Preference VS fetish.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

4BDN1

I'm certain that this topic is somewhere up here but I guess I'm too lazy to look. LOL. Anyway I was talking with a friend and we got on preferences and attractions. I brought up the fact that I prefer full figured women to skinny or "average" women. They seemed shocked by my response and I asked why? They then asked was it my preference or my fetish. Thing is this is not the first time I had this asked. I am physically attracted to a pear shaped woman whose an 18 than a carrot shaped 8. So I just wanted to ask has anyone else ever had that asked of them before? Why must my preference be known as a fetish?

Mini

Right, not nice
I'm fairly close to three sheets at the moment, so forgive the flippancy, but what's the difference? You get off to what you get off to, and as most people use fetish to refer to anything that doesn't appeal to them sexually I don't really see what the problem is.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter
Because some people think a Fetish is anything that our society doesn't deem "Normal," when what is normal has nothing to do with it as far as its definition goes.

The general concept here is that if you need it for sexual gratification it could be a fetish, but if you don't need it at times then no. But there's so many arguments that can be brought up. Is it the amount? Is it the substance? is it a shape?

Mini

Right, not nice
Because some people think a Fetish is anything that our society doesn't deem "Normal," when what is normal has nothing to do with it as far as its definition goes.

The general concept here is that if you need it for sexual gratification it could be a fetish, but if you don't need it at times then no. But there's so many arguments that can be brought up. Is it the amount? Is it the substance? is it a shape?
I totally get what you're saying, but I can't say I've ever stopped mid-wank and been like, wow, maybe I'm acting on a fetish! This isn't a preference at all!

I know it's not just semantics, but it still boils down to "who fuckin' cares?" for me

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org

I bolded the part of this statement that I am responding to. Then wouldn't that make a guy who ONLY likes thin women a fetishist? Because if he can't get his rocks off with a big girl, then it means he needs a thin women at all times.

I think that the fact that someone prefers a larger partner, in and of itself, is a preference. And that is what it is.

Just as some prefer flavors of ice cream. I might try other flavors, I might not, but it does not mean that one has a flavor fetish because to truly enjoy ice cream they want THE flavor that they want.

And I merely used part of your post as a way to state my opinion. I was not making this statement at you personally.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Just as some prefer flavors of ice cream. I might try other flavors, I might not, but it does not mean that one has a flavor fetish because to truly enjoy ice cream they want THE flavor that they want.
Unless, perhaps, that flavor is Lima Bean Almond Fudge.

Reactions: Jes

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
I bolded the part of this statement that I am responding to. Then wouldn't that make a guy who ONLY likes thin women a fetishist? Because if he can't get his rocks off with a big girl, then it means he needs a thin women at all times.

I think that the fact that someone prefers a larger partner, in and of itself, is a preference. And that is what it is.

And I merely used part of your post as a way to state my opinion. I was not making this statement at you personally.

Oh I agree, and I apologize for the "In general" comment.

To go deeper: Plus being able to be content with it without other pieces to the person like their personality. Basically the whole "Bag of fat" scenario.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
I totally get what you're saying, but I can't say I've ever stopped mid-wank and been like, wow, maybe I'm acting on a fetish! This isn't a preference at all!

I know it's not just semantics, but it still boils down to "who fuckin' cares?" for me
Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just an intriguing conversation to bring up occasionally. I like "Talking shop" at times. lol

I'm right with you on the first comment too. Never have I looked back and thought about it. To be fair, however: My pr0nz stash covers all sizes. lol

StarWitness

part square, part drape
Then wouldn't that make a guy who ONLY likes thin women a fetishist? Because if he can't get his rocks off with a big girl, then it means he needs a thin women at all times.
Personally, I'd label that guy as having a fetish for thin women. It meets the given requirements, it just doesn't look like a fetish because it's widely accepted as being "normal." ;)

To go deeper: Plus being able to be content with it without other pieces to the person like their personality. Basically the whole "Bag of fat" scenario.
I don't know about that... would that make a one-night stand that's completely "vanilla" fetishistic? Personally, I've tried to act on fetishes with a person I didn't connect with; that didn't work out at all. Even if it's a casual encounter with someone I've recently met, it has to be someone I "click" with. Does that mean I don't have any fetishes? Or maybe I have a fetish for likable personalities... HMMMMMM.... :D

LovelyLiz

Personally, I'd label that guy as having a fetish for thin women. It meets the given requirements, it just doesn't look like a fetish because it's widely accepted as being "normal." ;)
I love that, and I'm totally going to use it. Next time someone says they aren't interested in a girl/guy because s/he's too fat, I'm going to say, "Oh, do you have a thin fetish or something?"

Word.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter

I don't know about that... would that make a one-night stand that's completely "vanilla" fetishistic? Personally, I've tried to act on fetishes with a person I didn't connect with; that didn't work out at all. Even if it's a casual encounter with someone I've recently met, it has to be someone I "click" with. Does that mean I don't have any fetishes? Or maybe I have a fetish for likable personalities... HMMMMMM.... :D
I think the latter is more of a choice. And I mean everything beyond those things related to size to include personality.

I think that applies to both. Choice vs "I literally can't do this... yet.." lol

LoveBHMS

default title
Oh lord....

What is the difference? I mean who cares about the semantics of it, your sexuality is what it is. You're comfortable with it, you know what excites you. So long as you are honest and open with any partners or potential partners, who the heck cares about the terminology?

Dr. P Marshall

Oh lord....

What is the difference? I mean who cares about the semantics of it, your sexuality is what it is. You're comfortable with it, you know what excites you. So long as you are honest and open with any partners or potential partners, who the heck cares about the terminology?
Exactly. How many times have we had this discussion here..........;)

StarWitness

part square, part drape
But pointless arguments over semantics are fun! Said (typed?) with total sincerity!

Dr. P Marshall

Yeah, but I was bored. Welcome back monkey butt LOVER
Thanks for the welcome back. :D And actually, my own hypocrisy has just smacked me in the face now that I think about it. I can't really point fingers since I (try really, really hard to ) turn every discussion into a thread about monkeys.:p

Paquito

don't July to me
Thanks for the welcome back. :D And actually, my own hypocrisy has just smacked me in the face now that I think about it. I can't really point fingers since I (try really, really hard to ) turn every discussion into a thread about monkeys.:p
So does that mean you have a preference for monkeys, or a monkey fetish?

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts