Pet Peeves!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
When people lick their own lips and face like a dog or cow. I know it's some kind of tic or habit but it totally creeps me out.
(It's okay with dogs, especially pugs, though)

Mordecai

The fire is coming for us
Mornings. I cannot wait until I go back to afternoon shifts.

ForeignSoul

Really?!

I despise the afternoon shifts. Like, 1pm-10pm?

Get home by 11 or 11:30pm, watch a movie, have a drink...go to sleep by 1 or 2am. Then you get up at 10am or so then have but an hour...hour and a 1/2...before leaving for work again.

I hated 2nd shift with a passion!!! It's even a Pet Peeve.

"Bill, can you work 2nd shift for Lamont tomorrow?"

"No but, I can work 1st for Felicia and SHE can work 2nd....DUH!"

lol

Mordecai

The fire is coming for us
I can schedule things during weekdays, get errands done and am an night owl. First shift is the devil.

ForeignSoul

I'm also a night owl...guess that's why I do the 3rd...10p-7a 5 days a week...lol

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
Really?!

I despise the afternoon shifts. Like, 1pm-10pm?

Get home by 11 or 11:30pm, watch a movie, have a drink...go to sleep by 1 or 2am. Then you get up at 10am or so then have but an hour...hour and a 1/2...before leaving for work again.

I hated 2nd shift with a passion!!! It's even a Pet Peeve.

"Bill, can you work 2nd shift for Lamont tomorrow?"

"No but, I can work 1st for Felicia and SHE can work 2nd....DUH!"

lol
I've had this psych/physiological issue for years where if I go to bed too early (typically any time before midnight), I WILL NOT sleep for the entire night (often waking up between 2 and 3 AM), and be unable to get back to sleep after waking up. So I hate morning shifts.

FishCharming

derailer extraordinaire!
I've had this psych/physiological issue for years where if I go to bed too early (typically any time before midnight), I WILL NOT sleep for the entire night (often waking up between 2 and 3 AM), and be unable to get back to sleep after waking up. So I hate morning shifts.
this made me think of an article i read on cracked.com: http://www.cracked.com/article_19121_7-basic-things-you-wont-believe-youre-all-doing-wrong.html

#4. Sleeping

OK, so maybe you can't handle pooping, breathing or much else that you'd think would come naturally. But surely just lying in bed every night is OK, right? So why the hell do you keep waking up at 3 a.m.? You lie there, wondering what the hell is wrong with you. Will I oversleep? you wonder. How will I find the time to sit down and poop in the morning?

If this happens to you often, you're not alone. Chances are, if you mention waking up like this to your doctor, it'll be diagnosed as a "sleep disorder," and you'll be given one of the tens of millions of prescriptions for sleeping pills handed out to Americans each year. You'll pop some Ambien, only to awaken a few hours later beating up a police officer. What on earth went wrong?

So how the hell are we meant to do it?
In this case, you're already doing it right. It's your reaction that's wrong.
The idea that an uninterrupted eight hours is the only sleep pattern natural to mankind is surprisingly recent. Before someone who wasn't Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, people in areas with more than eight hours of darkness usually slept in segments: three to five hours of sleep, an hour of wakefulness and then another three to five hour nap. The hour or so of awake time was used for quiet reflection, sex, smoking and pretty much everything except staring at the wall terrified of insomnia. In fact, this small window of consciousness was renowned as the best time for boning, as the tranquility between the first and second sleep was known as being uniquely suited to getting up to mischief with the person lying bored beside you.

This isn't compulsory.
In recent times, artificial light has pushed our normal bedtime back later and later, and this segmented sleep has been compressed into a single eight hours. Still, our brains are naturally wired for pre-light-bulb days. In a monthlong experiment, healthy subjects were given a long artificial "night" lasting 14 hours. They quickly reverted to the segmented pattern, waking up for an hour or two of "peaceful wakefulness" between two three to five hour stretches.

By the end of the experiment, all the women were pregnant.
So why do we still wake up even when we've been up until midnight watching Deadliest Warrior marathons? Well, some people tend to revert to this natural sleep cycle despite all the artificial light, especially during dark winter months. Fortunately, having this sort of technology-resistant superbrain doesn't necessarily spell disaster. According to experts, if you stay calm and allow yourself to fall back to sleep naturally rather than lying there wondering why you're awake, you usually won't see any negative effects the next day.

JulieD

I may have already said this, but: When you're stopped on a positive incline (uphill) and someone stops RIGHT ON YOUR ASS. Like, you can't see their headlights in ANY mirror.

Note: If you do not/have not driven stick, you may not know my rage. You may also be one of these people. Kindly stop. We (stick drivers) hate you.
I have been driving a stick shift for the past 15 years, and my mom is one of these people. I very rarely get loud, swear or get hostile with my mom, but one day not that long ago she was taking me to get my car from the garage and she stopped when she finally made it under the bumper of the truck in front of us. I may have said something along the lines of "WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU BATTY WOMAN!!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO GIVE ME AN ANURSIM???!!!" I quickly regained control of myself and explained to my mother that she has no idea what the guy in front of us is going to do, if he drifts back and hits her car, it will be her fault. Also, what if the person behind us isn't paying attention and hits us, that would push us into the truck, and that would be our fault too. I agree with this pet peeve, everyone should stay a safe distance behind the person in front of them regardless. If you don't, you are an idiot, seriously. You are not going to get to where you are going any faster, trust me dipshit, if anything you are going to make things worse because you will piss of the guy in front of you and they will go just a little bitty bit under the speed limit just to piss you off too...

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
If I haven't mentioned it before, I am now. And if I have, i'm going to stress how much it annoys me:

the sound of some people eating just grates on my last f'n nerve and horrifies me at the same time

:mad:

Rojodi

People telling me that if I worked out more, I'd not suffer so much from arthritis. The weight loss wouldn't put so much stress on my joints.

Um, nice try, but my arthritis is from sports injuries, and the added exercise would do MORE damage.

Latest posts