Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
Casanova started to be a bit endearing to me. Super talented? No. Always mature and unwhiny? No. Willing to learn from criticism? No.

Those things might normally put him out of my 'endearing' range, but there was something cute and loveable about him.

Thing is...I did like his outfit. Not for this challenge, I suppose, but I did think it looked chic. I can't say it was unique though. Those pieces probably exist elsewhere, unlike a black babydoll with an edge (I like how whatsherface said she'd wear that to a red carpet event. hahahah). But as an outfit, I liked it. It was plain though. I love neutrals like that, but dude needed a metallic shoe, a few cuffs and a big necklace.
Even if the belt had been a little darker...like a coffee color...it would have been better. That model had the waist to pull it off.

Paquito

don't July to me
I liked Andy's bathing suit, but the cover just looked like a sleeping robe to me. Good job April, even if I didn't like it in black.

Ivy, Ivy, Ivy. You and and Gretchen make a great bitchduo, but I wouldn't have been sad to see you go. I like Mondo's jacket/top, but that was way too much color. One print and the rest a solid color might have done the trick. But when Mondo gave Michael kudos, I was happy. At least Michael has one non-hater in the house.

I dug the detail work on Casanova's shirt, but the long sleeves and pants did it in. Well the novelty designer usually goes around this time, so no surprise.

LisaInNC

I am sad Casanova is gone. He really grew on me. I think Ivy should have went. The judges said she is a seamstress not a designer and they were right. They should have let her go. Poor Gretchen...hasnt won anything in a while...she looks like she is just seething. I am glad Michael C. made a friend. I was really feeling bad for him.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
This episode drove me crazy. CRAZY! I was really unimpressed by April's outfit, but to be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a babydoll dress that I've really liked. So that's maybe my own issue. I also think she's a little full of herself. "Resort at an asylum"? "Edgy"? Please, you made a black babydoll. No revolution in fashion there.

I also hated Gretchen's outfit, and was shocked she was not in the bottom 3. Her top was horrible, sagged in all sorts of weird places, and the color scheme was stupid. I was also pretty surprised that Casanova went. I thought his outfit was average, and he should have been safe. When did Michael Kors specify that the challenge was resort wear for 18 year olds? Unfair scrutiny. Especially with that nightmare Ivy threw out. That was like what an 8 year old would wear if she was dressing up as a hippie for Halloween. So lame. She should have gone. Has she done anything noteworthy yet except for pass out?

I thought Mondo missed, but I appreciate his willingness to play at the edges of color/pattern combinations, maybe because that's something I like to do to.

I did love how they showed a Casanova montage at the end, like he was a dead film star being given an Oscars tribute. All the great ones go young!

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
My favorite quotes of the night:

Mondo - I never go on vacation. I sleep late and walk around my apartment in my underwear. That's resort wear for me.

Casanova - This challenge is very Michael Kors...This is not my challenge.

Oh my God! She believe that I am a retard!
(When talking about how Gretchen was talking to him and describing her design)

Jes

is oddly aroused
I was also pretty surprised that Casanova went. I thought his outfit was average, and he should have been safe. When did Michael Kors specify that the challenge was resort wear for 18 year olds?

I did love how they showed a Casanova montage at the end, like he was a dead film star being given an Oscars tribute. All the great ones go young!
Agreed. Who has the money for a resort? The AARP set. Younger people can afford vacations. But a resort is a whole other thing.

And yes, the montage was hysterical. But Paquito is right--the weirdo usually gets booted 'round now (except for Santino, who lasted way late into the game)

Jes

is oddly aroused
All right. Autumn is coming and I'm assigning the weirdest homework of them all.

Tonight, before you watch the show, you need to do a chore you've been putting off. It can be time consuming or it can be quick, but it needs to be something you've avoided at least a few times recently.

bags of garbage near my front door, i'm looking at you!

Jes

is oddly aroused
THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK.

i was going to take out the trash. maybe cook. maybe do a dish or 2 in the sink.

....and....nothing.

because i'm in a funk. a big, bad funk.

and oh man, some of tonight was just TRAGIC.

I have a lot to say but we'll wait 'til tomorrow.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK.

i was going to take out the trash. maybe cook. maybe do a dish or 2 in the sink.

....and....nothing.

because i'm in a funk. a big, bad funk.

and oh man, some of tonight was just TRAGIC.

I have a lot to say but we'll wait 'til tomorrow.
These people wouldn't know sportswear if it bit them in the ass. Show up at a sportswear appropriate event in almost any of these, and you would have people staring, and not in a good way.

We're not even going to go into the Jackie O lack.

Mondo came closest. The houndstooth was PERFECT. I guess the French fisherman's top was due to Bouvier.

indy500tchr

I am so glad that Mondo finally won. I've loved his stuff since the beginning. It's a bit out there but I think it's fab. And any guy who wears eyeliner, shorts and suspenders is awesome in my book.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I am so glad that Mondo finally won. I've loved his stuff since the beginning. It's a bit out there but I think it's fab. And any guy who wears eyeliner, shorts and suspenders is awesome in my book.
it was so Cabaret, wasn't it?

Jes

is oddly aroused
YES! I think he and Alan Cumming would look so cute together too. :)
Or Joel Grey! And Heidi could dress like a man and then sing.

Anyway, Mule, I agree--Michael never gave an age group for this challenge and I don't think you can bong someone for designing too old. But the judges do that a lot. Perhaps it's understood that you are designing for your (20 year old) model at all times, unless told differently? But you can't assume that's understood by all, right? I don't know.

I thought Mondo just missed it, badly. That wasn't resort wear for anyone. It was a 13 year old girl at the beach. A resort assumes that you'll be sunning and swimming, but also dining (not eating, DINING) and socializing and attending events or touring around or whatever.

I did like that the winner tried something new. I'm not sure how much I LIKED the something new, but at least it was a risk.

I loved whoever did the flowing sarong that became a wrap, or whatever, with the matching bathing suit underneath. Bathing suits are hard to make, as we've seen in other challenges in other seasons! I thought that was lovely and exactly right and very marketable.

indy500tchr

I loved whoever did the flowing sarong that became a wrap, or whatever, with the matching bathing suit underneath. Bathing suits are hard to make, as we've seen in other challenges in other seasons! I thought that was lovely and exactly right and very marketable.
It was Andy's design but I want to say that Valerie was the one who sewed it. I liked that one as well and totally thought it was going to be the winner. It was beautiful.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
If I were sharing a room with Mondo and Christopher, one of them would have been sent home pregnant by now. That's all I'm saying.

Mondo's cocktail dress this week is lovely!

Jes

is oddly aroused
Oh my (said in a baritone voice)

well...yeah.

You know, Gretchen was wearing a pantsuit today. That's really all I can think about right now.

I could tell her couture look was a lot of work, but I guess I don't get it. The styling was, indeed, awful (I mean, regardless of the era of the fashion inspiration, it's being made for the modern woman) and I just didn't like the aesthetic. I don't see women wanting to wear that, even for an over-the-top fashion show. Like, whoever got THAT dress in a fashion show would be bummed, and we all know it. They'd rather wear Mondo or the other guy's look.

That said, I think Mondo was just channeling whatshisface. Do you love how I can't recall ANYONE'S name right now? I guess I'm thinking of Marc Jacobs, a few seasons ago--bright primary-ish colors, stripes, plaids. I feel like I've seen something just like his dress, but all I can find for reference right now is this:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/20/202478/08_2009/0d8e42d8ee8e04c8_marcbymarcjacobs.jpg
Here's something else:
http://poshposh.com/image/2010/04/Marc Jacobs multi-colored plaid cotton-blend sleeveless dress.jpg
(and the above is proof that once you've made it in fashion, you're pretty much good to go. I mean if ANY PR contestants made that, they'd be out. It's like a horrible Teamsters take Granny to the Prom, right?) I did like the way the couture look translated to the day dress...it was instantly likeable, but dare I say...perhaps already available in the marketplace?

I coldn't totally embrace the other guy's look somehow either, though. I don't know. BUt yes, the pant/shoe/boot thing was a great idea on a budget and with 2 days to work. And his cocktail dress was divine. Just the right level of sheen, smartly kept black, and with long sleeves for once. That made it very sporty, for a dress. LOVE.

And the losers today really were losers. ouch.

I want to make one comment about positive attitude and compliment-giving--that Michael C. is one cool guy. For as much dissing as he's gotten, he had something nice to say about just about everyone's look. Now, maybe everyone did, and the producers chose to edit that out, I don't know, but there's something nice about that kid.

Paquito

don't July to me
I think Mondo deserved the win. I thought he and Michael were in the top, while Gretchen and Andy joined Valerie and Ivy in the bottom.

I saw nothing high-fashion about Gretchen's couture look. It just looked like a bad robe to me.
I liked Andy's cocktail dress, but it looked like he took those spiked Christmas ribbons all over the couture piece. Extra points for the pants though.

For me, it didn't matter if Valerie or Ivy were eliminated. I think they were equal in terms of suck, though I thought Ivy's ready-to-wear piece wasn't bad.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
I think it was time for Ivy to go, but then I've pretty much thought that from the beginning. I've not been a fan--even the Jackie O inspired look. Snoozeville and the jacket, while interesting for the fabric choice, looked sloppy and ill-fitting.

I think Michael C. needs to go--Sometimes his looks are okay, but mostly they're boring and sometimes just odd without being innovative.

Also, I don't see Andy's appeal in general--though I did like the pants he put together for the Jackie O challenge (not for that challenge, though). And I like his attention to detail.

I like Christopher, but he's so all over the place; he needs to pull it together, to focus his style.

That said:

Mondo, Mondo, Mondo!

NancyGirl74

The Safe Ones...April: Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Christopher: Usually I like his stuff. I think he's a "safe" designer. He never really goes too far over the top. This time, however, didn't love it. Hated it, more like. To me it was just...eww. (can't remember the other safe one but I know I was like "wha?!?" when they said his/her name)

Bottom of the Pack...Valerie: Oi. It wasn't as God-awful as they made it out to be but it was like nightgown meet prom dress meet over-the-top bridezilla. It could have been pretty but it was a hot mess. Ivy: Double Oi. Ivy's a bitch and not that talented (from what I've seen anyway) but I actually felt bad for her this time. I think her concept had potential and she just couldn't realize it. Oh well, buh-bye, Ivy. Michael C: I do love me some Michael C. I didn't hate his dress. In fact, I liked it. The train was totally out of control and yeah his ready-to-wear dress could have been longer but I didn't think he was bottom three.

The Top Three...Gretchen: *Head tilt, nose scrunched, lip curled* Hunh? I didn't get it. I didn't see it at all. Ok, Gretchen clearly put a lot of effort into her look but it was Mrs. Roper goes Hollywood...and Hollywood sends her back. I didn't like it. At all. Andy: I like Andy's style and I thought this look was funky enough to land him in the top three. His ready-to-wear was very nice. Mondo: I'm lovin' Mondo. I think he'll make it to the end. I like his style. I loved his dresses. It was all just fun and funky. I'm glad he won.

Latest posts