Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jes

is oddly aroused
That show was dreadful. The runway AND the tv show ABOUT the runway.

I really think that we've been had, this season. THe viewers, I mean. I think that, from the beginning, things have been edited to make Michael look like ... hell, I don't even know anymore. But, like... when the judges love him, they LOVE him, and then that love is always held out like the BINGBANGBOOM! surprise. It surprises us. It surprises the other designers. It surprises Michael. The only people it doesn't surprise are the editors...and the judges, I guess.

Also, everyone underwhelmed me in the design arena tonight. 5 almost-all-black looks? really? It'd be one thing if any one of them quoted the ubiquitous 'NY black,' but they didn't!

I don't want to see separates from Ann Taylor Loft (not even Ann Taylor, but her LOFT) as a $500 big runway 'wow' look. ANd April's was awful. Her model looked absolutely pregnant and I don't know any woman who wants to look pregnant. And it was just too...boring. It was the exact same elements; even her story hadn't changed. She can't really think she's going to do black in every challenge, with lots of the same styling elements and hairdos, and feel she's pushing the envelope. Mondo's look was..perhaps the best (well...i don't know) in that I got a. him, b. the bridge and c.... I don't know what else. I didn't care for the double-notch neckline. I thought it wasn't flattering. I got that it was a bridge though, but I could've odne without that. Andy's dress was chic and I agree that the 'wet' thing made it neat. In a way, I liked it more than Mondo's. I thought it was more flattering, I guess, and I didn't necessarily get Warrior WOman out of it. In fact, I don't think he's gone that route much, so I don't know why the judges thought so. He should've said, and I hope he did though we never saw it, that the waviness of the back had to do with the tree limbs and walkways of the park. That might've sold the park idea. It was a missed opportunity for him.

And Michael...I don't get it. It was an ok dress. Nice, even. But it was black. And we have certainly seen it before. ANd it was a bit shapeless. It's actually a perfect dress for a pregnant woman b/c there's plenty of room under there. Of course, I think a preggo needs a brassiero but whatevero. I just didn't see that dress being the talk of the town. It's a dress pulled from central casting. It's a stock photo dress. It's been done.

I don't know.

I suspect that he may not get into the next round and present at fashion week.

I don't care for the 4 of you win but none of you really win BS. The show has enough tension; it doesn't need that cheap smoke-and-mirrors bullshit.

NancyGirl74

Well, I kind of figured Gretchen would not have a good showing. Still, I didn't think she'd be in the bottom. I fully expected the bottom to be Andy and April.

Mondo: He did not wow me tonight. It was a nice dress. I could see the lines he was inspired by but it just lacked Mondo's usual "cleverly cool" factor that I usually enjoy from him.

Gretchen: Yipes, I wasn't expecting her to fail so grandly. I did like the jacket but that was about it. Everything else was blah. I'm even getting bored with her always doing separates. Yeah, she created three pieces but I feel like she's done that almost every time.

Andy: I really liked his dress but I agree that it was just another one of his edgy, badass chick pieces. He created a cool dress but he missed the boat when it came to wowing the judges for this final challenge.

April: Yeah...I've been sick of April's all black morbid kick since...I don't even remember. The girl has talent, there is no doubt about that. Once she leaves the graveyard stage behind she'll be a force to reckon with.

Michael C.: I loved it! I thought it was stunning from the concept to the runway. Jes, you said that you thought it was shapeless. I can see your point but I think that fact that it wasn't formfitting only emphasized the dramatic lines of the low back and the high side slit. If it had been form fitting I think it would have looked cheap. Instead, it was sexy while elegant and classy. Old Hollywood, perhaps but in such a way that it is almost timeless. I could see someone like Heidi or Angelina Jolie rocking that dress on the red carpet just as easily as I could see someone like Greta Garbo slowly descending a sweeping staircase in an old black & white movie. I simply loved it. If I had the bod for it I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

Paquito

don't July to me
Mondo: I just wasn't blown away like I usually am with his stuff.

Andy: Just with the styling and everything, it seemed too dominatrix for me. Like he was trying too hard. I liked the detail work though.

Michael: I liked it, but showstopper? I don't think so.

April: Even though she kills me with the all black, I think she deserved the spot over Gretchen.

Gretchen: I know that my dislike of her personality makes me a little biased. But seriously? No, that was just terrible.

And once again, I freaking hate this elimination right before Bryant Park. Again, I think it's just cruel.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
It seemed like everyone wanted to take every comment the judges have made about their designs all season and sew them up in big hot messes.

Gretchen stepped outside her "moss hanging on a branch but it would sell at the Gap" design sense...but not in a good way. I sometimes think she needs to have her eyes checked for some form of colorblindness because she can't see anything but "muted." As for her "tiredness" she no longer has her "I can grow my nails and slit your throat" cheering section. For some reason, she needed that.

I honestly thought they were going to slap Michael C down for the simplicity of his design, but they loved it. Who the hell knows with these people?

Mondo needed that flash of color he was going to put in until Tim stopped him. Yellow, hell yes. Sequins...not so much.

April, April, April...you're 21. Smile. Think about color. I know it's not as cool as you want to be, but your black makes me think of my grandmother who donned black sometime around the age of 70 and never wore anything else.

Andy...what the hell was the "warrior woman" comment when he started off the competition with Hawaii...strolling down the beach...sand stuck in all your crevices designs? I think he advanced more than anyone, Scarecrow.

Now, a question....do you think they all really looked down on Michael, or did they saw something in him that scared them? He has shown strength of character this season. I would have bitch-slapped the lot of them.

NancyGirl74

Now, a question....do you think they all really looked down on Michael, or did they saw something in him that scared them? He has shown strength of character this season. I would have bitch-slapped the lot of them.
I have a feeling that the other designers didn't/don't like Michael because he doesn't have much of the knowledge that the others have. When he stared winning challenges it might have ticked them off because who's this "novice" to win over the more polished and trained designers. At least, I think that was the thought process for some of them. (Ivy...I think she was just bitter and spiteful.) As Gretchen said in this episode (and I don't think it was said to be unkind) Michael reminds her of herself when she was just starting out. I can see what she means. He's talented but when he didn't know what fabric he used or didn't bring a ruler to the competition or other small things like that it makes him appear to be more newbie than experienced. Mondo said it best. (I don't remember the actual quote but is was something like...) Michael C. is rough around the edges but he's talented and very willing to learn and grow. I think that's why the judges like him. It's one of the reasons I like him, too.

Jes

is oddly aroused
April: Yeah...I've been sick of April's all black morbid kick since...I don't even remember. The girl has talent, there is no doubt about that. Once she leaves the graveyard stage behind she'll be a force to reckon with.

Michael C.: I loved it! I thought it was stunning from the concept to the runway. Jes, you said that you thought it was shapeless. I can see your point but I think that fact that it wasn't formfitting only emphasized the dramatic lines of the low back and the high side slit. If it had been form fitting I think it would have looked cheap. Instead, it was sexy while elegant and classy. Old Hollywood, perhaps but in such a way that it is almost timeless. I could see someone like Heidi or Angelina Jolie rocking that dress on the red carpet just as easily as I could see someone like Greta Garbo slowly descending a sweeping staircase in an old black & white movie. I simply loved it. If I had the bod for it I'd wear it in a heartbeat.
Nancy, I think you're right on target with most of this. I just don't think April has much talent. I really don't. She has no range, and I don't even think her garments look nice.

And you make a point with Michael C's dress--had it been skintight it would've been too much. But I don't think I meant I needed it that tight. I would be curious to know what it would look like skinnier though, for lack of a better word. Less voluminous. I feel like it's the perfect dress for a pregnant woman on the red carpet. So, I was surprised that the judges liked it so much (when they didn't like April's pregnant witch!) I was SURE they'd say the back slit was too low; it almost showed butt dimples! Which isn't to say I hated it. I also didn't find it unique. I will say, however, about all of the black dresses: when I see them in photos online, after the show, they often look different. I think black photographs poorly, especially on the runway. It's very possible that what the judges see, WE can't see at home.

I just honestly feel like Mike C will flop when making his collection. I don't know why, but it's my gut feeling. Which is sad. But then again, there can only be 1 winner. ANd, I can see why other designers would be frustrated with his skills during the workroom day. He doesn't use patterns. He doesn't know some sewing techniques. And he didn't even know what type of fabric he pulled! And while Michael Kors didn't give a shit about that, I can absolutely imagine that it would be frustrating if I was working next to someone who had good instincts but didn't know any of the stuff I'd spent years learning. It would be annoying on a personal level. That may be wrong, and it may be beside the point, but I'm beginning to understand where some of the bitchiness came from, with the others. It was misguided, but it was human.

Tim's critique, during his visits with each, look harsh! I mean, who even wants to address the granola beige granny panties Gretchen made? The look on Tim's face said it all.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Well, I didn't read ahead and see that Nancy made my point about Michael C and why others are annoyed with him!

I do not understand those of you who think April should have advanced. She has no range. NO RANGE! I guarantee 12 babydoll black dresses would've floated down the runway at Lincoln Center. Wait...is that where the new Bryant Park is? I think that's stupid, I hate change, and I'm just gonna keep saying Bryant Park. Deal.

I do think Gretchen will show more of a collection, with dresses, and separates and different colors. It'll make a better show.

It seemed to me, more this season than before, that the judges were choosing winners based on the aggregate of their work. That's not the point of the last challenge; if it were, you wouldn't need it. You could just look at the past work before that point. It's a mistake to go that direction; it muddies the waters.

Finally, I agree with Paquito--it's cruel to cancel someone's chance right as he or she is entering the tent!

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
During the competition, going to Mood, it doesn't matter if he knows it was jersey. (Which he evidently knows how to sew.) When he starts ordering fabric, however, it could be a BIT of a problem. He could end up with a warehouse full of grey sweatshirt material. And, No, Michael Kors, it wasn't "jersey chiffon." At least what we saw wasn't.

Jes

is oddly aroused
During the competition, going to Mood, it doesn't matter if he knows it was jersey. (Which he evidently knows how to sew.) When he starts ordering fabric, however, it could be a BIT of a problem. He could end up with a warehouse full of grey sweatshirt material. And, No, Michael Kors, it wasn't "jersey chiffon." At least what we saw wasn't.
Right. It does show a lack of familiarity with something I thik he should know, for his future career. Should you become a designer, you're no longer doing some of the grunt work, right? And so you need to know how to instruct your people. At least 'til you get so big your people make all the decisions for you (cf. george bush I and the grocery store scanners).

AND how much did I love Mr. Siriano last night. He was really kind to everyone's design during the judging hour and I liked that. He could understand things from a fashion standpoint as well as a in-the-workroom-at-PR standpoint.

ooh-what's the velvet bag thing during the finals, do you think? Was it Michael C who says: whenever you see that bag, you know it's not good. Think they'll have to make an extra look but using a previous desinger to do all the work? I can't imagine that using a different model would be a big deal at this point (since they'll use 11 others for the show), so...?

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
ooh-what's the velvet bag thing during the finals, do you think? Was it Michael C who says: whenever you see that bag, you know it's not good. Think they'll have to make an extra look but using a previous desinger to do all the work? I can't imagine that using a different model would be a big deal at this point (since they'll use 11 others for the show), so...?
I wish they would throw in one "larger" model and have them design one outfit for her that would fit in with their overall collection. However, I doubt that will be it.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I wish they would throw in one "larger" model and have them design one outfit for her that would fit in with their overall collection. However, I doubt that will be it.
that would be a good idea. Or even a kid, with a look that has to be a runway high fashion Mommy and Me. Or just me. They'd have to design for me. Because I am fierce and I can Work It.

anyway, I'm at the point in this viewing experience where even *I* get nervous at the sight of the bag.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
that would be a good idea. Or even a kid, with a look that has to be a runway high fashion Mommy and Me. Or just me. They'd have to design for me. Because I am fierce and I can Work It.

anyway, I'm at the point in this viewing experience where even *I* get nervous at the sight of the bag.
You know, that could drastically effect the sales of Crown Royal if more of us have that feeling.

Jes

is oddly aroused
JANE! that's it! you're spot on! i couldn't figure out why that bag always made me think of something else!

Now I know.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
I was pretty underwhelmed by this runway show as well. And a big part of me blames the producers. It used to be you had to make the final 3 to have a chance to make a full collection, so you had to try and win it. Now, with it being obvious to everyone that there's a "Final Four" there's no point in trying to win the final challenge. There's absolutely no incentive. And with everyone anxious as hell, that produces a bunch of safe (ie. black) designs. If memory serves, the first time they had a last 4, it was Rami vs. Chris March to see who would get to show the full collection. And that really worked, because it was a surprise, and also you were really excited to see a full show from those two. Now? Meh.

Michael C's was my favorite. Mondo's was OK, whoever said they had seen houndstooth from him already was right on. Andy's was solid. Gretchen? Lame. Why did she have those cheap looking strips hanging below the hem of the jacket? Ugh.

As for April, I feel bad for her. I totally agree with the judges about her just having one look (I've been complaining about it here for weeks), but I hope they had given her that feedback before, because if not that must have felt like a total blitz attack. They were pretty harsh.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I
As for April, I feel bad for her. I totally agree with the judges about her just having one look (I've been complaining about it here for weeks), but I hope they had given her that feedback before, because if not that must have felt like a total blitz attack. They were pretty harsh.

If they did, it was off camera. They've acted like her same design used over and over was the freshest thing on Earth. It must be strange to adapt your designs to their expectations and compliments only to have the rug pulled out from under you.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I haven't been saying much because I am finding this season generally boring,
but has anyone seen this parody?
'he went straight for the taffeta and then he just started crying for NO reason!'

wait...is this the real show or the parody?

LisaInNC

Ok Mondo will take it on home next week. He is my pick and has been since the beginning. As you all know, I picked last years winner as well. I am very rarely wrong.
I feel I should say, Andy? Really? They picked Andy?

Paquito

don't July to me
You mean Gretchen? Really? They picked Gretchen?

Putting aside anything I felt about her during the season, hers was just flat-out weak compared to the others.

LisaInNC

Yeah Gretchen's stuff was awful too, but we knew they would let her in just because for some reason they have liked her crap all season. Michael's clothes were WAY better than Andy's tonight. So what if he used the same color on 2 outfits?