Proactiv anyone??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Aust99

I'm almost 26 and I'm still getting pimples... the ironic thing is I never had them as a teenager... I usually have two or three, healing and new ones around my chin and mouth and they are not the most attractive things to look at. I feel that I shouldn't have them as I'm in my mid twenties and I really think they are affecting my self confidence. On the advice of a friend I'm going to try Proactiv Solution, I've noticed there are a few stores that carry the range so I'm not going to have to become a member and get charged for it each month... If it works, I'll sign up for the bi-monthly deliveries but I want to try with no commitment to see if it works for me. The online reviews are defiantly positive but I was hoping to get some info from the lovely ladies here...

Has anyone used it? Positive or negative experiences? Do you recommend it?

Help me out my fatshionable friends....

:kiss2:

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
I've never used it myself, but I had a good friend in college with serious acne who went to see one of the doctors in LA who later created Proactiv. This was in the '90s, when she and her partner were in the process of creating the product. The doctor had my friend use their early version of Proactiv, and my friend said it was incredibly drying to her skin and didn't do much to clear up her acne. She later went to a different doctor and had better results.

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
I haven't used it but my daughter has. My daughter has acne that will not seem to go away no matter what she does. She is under a dermatologists care now but it is still only mildly better. Before she went to a doctor she tried a lot of over the counter remedies including Proactiv. It seems like such a 'miracle cure' the way they show it on TV. My friend's daughter has also always had really bad acne. She bought the Proactiv and tried it and it did nothing much. So she passed what she had left on to her sister and it didn't do much for her. Then it was passed on to my daughter. It didn't do much for her acne either. Most acne products are very drying to the skin and that's about all it did. Some people seem to have good results with it but when I see three people who it didn't really work for I have to rethink if it even works at all.
Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Good luck! :)

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
Proactive made some weird kind of burn appear on my skin, and really affected my friends who tried it. None of us had a good experience. And I don't even get much acne. I'd reccommend SkinID though. That's worked for everyone I know and is about the same price as Proactiv. I just use clean n Clear and Clearasil, but normally I just forget to and ride it out. SkinID has the most positive review of all products I know. Most teens and youg adults in my area use it. Even a 40 yr old I know uses it and said her skin has never been better.

Paquito

don't July to me
Used it for two years. During that period, my acne seemed to increase and become inflamed. My skin really dried out.

I don't recommend it to anyone. Try a dermatologist.

intraultra

big monster lover
I'm also in my mid-twenties and have chin acne. Hate it. As I understand it, chin acne is usually hormonal? That's what I've come across while trying to find help online. As soon as my health insurance kicks in I plan on seeing a dermatologist.

Also, I tried Proactiv and didn't see any improvement.

BBWTexan

Speak No Evil
My experience with Proactiv is completely the opposite of most of the previous responses as I have been extremely happy with it.

I'd always had relatively clear skin, but would suffer from the occasional chin breakout from time to time. This problem became really bad in late 2005/early 2006, to the point where I was embarrassed to talk to anyone face to face and was always trying to find a way to cover up my chin. Like you, I thought I should have been well out of the pimple stage, given that I was in my early 30s at that point. I got all sorts of topical medications from the dermatologist, but all those did was dry my skin out to the point of peeling.

My mom suggested that I try Proactiv and, I kid you not, my entire face was cleared up within a month. I've never experienced drying or anything like that from the products, but I do use them exactly as recommended. I think the key for making it work is to do the full 3-step process. I still use it to this day and even though I only do the full process once a day (I do something different at night), I definitely notice the difference when I start to get lazy about it. If it isn't obvious, I totally love this product and would recommend it to anyone with a similar problem.

LovelyLiz

My roommate in my early 20s (who was also in her early 20s) also had good experiences with Proactiv. She had a lot of acne, then started using it, and her skin became much clearer.

sowhat

Contains no MSG
Talk to a dermatologist. Skin is like any other organ and issues really deserve a professional diagnosis.

archivaltype

shake n bake
My little brother and I use it; he breaks out mostly on his cheeks, for me it's around my hairline/chin/forehead and it's never been that bad. I've got oily skin, though, and it's really helped a lot, never dried my skin out at all. Except maybe in the winter, but it was only my cheeks and wasn't so bad. The moisturizer that comes with it works really well. Good luck! I think it's worth a test run.

Aust99

Thanks to all who responded. You gave me a lot to consider... I knew I could count on the awesome Dimmers!!!

toni

In the know
I've used it in the past and loved it. I don't get many pimples but it really clarifies the skins and gives you a glow. I was amazed. I am sure it does what it promises on pimples. Try with a starter set. I think it is only 29 dollars.

I love that you can buy it in a vending machine at the mall. Stupid things like that amaze me. :D

Byagi

Proactiv didn't do much of anything for me, but you know what did? Clean and Clear Acne Treatment. For me, the stuff is amazing. If I have a pimple coming to the surface, I put the treatment on and it starts working. Within half an hour to a few hours (depending on the pimple), it takes it out. I'm 30 and it does wonders. I wish I had known about it when I was a teenager :p

Inhibited

Proactiv didn't do much of anything for me, but you know what did? Clean and Clear Acne Treatment. For me, the stuff is amazing. If I have a pimple coming to the surface, I put the treatment on and it starts working. Within half an hour to a few hours (depending on the pimple), it takes it out. I'm 30 and it does wonders. I wish I had known about it when I was a teenager :p
Do you know if Clean and Clear also works for blackheads?

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
Clean & Clear has a specific line for blackheads, and since that used to be my problem, I can tell you it works! It's the only brand for me that truly worked 100% of the time. I love their stuff and they even have this super awesome concealer thing that has salicylic acid in it to fight away zits AND hide them. I recommended it to my friend one day and it was the best thing to help her. And she has it bad... Cystic acne... And it cleared it up!

Clearasil is pretty good but Clean & Clear has been the BEST. Especially since you can just go out and buy it.

SkinID is just as good but from what I can tell, it's either you order it online or get a prescription for it. Not so good :(

So Clean & Clear all the way!

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
My best friend used Proactiv and she got a horrible rash all over her face.. some sort of allergic reaction. Of course, there's someone allergic to everything.. but I've heard a lot of people say that it's irritated their skin in some way.

I used the Clean & Clear acne fighting package thingy in high school.. it comes in a cardboard box with like four different things.. a face wash, spot treatment cream, mositurizer and something else. It's a similar system to Proactiv.. I had really good results with it.

For me, the main thing I do to fight pimples (although I've never really had acne problems) is to make sure I take off my makeup at night. I forget sometimes or I'm too lazy a lot of the time but it seriously makes such a big difference. Right now I'm using Neutrogena makeup remover wipes. They're like $6 or $7 for a package of 25.. it's ridiculous because I use two a day usually but they work really well.. they mositurize and clean your face and take off your makeup at the same time.. it's lovely and takes literally two seconds.

Also, if your problem is bad or getting worse, go see a dermatologist.. there's a million things they can give you to try!

ETA: Right now I use Clean & Clear Morning Burst face wash & moisturizer.. I've been using them for about two, maybe three years, and they seem to work pretty good although like I said, I don't really have acne persay.. just the occasional break out.

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
I live by baby wipes. A trick from theatre that I will always carry and love. Since we had weeks and months worth of shows, and sometimes 3 shows a day, some people playing up to 5 different characters in a single play, baby wipes were a must. They loved the way they worked and so do I :) And there's some damn good moisturizing ones out there and you can get like at least 80 wipes for 3-4$ or less! To me, it works even better than makeup brand wipes.

Oh, and a friend of mine who has a reaction to EVERY brand of acne treatments started using baby wipes when I told her that's what I use and her face is all clear after a few months :)

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I actually used to use baby wipes too but I found that they didn't work as well when using waterproof mascara.. they seem to get everything else off though.

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
I actually used to use baby wipes too but I found that they didn't work as well when using waterproof mascara.. they seem to get everything else off though.
Yeah that's my one problem with using them "daily." But I tend to get the stuff in my eye and the baby wipes burn way less than makeup remover wipes do. But all I can wear is waterproof formulas cuz of my awfully oily eyes :doh:

Latest posts