Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Paquito

don't July to me
The main reason he cried was because of not fitting in and insecurity. Then he started doing well and no tears since. So I'll vote with a no.

indy500tchr

Seriously why do they just let her ramble on....Gretchen needs to STFU! I think she's afraid she fucked up and is going to go home which is the reason for her crocodile tears and begging.

Paquito

don't July to me
Backpeddle Gretchen, backpeddle.

Not gonna work for these flight attendant outfits.

Also, Tim is GOD.

LisaInNC

Is it wrong that I giggled when Gretchen cried? God, she is a wretched bitch!! Tim freaking nailed it, but if she had went home this week...who would I hate?

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I love Tim more than ever.

His lack of hissy fits through ALL the seasons...can you imagine if it was YOU he really let loose on? OMG

And, yeah, she deserved it. Don't try to back up from that, just take it like a man and go on.

Oh, and Jes, that bitch you were going to cut....I have a nomination.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Arguably my favorite episode ever. That was a really interesting challenge, runway, and discussion. I though Michael D's outfit should have gotten more consideration, but that's a small point.

I thought "Team Lux" was a mess. Everything was so bulky. And boring. Bleh. And their behavior on the runway was just stupid. Trashing the person with immunity just made them look petty and whiney. Especially when he had some of the better garments in the collection. AJ did one thing, but Ivy's look was incredibly awful, while his shirt was simply bad.

Maybe Gretchen will actually shut up now, but I doubt it. The judges should have made her sweat more.

Jes

is oddly aroused
oh My GOD.

I have never, EVER, seen as much fug assembled on a runway as I did tonight, ladies and gents. Team Luxe? I am not exaggerating when I ask who on EARTH thought any of that shit looked good? Michael Kors and I were on the same wavelength when Ivy's shitsemble (shit + ensemble) walked out-- I said, out loud to the cat, AND THEN THERE'S MAUDE. I cannot imagine anyone who would want to wear any of those pieces, honestly. It was so impossible to understand; 6 people with talent who would make stuff uglier than you or I could make. Does that even make sense? Was it Grechen's KoolAid?

I think Grechen... oh, I don't know what to say, here. I see myself in her a bit...and that's not a good thing I don't think. But, you know, everyone has an opinion. And certainly everyone on this show does. So if you feel your idea is the best, what stops you from saying so? If you have a vision in your head in which you really can't imagine anything not working out, doesn't it make sense to push your agenda? It's sort of like watching the water level inside the car rise after you careen off into the lake--if you're sure your solution is the best, you're going to force it on the others.

Now, that's not saying her solution was the best. But I'm trying to get at the underlying issue here--why some people share their agendas and others don't. I wonder if it's the level of certainty with which people feel their own abilities... or at least their plans for something specific. I'm going to assume each team member had a solid idea for the team. What allowed Grechen to speak? And what allowed the others to be silent? It's a 2 way street.

Someone should've shut G. up on the runway though during the critique. A judge. A team mate. I don't know. But someone. Because ultimately, she's not the team leader. There was no leader.

I'm rather sad that AJ left. He made a good point--he left coming off a loss which wasn't really his design. But then again, that was one of his decisions and Grechen's point is well taken--he could've made a better shirt dress. The thing was hideous and Tim said it was plain. And what the FUCK was with that awful red cravat? Do women wear nasty dresses with cravats now? This fall? What?

I think Ivy should've walked. Her entire outfit was absurd. Maude jacket, cuffed walking shorts, burgundy tights... I forget all what else. Crap.

And 'Nova. I want to dislike him but as often happens with sleepy puppies and small children and people with terrible english...I just can't. NOt entirely at least. Sure, he's a drama queen and sure, he's got questionable taste...but when he looked into the camera, happy with the assignment, and proclaimed he was 'a fish IN water' I just about died. It was as good as 3 napping kitten youtube vids, you know?

Next week looks like a clusterfuck and I already have our assignment planned.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Oh, and Tim! Gah! I loved it. I especially like how he cut AJ off and was like: PAPA BEAR HAS TO DOLE OUT THE TOUGH LOVE NOW SO ZIP IT EVERYONE.

I have to say that even though it's a tv show, and a reality show at that, I always find a level of concern and absolute sincerity to TIm's contributions. He plays it straight. It's refreshing.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
Oh, and Tim! Gah! I loved it. I especially like how he cut AJ off and was like: PAPA BEAR HAS TO DOLE OUT THE TOUGH LOVE NOW SO ZIP IT EVERYONE.

I have to say that even though it's a tv show, and a reality show at that, I always find a level of concern and absolute sincerity to TIm's contributions. He plays it straight. It's refreshing.
Also note that Tim DID NOT wait until he had sent A.J. away to bitch slap team Luxe. He included A.J. basically saying Gretchen will run all over you if you don't have the balls to stand up for yourself. Also, he did not send the other team away before he let loose. That was for EVERYONE.

For all the shit we see, think how much more is going on between the snips we're shown!!

And the phrase of the day is, "STFU Gretchen."

And yeah, I see more than a little of myself, HOWEVER, I do actually try to read people enough to see that when I'm "expressing my ideas" there is a time to back off. However, this bunch has listened to her berate everyone's designs all season, so they think she is better. In this show, winning the very first challenges does not make you better, just more prepared. Helpful suggestions are one thing, pulling out the bull dozer to run all over everyone, treating them like she's their mother and they are fucking up their science project is something else.

crayola box

Ehh, I don't like Gretchen but everyone here is a grown-up so if Gretchen behaved badly its b/c they gave her the power to do so. I get the mob mentality and how easy it is to manipulate and be manipulated in that type of situation but still, this is a competition, if you can't hold your own you probably wouldn't make it in Fashion anyway. That being said her attitude on the runway sucked.

Personally I would have sent Gretchen or Ivy home, but don't blame them for A.J being banished, his shirt was horrid plain and simple.

Also- loooved the back of Casanova's top, such a pretty shape...though not for anyone who wears a bra I guess. I thought Valerie's was more nautical than military, and didn't get the hype over Peach's dress.

Oh team Luxe- camel, cream, gray AND menswear at the same time...it just sounds so trench-coaty, no way it could have ended well.

Tim, Tim, Tim, I wonder if he donates to any local sperm banks...

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
I think the general consensus is that Gretchen is not evil, just pushy and buying into her own hype in a really grating way. But I agree, the rest of the team was pretty spineless and is more at fault than she is. None of them seemed interested in producing a garment that could win the challenge. Strange. I wonder if Tim would have spoken so strongly if she hadn't still seemed so blasé when she came back from the critique. It was merited.

And I have it on good authority that Tim's swimmers go for $2000 a deciliter at the Green Market at Union Square. He's 100% certified organic, you know.

LisaInNC

I am sorry but I do think Gretchen is evil and Ivy is getting there. I am so glad Michael C. won tonight. Sort of an in your face moment. What kills me is even though he won they STILL were talking trash about his dress. I liked it a lot. Although, I do still adore Mondo's work.

As for the Michael who was in the bottom 3, I can GUARANTEE he will blame it all on the fat girl. "Oh if I didnt end up with the fat chick, I could have made something better." That dress was garbage. At least Peach TRIED.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I am sorry but I do think Gretchen is evil and Ivy is getting there. I am so glad Michael C. won tonight. Sort of an in your face moment. What kills me is even though he won they STILL were talking trash about his dress. I liked it a lot. Although, I do still adore Mondo's work.

As for the Michael who was in the bottom 3, I can GUARANTEE he will blame it all on the fat girl. "Oh if I didnt end up with the fat chick, I could have made something better." That dress was garbage. At least Peach TRIED.
I loved the fact Michael C's "thrown under the bus" moment was mentioned in the judging. Without that, he might not have eked out.

Gretchen was penalized for last week. Her design was very good and not totally expected, but the boots looked nasty with it. The top of the boots were dancing around on the model's legs.

April threw out the dress and kept a tuft. That was not the challenge.

I loved Cassanova's color combination. It doesn't look great in stills, but moving on the runway, it was vibrant and fluid.

One trouble with real people models is they simply don't show off the clothes in the same way. They don't move the same. If the runway really is the only place the judges see the clothes, that is a disadvantage, especially with Valerie's model who clumped down the runway.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Peach's dress was a monstrosity. Every time I saw it, it got worse. The thing was just hideous. Even if Michael Kors has no idea what a goiter is, he was right to trash that dress by comparing it to a disfiguring disease. I liked Peach in general, but she completely lost the plot.

I like the challenges that use non-models for the runway, because it shows who can really tailor clothes, and who can only make things one size. And one of the worst offenders was Ivy. Those pants looked horrible in the rear. Valerie's dress was also really poorly conceived and constructed. And although Michael D. did have a somewhat legitimate lament about an ugly dress and not much fabric to clothe a larger model (she was pretty tall, too), you could tell he pretty much gave up as soon as he got his model. I thought the judges were being a little harsh in calling it a bat mitvah dress - I thought he made a junior prom dress - but that may have been the magic of television. I bet that upholstery fabric looked offensive if you saw it in person.

The Gretchen/Ivy/Andy Waaahmbulance corps is really, really annoying. They're not good enough to be that bitchy. Gretchen is a stylist more than anything, Andy is inconsistent, Ivy hasn't done anything yet. I'm glad Michael C won. I didn't love his dress (I wasn't a huge fan of what the pocket did to the shape of the hips), but I liked it a lot. He's a solid designer. Perhaps he's weak in construction, but that will come to light eventually. In the meantime his stuff is equal to anyone. Mondo would have a stronger challenge if he didn't decide to channel Snooki so literally with the hairdo, but that almost makes me like him more. Tomorrow I'm buying white shorts and a matching bow-tie in homage to him. Gotta wear them before labor day!

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
Peach's dress was a monstrosity. Every time I saw it, it got worse. The thing was just hideous. Even if Michael Kors has no idea what a goiter is, he was right to trash that dress by comparing it to a disfiguring disease. I liked Peach in general, but she completely lost the plot.

I like the challenges that use non-models for the runway, because it shows who can really tailor clothes, and who can only make things one size. And one of the worst offenders was Ivy. Those pants looked horrible in the rear. Valerie's dress was also really poorly conceived and constructed. And although Michael D. did have a somewhat legitimate lament about an ugly dress and not much fabric to clothe a larger model (she was pretty tall, too), you could tell he pretty much gave up as soon as he got his model. I thought the judges were being a little harsh in calling it a bat mitvah dress - I thought he made a junior prom dress - but that may have been the magic of television. I bet that upholstery fabric looked offensive if you saw it in person.

The Gretchen/Ivy/Andy Waaahmbulance corps is really, really annoying. They're not good enough to be that bitchy. Gretchen is a stylist more than anything, Andy is inconsistent, Ivy hasn't done anything yet. I'm glad Michael C won. I didn't love his dress (I wasn't a huge fan of what the pocket did to the shape of the hips), but I liked it a lot. He's a solid designer. Perhaps he's weak in construction, but that will come to light eventually. In the meantime his stuff is equal to anyone. Mondo would have a stronger challenge if he didn't decide to channel Snooki so literally with the hairdo, but that almost makes me like him more. Tomorrow I'm buying white shorts and a matching bow-tie in homage to him. Gotta wear them before labor day!
I completely agree with you about ALL the pants. What monstrosities.

Bat mitzvah girl had great legs. I think he was trying to show them off, but I know that tacky chiffon he bought instead of going for the real thing, and you're right about the difference in life and TV.

What you said about real life people instead of models, I WISH people who take photographs and design catalogs for fat girls would realize this. They can put all the skinny girls in their clothes they want to, I KNOW I'm not going to look like that in their clothes.

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
All I can say is I want to sucker-punch the bitch who whined about getting the "Fat Girl".

Seriously? And I agree, I am damn sure he went whining "Oh it's all the fat girls fault, if I hadn't got her I coulda been better. Waaaa. "

Ugh. Go suck one, little boy. You suck at being a designer if you can't design for more than one size. He took a brides-maids dress and turned it into something I'd see a 12 year old girl wear to a formal occassion. :rolleyes:

Then again, it's easy for me to judge, I can't even sew. ..So..
Meh.

And I can't remember who's outfit it was [the one the judges said looked Tennis-Court-Esque.] But Dear Lawd. I'm so glad she didn't put those hideous Blue/red/white straps on her, She would have looked like an olympic-medal-wearing-Cheerleader! :doh:

Jes

is oddly aroused
oh boy, am i out of the loop! i DID watch though. But my BF and I went out with friends for a delicious cheeseburger dinner with all the fixins at this place in Wilmington DE (yes, we crossed state lines for a burger) and I ate 2 burgers and fries and special sauce and 2 onion rings (supposedly I 'stole' those--BULLSHIT) and a mile-high hot fudge sundae.

so then we didn't watch the show 'til 2 nights later, at which point he was all: Oh god, we have to watch this show now? I'm going to kill myself...

and then he proceded to watch every single second of the 90 minutes, making astute observations and interesting conversation. Big baby.

Anyway, some of that shit was just so awful. I loved MOndo's gown, so whoever said he was going to rock it was right on the money (Lisa?). The winning look....hmmn.... I got what the original dress was supposed to be. I thought the lace up top was HIDEOUS. I mean truly awful. It looked like a barely-folded doilie. Like, he just kind of tucked it in and was done. I didn't think the 'cap' sleeves were becoming...these were all things the judges liked. I didn't get it. I didn't.

I liked how the rest of the cast shit allover Michael again. Shut the fuck up! when YOU win you can talk!

In terms of the one larger model...I'm afraid I see it as a handicap, yes. Sorry to the poster who railed against MIchael. I didn't feel he made shitty comments. But let's be frank: having the model not considered conventionally attractive isn't great. It's not. What if everyone had to design a dress for a 20-something and one designer got a 60 year old? Nothing wrong with being 60...unless everyone else is 20! My point is that if there had been more women of varying sizes (most were fairly thin), things would've been better. But here's the thing--I don't love these challenges, in which each garment, each model and each model's preference, is different. That's hard. If you get a pain in the ass who doesn't know what he or she wants, and is willing to talk shit about you on the runway, good fuckin' luck! I realize that in the workaday world, everyone has clients, but still...these challenges are always somehow less satisfying for me.

ps: And my bf made a point vis a vis the larger model: if you're given 2 yards of extra fabric, can it be tough to make that stretch on a different body size? Now...I know that another 60 lbs doesn't need a 3rd yard of fabric, and I also know that Michael could have made better choices (higher quality fabric), but it is worth addressing, I think. Perhaps not in this case, but in some cases, those things matter.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I'm disappointed that Ivy wasn't bounced.

I also don't understand mondo's motivation or finished product. yuck.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I'm disappointed that Ivy wasn't bounced.

I also don't understand mondo's motivation or finished product. yuck.

The "we are the cool kids" seem to be invulnerable. I'm sorry, but "I had to dumb it down" should have resulted in her leaving. She is one of the great insulters, and has built herself up by putting others down.

This season has turned into a middle school bullying exercise. There are always teams, but the groups on this season, most of them being 30ish, make me nauseous.

Mondo did resort wear for a 10 year old girl. Still better than Ivy's. I think the judges are getting rid of everyone with any redeemable human values before the knife fights start.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Casanova started to be a bit endearing to me. Super talented? No. Always mature and unwhiny? No. Willing to learn from criticism? No.

Those things might normally put him out of my 'endearing' range, but there was something cute and loveable about him.

Thing is...I did like his outfit. Not for this challenge, I suppose, but I did think it looked chic. I can't say it was unique though. Those pieces probably exist elsewhere, unlike a black babydoll with an edge (I like how whatsherface said she'd wear that to a red carpet event. hahahah). But as an outfit, I liked it. It was plain though. I love neutrals like that, but dude needed a metallic shoe, a few cuffs and a big necklace.

Latest posts