post something good about where you live

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by wrenchboy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2015 #21

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

I love the sense of community. My family moved a lot when I was a kid; and I've lived in four states as an adult, so having some sense of belonging is very important to me. I'm not a native Texan; but the town I live in is fairly small (about 10,000 people), and I love running into people I know every time I leave the house. It's rare that I don't see someone waving from their vehicle, greeting me in a store/chatting in line, or rapping on my car window in the parking lot just to say "hi." Some people might find this sort of thing annoying, but it makes me happy. :)

Also, it's the end of January, and the last 3 days have been sunny with high temperatures of 71, 75, and 61. :p

2. Jan 31, 2015 #22

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Lucky.

I foreshadowed this in my comment from a couple of months ago. By all means come to Canada to visit, but do it between April and October. Converted temperature to fahrenheit for the American peeps...

MsBrightside likes this.
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #23

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

Curves for miles

I live in NYC. What else is there to say? Even though we have a high crime rate... this is the best city in the world. Diners, cabs, public transportation 24/7/365....

We have the best skyline... (even though some asshole tried to mess it up)
    [​IMG]

4. Jan 31, 2015 #24

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

I'd love to visit Canada, although that is cold!! (*shivering at the thought of -29 degree wind chill and memories of childhood years spent in North Dakota*)

I was in Toronto once about 15 years ago but spent most of it taking care of some bureaucratic-type business. If I had fewer obligations and a bigger bank balance, I would definitely go! I'll just have to hope that I get sent across the border to a conference or something.

For now, though, maybe you should come to Texas. My corner of it also has lots of boudin, smoked brisket, and gumbo. And LeoG is probably only a couple of hours further west. What more could you ask for? :p

5. Feb 1, 2015 #25

Sunshine_Fette

Sunshine_Fette

Sunshine_Fette

Summers where I live in Ohio are fun, we have a carnival of sorts that lasts for the whole season.

6. Feb 1, 2015 #26

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

The amount of diversity. Houston is not only an enormous city, but a tremendously diverse city. There is always something new to learn, do, see, and experience in the Houston metro area.

We're also day-trip distance from beaches, national and state forests, small towns, lakes, etc...

7. Feb 2, 2015 #27

mermaid8

mermaid8

mermaid8

mermaid

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I would say the best thing about living here is the amount of unique and cheap places to eat. There's this place called the chip shop that serves the best English breakfast plus they are famous for the fried Twinkie. Also, L&B Spumoni gardens is quite possibly the best pizzeria in America. The Sicilian pizza ( square pie with tomato sauce on top then fresh made mozzerella) is hands down the best food ever! And let's not forget this place also makes fresh Italian gelato.

Most people don't think of unique places to eat when they think of Brooklyn but to me it is the thing that makes Brooklyn the best place to live.

8. May 20, 2015 #28

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

it's strawberry picking time in NC. i was recently driving past one of the farms that does this and it was so nice to see people out there picking strawberries right out of the field.

9. May 23, 2015 #29

veggieforever

veggieforever

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan

I am SUPER central to my job, mall, shops, transport links etc (literally 2 mins walk) and only twenty minute drive to the heavenly, hippy haven of The Pillars of Hercules Vegan/Vegetarian Farm Restaurant where I can just sit, sip a soya latte and go all googly-eyed over the birds and wildlife. Its the best of both worlds although I do crave the countryside more than the city now I am getting older... Almost 37...:eek:

10. May 24, 2015 #30

BBWbonnie

BBWbonnie

BBWbonnie

DimensionsModel

I live right near a massive woods so can go on long relaxing walks! :D

11. May 24, 2015 #31

dlwn

dlwn

dlwn

I live in Ireland and this weekend we passed a referendum to legalise same sex marriage. First country in the world to do so by popular vote so that's something to be proud of :)

Tad likes this.
  12. May 25, 2015 #32

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Good coffee shops? :p (OK, I'm tired today, so maybe I have coffee on the brain....).

My standard quip about Ottawa has long been that the best thing about it is that it is so easy to get out of (to the nearby downhill or nordic skiing, boating, mountain biking, camping, hiking, sugar shacks, or simply taking the less than two hour drive to Montreal and all that it offers). But in truth, we haven't been leaving the city as much as we used to. I find that it is getting better 'high streets' and better connected bike trails, so it is ever easier to find places to poke around and explore within the city.

Or in other words, I like that it is so easy to bike to so many different coffee shops :p

13. Dec 9, 2015 #33

Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Southern Chick

We live out in the country so we have a lot of nature sounds.

14. Jan 27, 2016 #34

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

there is an older gentleman who farms down the road from us. he grows a decent sized field of all sorts of watermelon, tomatoes, greens, etc. I stopped to chat him up one day on his gardening hints. he grows all the food just for something to do and donates it all to his church's meals on wheels program. :)

he was also kind enough to give me some good gardening tips!

15. Feb 19, 2016 #35

canadianbbw4u

canadianbbw4u

canadianbbw4u

I live in a village of 312 people. I love it for the quietness and I feel totally safe here when I am home alone! I hate it for the fact that I have to drive 45 mins to get to a decent grocery store. Living here saves me tons of cash since there are no stores to shop at or anywhere to eat out. I miss living in the city some days but mostly I am happy. Online shopping is my new bff:smitten:

16. Feb 22, 2016 #36

mel

mel

mel

This is My year!..again:)

No Humidity!

17. Feb 22, 2016 #37

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

Well, Boston has tons of college girls and roads that are a laugh and a half (both in condition and layout) - provided you don't actually need to drive on them.

Need to drive on roads, I mean. Who would need to drive on college girls?

18. Feb 29, 2016 #38

martinnathalie92

martinnathalie92

martinnathalie92

I love my home town of Brighton, it's full of happy faces and plenty of fun things to keep you busy, not to mention the beautiful beach|! I particularly love my house that I share with my hubby and cat. We are in the process of doing it up slowly. If i can persuade the hubby the invest in one of my fave luxury wooden beds , that will be my new favourite thing!! http://www.andsotobed.co.uk/beds/wooden-beds.html

19. Mar 4, 2016 #39

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated

Post something good about where I live? Hmmm...

Well, I live in a small, peaceful village of 1400 or so people. I've spent most of my life there so I know lots of people.

There are larger urban areas nearby so I can just hop in the car for a quick drive to theaters, restaurants, stores, the beach, museums, clubs, etc...there is always SOMETHING to see and do around here. There is some crime & drugs but if you use common sense you'll be safe.

We have four seasons: yes, our winters can get "wild and wooly" some times but we deal with it just fine. This year's winter has been mild after a rough one last year.

We have temperate weather: no droughts, monsoons, forest fires, hurricanes, etc...there may be a tiny earthquake: I can recall 2 small ones in the last 40+ years - just a little shaking for a minute or so. We can get a tornado if the conditions are right but the meteorologists tend to be skittish about admitting one touched down.

So, I like where I live and plan to be there for some years to come

Dennis

20. Mar 5, 2016 #40

fatsmagic

fatsmagic

fatsmagic

I live in a small City called Lincoln in England.
    The good thing about this, is that not only does it have some amazing beautiful buildings / streets which are ancient, it is still small enough that I can bike 10 mins and be literally in the countryside away from houses/people/noise.

[​IMG]

azerty likes this.