Pants for big thighs and shirts for DD bust

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

plushkitty

Hello, fellow fatshionistas!

I'm entering the workforce, and I'm going to need nice pants for interviews and hopefully a job. I have two pairs that fit, but they're both black, and I don't want to wear the same thing every day. The problem is that most plus-size lines I've found make slacks too small in the legs and too big in the belly and waist for me. If I can get a pair of pants over my thunder thighs, they're usually too long in the rise (VERY uncomfortable) and always too big in the waist. My mother is fortunately a good enough seamstress to take in waists, but not to fix the rise.

There has to be someone else here who wears nice slacks and is shaped like me! Most of my fat is in my thighs and butt, for a 290 lb woman I don't have much of a belly. What do you wear to work at an office job? My field (GIS, basically making fancy computer maps and analyzing data with them) isn't super formal, so hopefully I won't need suits. *crosses fingers*

And now we come to the shirts. Button downs are the standard for office appropriate, right? Well, I wear a 40DD bra, and trying to find a button down I can afford (fresh out of college here) that has darts at the bust is almost as hard as finding pants that fit. If it doesn't have darts, it will do that awful gapping thing between the second and third button. And it's nice to have curved seams in the body of the shirt that show my womanly figure, you know? Straight up and down seams often make me look like I raided my dad's closet.

Oh yes, and tips on jeans are always helpful on general principles. That quest never finishes, as soon as I find a style I like the company discontinues them. Like what happened with my current favorite pair. :(

Gingembre

radar detector
I can never find shirts to fit me, even when they are cut for a plus size figure. I don't know what your style is but when I worked in an office I often wore dresses. They fitted me well so looked more professional than badly fitting trousers and shirts. They can be worn with leggings or tights, dressed up a blazer/pretty cardigan and work with boots in the winter and sandals in the summer. Might this sort of thing work for you as an additional option?

Also, Evans in the UK make trousers cut for pear-shapes so they might work for you? They deliver internationally as far as I know.

plushkitty

Thanks for the suggestions, Gingembre! Dresses aren't usually my thing, but maybe this is the time for me to branch out. :) I'll see how much the Evans shipping is, Lane Bryant here in the States used to carry pants cut for pear shapes and I loved them.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Lane Bryant doesn’t offer their curvy fit anymore? That is a shame. I don’t know if they ship to the US or not, but the main Canadian chains of women’s plus stores (same owner, but they’ve kept the two names to target slightly different markets) still do some curvy, straight, etc fit jeans and dress trousers (at least, last I looked, late last year). Do a search on Addition-Elle and Penningtons and see what their shipping is like (or if you are near the border, figure out where you need to road trip!)

As for tops, around here I see very few women in buttoned blouses. Granted I’m in a tech company with few women at all and pretty informal dress, but out on the streets and restaurants around here I see people from a lot of other companies, and mostly what I’m seeing lately for more dressy office-wear is a blazer over a pulled-over top (anywhere from sleeveless to sweaters—and even over dresses). I think that stretch fabrics have gotten so sophisticated that you can get quite nice looks with non-buttoned tops, and I suspect that a lot of women have issues getting a buttoned top that fits perfectly (and current styles are pretty body skimming, so going loose to avoid gapping isn’t really the thing).

Now, that is just my observations in my little corner of the world, and I’m an engineer so you can count on me not knowing fashion from faux-pas, but maybe at the least try to go to a coffee shop in the sort of area you might be working in, and take a look at what people are wearing.

fritzi

A good alternative to a shirt (and less fuss with ironing and creasing actually) is a quality t-shirt (v-neck, wrap or sweetheart neckline) under a blazer/jacket with a silk scarf over it.

If a blazer needs to be tailored, it's at least worth the fuss - which is not true for altering too many shirts.

Also - instead of trousers, your figure sounds like nice A-line skirts should fit well and look spectacularly feminine in combination with a short(er) fitted jacket (.... and again a t-shirt underneath does the job, maybe with a necklace).

Good luck at the new job!