Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jes

is oddly aroused
I think I must be missing some of what's fashionable in fashion. It's true that there's a huge disconnect between runway and couture and ready to wear. One is a stage show, to some extent, one is high drama, and one is everyday (at least everyday if you dress up some days!). But Gretchen's pantsuits and that 70s thing ... they must be popular in fashion, based on how the judges receive them, and I get that I'm not on the cutting edge there. I do understand that it's a textile art, in some way, and that I'm not an artist. But I just wonder what they see in some of this stuff because I don't have that eye.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
http://www.starpulse.com/news/Becky_Broderick/2010/09/24/aposproject_runwayapos_recap_race_to_t

For their inspiration, the designers are asked to turn to the L'Oreal Paris Studio Secrets eyeshadow line, available now at a retailer near you!! Mondo and Ivy go for the "bright" palette, Christopher and Valerie choose "crystal," Michael and Andy pick "metallic," April chooses "matte" and Wheatgrass thinks she's very clever and daring for picking "velvet.
Wheatgrass.....ah ha ha ha ha

Jes

is oddly aroused
Nice!

What makes me nuts is the product placement. It's over the top. Ok, ok, they go to the L'Oreal paris Make up room. and the Garnier hair room. Or whatever they are. And we design on HP pads. And the fucking Piperlime wall is to be used thoughtfully, always thoughtfully, but enough already! Now we have to pick eyeshadow before a fabric or a garment? Yech. It's not like PR isn't doing so well, and has to whore itself out, you know? Of course, they wanted their money's worth for the $20k given to the winner, but still, I found it exceedingly heavyhanded.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
I was absolutely stunned that Gretchen was in the top 3. All I could think was Woodstock gone bad. I thought it was her worst performance of the season. Even that hairpiece she designed got called out by the judges. And to top it off, her 2nd look had no connection to the "couture" look, and the judges seemed to look right past that. Did anyone else see how they were related?

I feel a little sorry for April. Her outfit was good, but every single outfit she does, no matter what the challenge, is black with big shoulders. And I think she's boring the judges to death, but because she's been safe the last bunch of times, she never gets that feedback. I'm surprised Tim hasn't said something to her, but maybe he has and it's on the editing room floor.

I thought Michael C's stuff was decent, way better than Gretchen's anyways. His ready-to-wear was very smart. Heidi's comment that the problem with the dress was that it highlighted both the legs and the boobs at the same time was maybe the most bizarre critique I've heard on the show. Why is that a problem? Are we in some alternative universe where staring fixedly at a woman's breasts is a way to compliment her fashion sense?

I love Mondo, didn't love his couture dress. The big black panel in the front of the skirt threw me. But overall he was the best. Jes, were you thinking that he was channeling Seth Aaron? I can see that.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I love Mondo, didn't love his couture dress. The big black panel in the front of the skirt threw me. But overall he was the best. Jes, were you thinking that he was channeling Seth Aaron? I can see that.
i didn't care for the way the bodice moved independently of the model's body! and i think he had to rebuild something but i missed it b/c I was... online or in the bathroom or washing the cat, I don't know. There was a story there, I mean.

Anyway, yes, he had a Seth Aaron feel to it, but SA wouldn't have made that garment. It was more Marc Jacobs... not a total copy, but really, big, oversized, brights, with plaids and stripes....very MJacobs. I'm almost surprised the name didn't come up during judging. I'm not saying it was a copy, but a kind of Mondo homage--a Mondage, if you will (and I hear you do. Frequently).

Yeah, Grechen's ready to wear was ready to bore. The skirt had the chevron pattern stripe that the dress did, which was the link, but nothing else coordinated! you cfouldn't see where one spawned the other. And 'oh, it's very daring, that slit on the sides'--UGLY. Or rather, FUGLY. And the top of the ready to wear was very, very, very plain, boring and unflattering. I'm surprised that they liked any of her stuff. I think a number of designers did poorly, so maybe it was tough to find a top 3?

Now I want to know what Mondo's self-created fabric will be. Apparently, there's something Mondo-centric about it, but he won't share what it is.

Thoughts?

That's the homework. What deep dark secret (or, maybe, just a goofy nickname from childhood) is Mondo using in his fabric design? Person with the closest answer gets the A.

NancyGirl74

The fact that leg showed on Gretchen's ready-to-wear didn't seem "sexy" to me. It seemed like "oops, I ran out of fabric and couldn't make a full skirt." I can't understand the judges sometimes. They got on Michael C's case about too much boob and too much leg (Hello!?!?! Heidi Klum needs to go back and review some of her runway choices) but Gretchen got praised for not being able to make a whole skirt.

Maybe it's me. I just don't get it sometimes. :rolleyes:

indy500tchr

That's the homework. What deep dark secret (or, maybe, just a goofy nickname from childhood) is Mondo using in his fabric design? Person with the closest answer gets the A.
I think it's an impressionistic image of all the skeletons hiding in his closet.

AND the irony of the print is that one of his loved one's is gonna have to wear it....I mean that is what I got from the preview.

Jes

is oddly aroused
They got on Michael C's case about too much boob and too much leg (Hello!?!?! Heidi Klum needs to go back and review some of her runway choices) but Gretchen got praised for not being able to make a whole skirt.
:
They've made this complaint before, though, in past seasons. I think it's a valid one. I think it makes the dress look cheap. Sure, you can wear it. Sure there are certain places it might be appropriate, but most people aren't on a runway and most people aren't supermodels and most people aren't Heidi Klum. You couldn't wear Michael's dress most places, and I think that's the point. It was a question of taste level. It was a dumb mistake to make. But Gretchen's whole situation was terrible, start to finish. Other than the fact that she took a difficult fabric and put a lot of physical work into it, I hated it.

I'm wondering how much of the decisions at this point are made by the producers. The show credits indicate that they do wield considerable influence and I would guess that they're keeping Gretchen around b/c she seems like a bit of an instigator. She makes for good TV when she purses her lips and makes her cheesy judgements and pronoucements.

Jes

is oddly aroused
AND the irony of the print is that one of his loved one's is gonna have to wear it....I mean that is what I got from the preview.
Agreed--it seemed like family or close friend was showing up in the workroom.

NancyGirl74

They've made this complaint before, though, in past seasons. I think it's a valid one. I think it makes the dress look cheap. Sure, you can wear it. Sure there are certain places it might be appropriate, but most people aren't on a runway and most people aren't supermodels and most people aren't Heidi Klum. You couldn't wear Michael's dress most places, and I think that's the point. It was a question of taste level. It was a dumb mistake to make. But Gretchen's whole situation was terrible, start to finish. Other than the fact that she took a difficult fabric and put a lot of physical work into it, I hated it.

I must respectfully agree to disagree with you, Jes. Have you seen a Victoria's Secret catalog lately? Even the fall/winter clothes are short on top and bottom. Throw on a shrug and some sexy thigh-high boots and call yourself covered. That seems to be the style for those with the bods to pull it off anyway. It's not my personal style and it's not even all that attractive in my eyes but less seems to be more when it comes to fashion these days especially in a certain age group. A 20 something with a decent body would wear Michael C's uber-mini dress. Ready-to-wear just means ready to wear by some. Not one size/style fits all.

I also think that fashion caters to how people want to look and not what really looks good on people. I mean, skinny jeans in a country that has so-called epidemic weight issues? Please. :rolleyes:

Jes

is oddly aroused
I must respectfully agree to disagree with you, Jes. Have you seen a Victoria's Secret catalog lately? Even the fall/winter clothes are short on top and bottom. Throw on a shrug and some sexy thigh-high boots and call yourself covered. That seems to be the style for those with the bods to pull it off anyway. It's not my personal style and it's not even all that attractive in my eyes but less seems to be more when it comes to fashion these days especially in a certain age group. A 20 something with a decent body would wear Michael C's uber-mini dress. Ready-to-wear just means ready to wear by some. Not one size/style fits all.

I also think that fashion caters to how people want to look and not what really looks good on people. I mean, skinny jeans in a country that has so-called epidemic weight issues? Please. :rolleyes:
I will have to respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement! :)

I don't think that Victoria's Secret and the goals of PR are in line with one another. There's trends or low-brow fashion (and, VS is, after all, a lingerie maker!) and then there's high-brow, or PR, fashion. THese are supposed to be designers, not knock-off artists. So while, yes, you can find a garment like Michael C available in many places, I don't think anyone would argue VS is high fashion, or cutting edge, or pret-a-porter in a Macy's designer-line kind of way like the judges want PR garments to be. See what I mean?

And personally, I think skinny jeans on anyone but the most skinny just aren't flattering. So I'm with you on that one, sister.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I'm trying to decide what my homework answer is going to be. I think Mondo's print has words, or letters, or slang or something. I'm going to guess it's letters, maybe initials...His and someone else's? His real name? Something about never knowing his father? I have no idea....

Paquito

don't July to me
Something involving rainbow prisms, bow tie shapes, and perhaps plaid.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Small boys in lederhosen and houndstooth bow ties.

I actually love Mondo and all of his crazy.

NancyGirl74

I will have to respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement! :)

I don't think that Victoria's Secret and the goals of PR are in line with one another. There's trends or low-brow fashion (and, VS is, after all, a lingerie maker!) and then there's high-brow, or PR, fashion. THese are supposed to be designers, not knock-off artists. So while, yes, you can find a garment like Michael C available in many places, I don't think anyone would argue VS is high fashion, or cutting edge, or pret-a-porter in a Macy's designer-line kind of way like the judges want PR garments to be. See what I mean?

And personally, I think skinny jeans on anyone but the most skinny just aren't flattering. So I'm with you on that one, sister.

I feel ya. Still, while VS might not be "high fashion" it is what young women are wearing (at least the young women in my area). For all it's teeny tininess thought Michael C's supermini dress looked like a similar version of what's being worn today...but a bit classier.

But what do I know? My idea of high fashion for myself is an outfit without an elastic waistband. ;)

NancyGirl74

OH MY

(didn't expect that!)
I had guessed it would be something about growing up gay or coming out but no I didn't expect that either.

That part of the show aside, once again he was the best. I love, love, love the way he puts prints and colors together. Sadly, I don't think most people have that kind of eye so unless they are very fashion forward and very brave they won't be wearing Mondo's stuff. I'm not sure if that will hinder him or not on the show. Who knows with these judges. Still, I really like Mondo's stuff.

Didn't love Michael C's and usually even if I don't love it I still like it. Not this time. Evil eye? What the heck?!?

I didn't hate Gretchen's. Wanted to but couldn't. I actually liked it.

I'm so glad they finally realized that whats-his-name is boring! See?!? I can't even remember his name!

Andy, Andy, Andy...When he fails he fails in a big way. Get back in the game, kid!

April: Loved her print. It was my favorite. Didn't love the outfit. *shrug*

Time to say good-bye to Val. Toodles.

Latest posts