is also grief that I am struggling with. I feel her loss and I miss her.
I know that you are speaking out of grief and that some of the things that you say aren't meant to be hurtful or offensive, and I am truly taking that into consideration. I know that you are just venting and letting things disperse as you see fit, but I have been there for you this whole time. Your eyes and mind and heart are so clouded with grief that you did not see that someone was holding your hand and hugging you as you cried. I was the person who hugged you tightly and comforted you only moments after the hospital informed you that your daughter had passed away. I heard your anguished screams and cries in my ears when you couldn't keep in in any longer--but i never let go. I m the person who told your other children that Anne passed away (because you couldn't). I sat and cried with you all day and although you were inconsolable, I consoled anyway. I still cry...in my room so that you do not see me.
When you were dealing with the funeral arrangements I told you many times that I would go with you if you wished...but, being the independent person that you are, you always turned me down. You were not alone except by choice. When you asked for help finding assistance in getting the funds to bury our girl...I immediately posted on face book and Dims, called several dear friends to ask for their help. When you needed someone to keep an eye on the girls while you handled the funeral stuff, I stepped up and did what you asked. I donated nearly half of my monthly pay to helping pay for the funeral and the other half paid for groceries for the month for our family. You needed new pants for the funeral, I bought them. When you just needed to cry and vent, I listened. You are not alone..and have not been alone in all of this. You are just grieving to the extent that your grief has overwhelmed any other thing in your life--and that's okay. You should be grieving. Cry if you want to, shout from the roof tops that it wasn't fair for someone so young to die! I will shout with you--but please don't ever think that you are alone.

x0emnem0x

Words.
Dear You,

I want to be the first that sees your smile in the morning, I want to warm your cold feet at night, I want to hear your laughter, I want to laugh with you, I want to squeeze you when we hug because I know you had a long day, I want to cuddle our dog together, I want to make you s’mores and hot chocolate so we can marathon Netflix, and I still want to be yours. I want to be your comfort, I want to be the woman you dreamed of, I want to cook your favorite meal a thousand times until it’s perfect, I want to watch shitty movies with you, I want to read with you while our legs are entwined, I want to be your best friend, I want to stroke your hair when you’re in my arms, I want to see the world with you, and I want to wipe away your tears. I want you to hold me when I fall, I want you love me when I’m broken, I want you to hold my hand because you want to, I want to give you my heart, I want to give you my soul, I want to give you all I can muster, I want to have a tickle war with you, I want to kiss you goodbye and embrace you to say hello... I long for you. Whoever you are.

Me

Oona

¬.¬
Dear Men Everywhere~

From now on, if you go on a date with me and you don't see me as relationship material, don't utter some bullshit line about how you're "just not ready for a relationship". Chances are I'll figure out that you're dating someone else now and you just didn't have the balls enough to tell me that you didn't like me like that.

I've really have just about enough of the bullshit lines being fed to me.

And I should warn you, we nice girls have the ability to go from sweetheart to raging cunt in about 0.05 seconds.

Sincerely,
About to hit warp-speed into Cuntville

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Dear Caleb,

This morning your little voice woke me when I heard you calling your Daddy. I can't believe how fast you're growing up. Now you don't cry anymore when you awaken but play quietly, talking to your toys, or conquering Crib K2. Great job, by the way, with the expeditions, except your landings can use a little more finesse.

Try to avoid landing as much on the pibble, please. We also need to work on your stealth ninja mode because running to your mom to tell her you made it out alive isn't helping the cause, as evidenced by your tears when returned to bed. But hey, you get more face time with Mom, and she's cool, so it's all good.

Your dad surprised me today by shoveling not only a path from my door to my steps but down the path, across the road and around my car. I know you're in good hands with your family so it made me sad but glad too when he told me you're all moving up in the world and will be leaving in March to live in your own house.

You're going to have a lot of adventures, not to mention much more room and between your mom and dad's healthy ambition, youthful energy, and business acumen, plus your natural charm, you're going to be well prepared for take-off to a new and exciting life.

I'm really going to miss you, little guy. That includes all the screaming and kicking, the running around upstairs with what sounds like Jacob Marley's chains and you and the pibble playing tag yelling and barking like lunatics. That includes listening to your dad telling you stories, your mom singing to you, and all of you laughing not to mention the dog barking in sheer joy that you arrived home from day care.

There's a lot of love up there and it trickled down to me for four months, so thank you for making me part of your world, even if you never knew it and will probably never remember me.

Best of luck, champ.

Downstairs with the nice kitty kitty

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Dear Caleb,

This morning your little voice woke me when I heard you calling your Daddy. I can't believe how fast you're growing up. Now you don't cry anymore when you awaken but play quietly, talking to your toys, or conquering Crib K2. Great job, by the way, with the expeditions, except your landings can use a little more finesse.

Try to avoid landing as much on the pibble, please. We also need to work on your stealth ninja mode because running to your mom to tell her you made it out alive isn't helping the cause, as evidenced by your tears when returned to bed. But hey, you get more face time with Mom, and she's cool, so it's all good.

Your dad surprised me today by shoveling not only a path from my door to my steps but down the path, across the road and around my car. I know you're in good hands with your family so it made me sad but glad too when he told me you're all moving up in the world and will be leaving in March to live in your own house.

You're going to have a lot of adventures, not to mention much more room and between your mom and dad's healthy ambition, youthful energy, and business acumen, plus your natural charm, you're going to be well prepared for take-off to a new and exciting life.

I'm really going to miss you, little guy. That includes all the screaming and kicking, the running around upstairs with what sounds like Jacob Marley's chains and you and the pibble playing tag yelling and barking like lunatics. That includes listening to your dad telling you stories, your mom singing to you, and all of you laughing not to mention the dog barking in sheer joy that you arrived home from day care.

There's a lot of love up there and it trickled down to me for four months, so thank you for making me part of your world, even if you never knew it and will probably never remember me.

Best of luck, champ.

Downstairs with the nice kitty kitty
Dang it, I can't rep this. Someone help me out? :)

Sorry they're leaving, Lainey. They sound like the most wonderful family and I've enjoyed your posts about them. :)

Dear Universe/Guy in the sky

Help us out here ok. One batch of dementia is enough to deal with, but whatever the hell this new trial is...well it's getting hard. Every time there is a glimmer of hope, it gets dashed again. Breaking point is just around the corner. I get the whole "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and "patience is a virtue" shtick, but fair go, dude.

Love Kimberly

Oona

¬.¬
Dear Mr.

We met on a chance. I was about to give up on dating and you were hesitant because you just moved to the are recently. I spruced up my dating profile as one last ditch effort to meet someone, and it apparently caught your attention. several weeks of non stop talking and getting to know each other lead us to our first meeting.

I was hesitant. You live 30 minutes away, and in an area with sketchy cell reception on a good day (don't worry, it's a military base). I couldn't message you like we'd talked about. And when I tried calling you, imagine my surprise when it was a "Rick Roll" gag line. I almost cried. I drove around the base for what seemed like an hour. I finally found one spot of reception and messaged you to meet me at the gas station. You arrived, and I was relieved. I explained to you what happened and we laughed. I dialed the wrong number, the one you TOLD me was a fake. I was just so nervous I guess I didn't have my brain screwed in properly. And then we proceeded to spend the next 4 1/2 hours talking and getting to know one another. It was amazing.

The next day, you invited me (and my mom!) to a Renaissance Faire. It was amazing to spend time with you, your family, and my mom. It was a perfect day. Followed by a perfect night. I went against my usual (and better) judgement and asked if you wanted to come over and watch movies at my place. I wasn't worried about anything because both my big-brother type roommates were home. Even if that weren't the case, I trusted you. The next 24 hours were filled with movies, TV shows, laughter, and both of us pouring our hearts out.

And then you did something I didn't think would happen to me for a looooooong time... You asked me if we could make it official, if I would be yours. I'm sure the look on my face was ridiculous, but I smiled and nodded.

You're so incredibly kind and understanding. You know that I am unavailable weekdays because of work and school, and it doesn't bother you one bit. You encourage me and my studies. You make me smile. You know just when to send me a hello message to brighten my day.

I can't wait to see what the future holds...

<3
Me

Ms Charlotte BBW

Fantasy Land
Dear Mr.

We met on a chance. I was about to give up on dating and you were hesitant because you just moved to the are recently. I spruced up my dating profile as one last ditch effort to meet someone, and it apparently caught your attention. several weeks of non stop talking and getting to know each other lead us to our first meeting.

I was hesitant. You live 30 minutes away, and in an area with sketchy cell reception on a good day (don't worry, it's a military base). I couldn't message you like we'd talked about. And when I tried calling you, imagine my surprise when it was a "Rick Roll" gag line. I almost cried. I drove around the base for what seemed like an hour. I finally found one spot of reception and messaged you to meet me at the gas station. You arrived, and I was relieved. I explained to you what happened and we laughed. I dialed the wrong number, the one you TOLD me was a fake. I was just so nervous I guess I didn't have my brain screwed in properly. And then we proceeded to spend the next 4 1/2 hours talking and getting to know one another. It was amazing.

The next day, you invited me (and my mom!) to a Renaissance Faire. It was amazing to spend time with you, your family, and my mom. It was a perfect day. Followed by a perfect night. I went against my usual (and better) judgement and asked if you wanted to come over and watch movies at my place. I wasn't worried about anything because both my big-brother type roommates were home. Even if that weren't the case, I trusted you. The next 24 hours were filled with movies, TV shows, laughter, and both of us pouring our hearts out.

And then you did something I didn't think would happen to me for a looooooong time... You asked me if we could make it official, if I would be yours. I'm sure the look on my face was ridiculous, but I smiled and nodded.

You're so incredibly kind and understanding. You know that I am unavailable weekdays because of work and school, and it doesn't bother you one bit. You encourage me and my studies. You make me smile. You know just when to send me a hello message to brighten my day.

I can't wait to see what the future holds...

<3
Me

Such a happy letter that it even made me smile! Continued happiness on your new relationship!