Random FOODEE Thoughts and Confessions

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Mishty

aluminum petunia
I've been craving all my favorite childhood Summer foods, like cold hot dogs, tomato on a cold biscuit, cucumber halves with salt,watermelon,egg salad sandwiches and lemonade.....I just had the hot dog, and lemonade, and IC first thing in the morning I plan on having the rest, :eat2: well most of it.

QuasimodoQT

Shy viking
On a whim today, I decided to make an attempt at baking homemade bread. I feel a bit like I cheated since we have a big KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook that makes it really quick to throw together. I wasn't sure at first how it would turn out, but squealed happily when it rose the first time and then rose again in the pans.

Baked right up beautifully with golden brown tops and a tender, soft interior. I could so do this again tomorrow. I'm ridiculously proud of myself for such a basic thing and even my bread baking granny declared it delicious. Yay!
Oooh, please would you share your recipe? I've been wanting to attempt bread, and just not sure where to start. Hearing you make it sound so easy is a great motivator!

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I just cut up the sweetest watermelon. (the first of our summer season of fruit eating) Im so anxious for it to get ice cold to eat it. I ate a few pieces while cutting it. I know that this watermelon wont last log with my big fruit eaters. hmm I have cherries in the fridge.. maybe they'll tide me over! :)
Summer means all my favorite fruits are in season.. nectarines, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, watermelon, blueberries. I love them all! oh and can't forget grapes.. my munching fruit :)

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
Oooh, please would you share your recipe? I've been wanting to attempt bread, and just not sure where to start. Hearing you make it sound so easy is a great motivator!
Absolutely! I actually used a recipe from the KitchenAid mixer book, but it's the one my grandmother recommended and I wasn't going to bet against the lunchroom lady :)

Basic White Bread

1/2 cup lowfat milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
5 to 6 cups all purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 1/2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about one minute.

Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about two minutes or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 about two minutes longer or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, for about one hour or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise another hour or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees F for thirty minutes or until golden brown (mine baked about twenty-five minutes). Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

Good luck!

QuasimodoQT

Shy viking
Thank you! I'll be trying this out ASAP, and repped you for your trouble. Here's to tried-and-true!

Absolutely! I actually used a recipe from the KitchenAid mixer book, but it's the one my grandmother recommended and I wasn't going to bet against the lunchroom lady :)

Basic White Bread

1/2 cup lowfat milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
5 to 6 cups all purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture and 4 1/2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about one minute.

Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about two minutes or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 about two minutes longer or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, for about one hour or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise another hour or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees F for thirty minutes or until golden brown (mine baked about twenty-five minutes). Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

Good luck!

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
IC that once in a while i read those Eat this, Not that articles on Yahoo and go "Ooh, i want to try that!" in the not that category :) i guess i'm a glutton :D

randomjenerator

Mind the Lexical Gap
Every summer, I go through a short phase where the only things I want to eat are steamed artichokes with mayo/balsamic vinegar for dipping and tomato sandwiches on white bread like my Papa makes.

MisticalMisty

Someone said that they had a better burger at McDonalds than In-n-Out. CRAZY. I'll take a fresh burger over a processed patty any day.

JoyJoy

I haven't either..I've purchased one..and jicama..but I can never bring myself to cook or do anything with them!
If you like carrot sticks and apple slices, you'll love jicama raw - to me it tastes like a combo of the two. Just cut it into sticks and snack away - no cooking needed. It's addictive and very refreshing.

MisticalMisty

If you like carrot sticks and apple slices, you'll love jicama raw - to me it tastes like a combo of the two. Just cut it into sticks and snack away - no cooking needed. It's addictive and very refreshing.
Thanks! I did the same thing with greek yogurt..I would buy it...it would go out of date and I would buy some more. Finally tried it eventually! lol

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
I would suggest for someone who is just testing out the waters with eggplant to prepare it in a simple fashion and see if you like it.

Wash and dry. Slice long ways or circles. Place on a sheet or colander and salt lightly. Then set for 30 mins, rinse and pat dry.

Lay them out on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and roast until done.

You can add sauce and or cheese or just eat as is. I don't fry and like them roasted or as a ratatouille.

Plus my bff makes the best eggplant parmesan in the world. I would not even attempt it.

Chimpi

into the shining sun
I think I'm going to have to try this. I love both carrot sticks and apple slices. :)

Mishty

aluminum petunia
This week alone, we've canned 30 quarts and 10 pints of tomato sauce, 15 quarts of pickled green tomatoes, about 20 pints of pickled squash relish, and so many quarts of green beans and crowder peas I lost count. Sad thing is, I helped pick another thirty pounds of tomatoes today.

It's almost freezing weather, which mean I'll be snapping peas and beans and shucking corn for freezing,I'll be in a veggie hell till the Summer is done.

IC I'm almost tired of veggies right now, the mere sight of a garden or a Mason jar has me sighing in despair.

randomjenerator

Mind the Lexical Gap
I've always been a bit of a microwave snob as far as "cooking" goes. Not sure why, but there ya go. I recently received the Tupperwave stacked cooker set from Tupperware and a friend has been bugging me to make a cake in it. I love to bake, so the thought of cake (from a box, gasp!) in the microwave kind of had me side-eyeing...but I checked my food snobbery at the door and tried it. It was too simple not to.

1 box of yellow cake mix (any flavor will do)
12 oz soda (I used sprite, but again...whatever works)
frosting (which is optional)

You stir up the mix and soda, dump it in the cooker and then add a few dollops of frosting if you like. Cook for 10 minutes. Cool.

I'm really pleased with the turnout. It's pretty darn good!

View attachment microcake.jpg

Latest posts