Project Runway 8: I Will Cut a Bitch

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jes

is oddly aroused
I wondered, to be honest, whether Michael C got that his dress looked like menswear--the open button down, the tie... I had this crazy feeling he didn't. He never said anything in the snippets we saw, and he honest-to-god looked surprised on the runway, like: Uh...I mean...YEAH, that's just what I meant! haha.

Your'e right, Nancy--when Andy fails, he really fails. He just horrible underwhelms. So disappionting for someone so talented.

I can't say for sure, having not been in their shoes, but I can't imagine getting to a point where I want to drop out of the competition. Not for having a bad week, not for not liking another designer and not for seeing my family. At the end of the day, they film for about 5 weeks total. I imagine being away from your kids for 5 weeks, if they're young, would be very tough. But everyone else? the singles, or the marrieds...I get that you want the support, but you have it. You can call people, I'm sure. It's just 5 weeks, to possibly make your life's dream happen, and if nothing else, to get to have experiences, and critiques, by experts in the field. I've not usually been one for homesickness, either, which is a factor, but I just think it's awfully weird. I can, however, understand being so freaked out by the pace and the challenges that you want to hide under the bed, but I just can't imagine getting to that place in your life and then wanting to leave of your own accord. 5 weeks, people! At the Atlas. It's not like you're on a hunger strike in a Turkish prison!

Loved Mondo's look. And when he started talking about his r-ship with his father, I was like: SCORE! I might win the homework assignment! ...and then not. I liked that MOndo felt relieved after he'd made his annoucement. I was worried that perhaps he'd felt like the moment carried him away and he overshared to a point with which he wasn't comfortable. You can't stuff that one back in the bag. I'm also glad the judges gave it up for him--I worried they might hold back b/c he was a 3-time winner and had a sob story. So... But yes, love his boldness and I do think women would wear that outfit. Not all of course, but you know how it is when you're walking down the street in NY, a city in which people do tend to dress up. People are really out there, wearing the higher end stuff, and workin' it.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
And personally, I think skinny jeans on anyone but the most skinny just aren't flattering. So I'm with you on that one, sister.
Went out to lunch yesterday (doesn't happen often). There's a fall feeling in the air. We're sitting outdoors at a restaurant, and a couple walk by. The girl's skinny jeans are so tight my friend and I just stare. Finally, I said, "Something about your jeans getting intimate with you is just wrong." My friend laughed and said, "All I could think was, 'That's gotta hurt.'" She was skinny, but NO ONE could be skinny enough for those jeans.

Not exactly the reaction you want to your wardrobe.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Not exactly the reaction you want to your wardrobe.
I believe Tim Gunn said it best: Jackie O. would _not_ have had a camel toe.

hahaha. Camel toe. SO GROSS.

Jes

is oddly aroused
ps: what is UP with my poor spelling in that post up there?? and I don't bother with spellcheck b/c i'm usually a great speller. Maybe that'll be the next homework assignment: identify all of my heinous spellos and typos!

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Not too much to say about the fashion this week. I thought Mondo was the clear winner. Print was great, styling was great, and the fact that the waist of the pants was WAY to high, rather than just high-waisted was crucial. April's drawing for her print was gorgeous, but her "everything I do is black" trope is undeniably holding her back. Flip a coin on Valerie and Andy - that was sad sack. And Christopher is so boring you forget to eliminate him. It's like playing dead during a bear attack - he's a genius.

As far as the other elements of the episode... this was the week where the channel change from Bravo became evident. The feeling of the whole episode was Lifetime Movie of the Week. It started with everyone acting like their mothers had just been let out of prison after a 20 year stint. I love my mother too, but surely you've gone a month without seeing her before? (Michael C gets a pass with his young son) It's not like they're cut off from the outside world - we've seen multiple contestants talking on the phone to their family several times! Geez.

I think the world of Mondo for what he did, but man did they produce the hell out of it! All those teasers, all the "will he, won't he." It cheapened the moment for me, to be honest. Some things don't need to fake melodrama, they have emotionality all their own. Just show it! And then when Valerie went through all of her goodbyes, I completely lost it. I kept thinking the next sentence out of her mouth was going to be, "And I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow!" Feh.

OK, I feel cleansed. On a positive note, for the PR historians among us - has their ever been someone who's won 3 weeks in a row? I can't think of one...

indy500tchr

OK, I feel cleansed. On a positive note, for the PR historians among us - has their ever been someone who's won 3 weeks in a row? I can't think of one...
Last season Emilo won 3 in a row... he was working with Seth Aaron as a team the first win with the Harlem inspired look, won on his own in the design your own fabric challenge (you know where he graffitied his name ESOSA which looked like ES <3 SA...which Tim said "it looks like Emilo Sosa loves Seth Aaron) , and co-won with Anthony for the red carpet challenge.

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
Last season Emilo won 3 in a row... he was working with Seth Aaron as a team the first win with the Harlem inspired look, won on his own in the design your own fabric challenge (you know where he graffitied his name ESOSA which looked like ES <3 SA...which Tim said "it looks like Emilo Sosa loves Seth Aaron) , and co-won with Anthony for the red carpet challenge.
Someone knows their fashion...:bow:

Jes

is oddly aroused
Thanks but I had a little help from the Interwebz...I will admit to being a PR fanatic but I don't have that good of a memory.
Well...even for doing the work I'm duly impressed. :)

Mule, yes, they overproduced that episode. I suppose it's the 90 min. format that really gives the editors free reign to do it. I didn't mind Ivy's comments at the end. I thought it was some feel-good stuff that balanced out some of Gretchen's past crankitude.

Now I'm off to watch Paquito's link!

Jes

is oddly aroused
I am about to cut a lot of bitches. A LOT OF BITCHES.

Jes

is oddly aroused
for reals. For starters, not unlike crack, Ivy is whack* I have to wonder why the editors kept everyone's dislike of Michael C for the cheating reason to themselves. I guess it heightened the 'wow' factor today, bt it would've been helpful to know that while quite possibly wrong, they had at least some reason for disliking Michael. Though, I think their collective dislike began earlier, right? Earlier than the Jackie O challenge I mean.

Ugh. It's all so convoluted. I can't really tell what happened. But Michael is still always nice, from what we can see. I knew this season was going to be an ugly one (hence the title for this thread!)

Gretchen loses it and talks of going home next week. Weird.

Anyway, you know what I thought, when I saw Heidi's trainwreck of a line? I was disgusted. DISGUSTED. I don't even know who would wear that stuff. It was unflattering, and more to the point, it looked like KMART shit, Hello Jacyln Smith!, and they couldn't define who was wearing this stuff. It's workout wear you don't wear to workout. But don't make it at all fancy! Because it's not fancy, it's exercise gear! But it's exercise gear you're not exercising in. So make sure it looks like stuff you take to the gym. Like Andy's very short mini dress. Because a lot of women wear that to the gym. To not work out in.

what?

i mean, a mom wouldn't even wear that dress when she's NOT at the gym, but instead, in and out of the SUV, picking up Starbucks and dry cleaning. I mean, it's a DRESS that shows your ASS CHEEKS. Which, normally, the PR people hate. Did I like the dress? Sure! But is it wearable in any real way? No. And is it gym clothing? What? NO.

So anyway, to go back a sec, this is the actual thought I had when I saw that horrible line of boring grey/brown misery that all looked horrible and horribly similar, but each with its own special brand of Fugly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale

(you can play this game at home too, folks!)

ugh.

*shout out to Whitney--hey, girl!

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
I think we all now know the bulk of Heidi's wardrobe when she's not on TV. She hits the WalMart/Kmart "workout clothes" section and goes to town. Not that I can blame her...torture your feet with pointy toed high heels long enough, and a little "slides" action must feel pretty good.

The short dress..you pull on some leggings and head out the door. I know because I've had a friend who has worn that EXACT wardrobe for years. We refer to leggings as "Darla pants."

That said, there are some clothes I wear around the house that I would not answer the door wearing....(Darla pants).

But, yeah, what an ugly challenge. Ugly, brutal, and WTF.

Jes

is oddly aroused
brutal, indeed.

look, i'm not one to talk; at home, I'm very often naked and sometimes, it's just a bra and panties. all day. ever fry bacon or cut the cat's nails without a shirt on? i don't recommend it.

but I just didn't get what this challenge was. And if Andy's winning dress was supposed to have tights/leggings with it to make it wearable, he should've made them. I was surprised no one commented at all that you couldn't wear that dress out.

Also, I found it fascinating that what's her face's LYCRA GYM SHORTS weren't workout clothes! haha. Of course, she's made them before (the whole outfit in fact) which is never smart, but I mean...they were gym shorts. Which aren't good for a workout wardrobe but apparently as ass-bearing dress is the big winner.

I didn't get it and I feel like the editors let us down, as viewers, in understanding just what the collection was supposed to look like.

I also thought this sense of 'it's not supposed to be for the actual gym, it's supposed to be out-and-about wear' idea was lost when you're looking at 7 light-grey outfits. Know what I mean? Those oversized visions in grey were not fashionable OR flattering, and I can't see the average woman who wants to buy 'designer' clothes from Heidi at Amazon going for that stuff to go shopping in.

I just didn't get the entire thing, start to finish. I'm half tempted to use the Bristol scale, item by item, just to make myself feel better. And by better, I mean grosser.

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane
LOL!!!

Okay, let's be serious...if one wore those to a store, one would appear in the next "people of WalMart" email circulating.

Somehow, that tells you what classification they fall in.

Jes

is oddly aroused
LOL!!!

Okay, let's be serious...if one wore those to a store, one would appear in the next "people of WalMart" email circulating.

Somehow, that tells you what classification they fall in.
i feel like the women here are styled differently than on the runway:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_354150122_2?ie=UTF8&node=2444785011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1998RKRC1SBZ1617927W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1277185242&pf_rd_i=507846

on the runway, it was like 90 lbs of woman and 200 lbs of fabric.

PLUS, only Andy's pieces have any pattern to them at all! More than getting a small bit of revenue, I hope he's getting kudos for at least making the collection slightly more noticeable!

what a shitbox!

Paquito

don't July to me
I was just surprised at how boring her line was. I mean she's always wearing really colorful or fashion-forward things, and her outfits were really lame. No color, nothing edgy, nada.

I did like Andy's dress though. And at least the boring guy is gone.

Jes

is oddly aroused
I was just surprised at how boring her line was. I mean she's always wearing really colorful or fashion-forward things, and her outfits were really lame. No color, nothing edgy, nada.

I did like Andy's dress though. And at least the boring guy is gone.
they pulled it way down (at the hem) and belted it for the collection.

i was surprised they picked all 3 looks for the line; frankly, i think they were desperate. Know what I mean? His looks rank a 3 or 4 on the Bristol scale; the rest are 7s.

QuasimodoQT

Shy viking
I think Heidi knew her collection was a snooze and wangled the PR tie-in not just for publicity, but to bail her out. And that's why she wanted extra looks- to add size to her small yawn of a collection.

Once again, she reminded me of a velociraptor in the workroom, grim of jaw and beady eyed, monitoring progress.

Funny- usually they want people to really show themselves- but this time Heidi was basically, "I like that, hate that, change this..." I mean, she really worked the client/boss thing. What other time were designers basically told so bluntly what to change? Even Michael Kors gave the designers a lot more freedom.

Latest posts