Random health related "confessions"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
It's hot as hades today and that doesn't make my MS very happy.

*feels like i'm walking though, hot wet sand* Ugh.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I'm contemplating Weight Watchers for the first time in my life.

I ignore my diabetes and it would be a whole lot easier on my MS if I lost some weight.

Really conflicted and scared about the whole thing...

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena

I ignore my diabetes and it would be a whole lot easier on my MS if I lost some weight.

Weight Watchers does try to teach you how to eat right as opposed to any sort of crazy eating tricks, like some of the other ones.

My main issue with them is that the goal weights are ridiculously low (mine's like 120, to maintain myself at 180 I had to work out for 2 hours a day and eat no more than 1200 calories), but they'll also let you set a higher goal with your doctor's OK. I really liked it, to be quite honest.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Weight Watchers does try to teach you how to eat right as opposed to any sort of crazy eating tricks, like some of the other ones.

My main issue with them is that the goal weights are ridiculously low (mine's like 120, to maintain myself at 180 I had to work out for 2 hours a day and eat no more than 1200 calories), but they'll also let you set a higher goal with your doctor's OK. I really liked it, to be quite honest.
I've taken the Diabetes course offered by our Hospital here and a healthy cooking class from the Diabetes Association of Canada, I just don't put things into practice. (stupid emotional eating issues). I don't want a goal weight, I just want to feel better. My Dr. is on WW and she showed me their online site and how you can track your food and stuff and it looks really cool. I might look into that option.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it!

Miss Vickie

I've taken the Diabetes course offered by our Hospital here and a healthy cooking class from the Diabetes Association of Canada, I just don't put things into practice. (stupid emotional eating issues). I don't want a goal weight, I just want to feel better. My Dr. is on WW and she showed me their online site and how you can track your food and stuff and it looks really cool. I might look into that option.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it!
I think that sounds really reasonable. Like Diana, the goal weights are ridiculous but when I tried the online thing, it seemed like you could pick your own goals. What helped me was the range of total points per day you could give yourself. If I'd given myself the amount appropriate based solely on my weight I'd have eaten more; however, knowing my messed up metabolism I was able to lower it. It really helped me pay close attention to what I was eating in a more positive way.

I hated the meetings -- too much "attagirls" for weight loss. But I think the program itself is pretty sound.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I just got tested for food allergens because I've been having IBS symptoms for several years now, and apparently one of the items I have an intolerance to is corn.

Isn't corn in almost everything these days in some form?
I don't have issues with corn (as far as I know.....) but do with dehydrated onion and garlic, and to a lesser degree with soy (and some other, less prevalent, things), and between them they sure seem like they are in everything......

.....everything prepared, that is. I certainly read ingredients regularly these days, and can find things that are 'safe,' and I'm sure you can too. But far more than that, I'd say: cook for yourself, from basic ingredients, and all you'd have to avoid using are corn syrup and corn starch. Cook enough for supper that you have leftovers for lunch the next day.

The only real challenge is when you need to eat out. Big chains you may be able to find information about their ingredients on-line, and smaller places you could be bold and ask, although you can probably take a guess sometimes: the julienne salad is probably safe, but I wouldn't trust any bread product not to have corn syrup in it unless you ask, etc.

Good luck sorting through this to find a lifestyle that works for you. It sucks to have to make changes and to give things up.....but it sucks less than not doing so and living the consequences.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I think that sounds really reasonable. Like Diana, the goal weights are ridiculous but when I tried the online thing, it seemed like you could pick your own goals. What helped me was the range of total points per day you could give yourself. If I'd given myself the amount appropriate based solely on my weight I'd have eaten more; however, knowing my messed up metabolism I was able to lower it. It really helped me pay close attention to what I was eating in a more positive way.

I hated the meetings -- too much "attagirls" for weight loss. But I think the program itself is pretty sound.
I'm going to look into the online program. I think it might be more up my alley and if I feel like going to a meeting I can always just 'drop in'.

MLadyJ

Surley...I have friends who have been on the "New" WW points program and like it. I do know the feeling of being overwhelmed by my health issues. If I try to look at/handle everything at once I get so depressed I don't want to move. An article I read said to try handling only what is directly in front of you today..if it's the diabetes, then only deal with that. If it's the MS symptoms they deal with that. Somedays it works well and other days..I need to practice more..lol..Hope you're feeling better. I know talking to people on this board really helps. Take care..

EMH1701

But far more than that, I'd say: cook for yourself, from basic ingredients, and all you'd have to avoid using are corn syrup and corn starch. Cook enough for supper that you have leftovers for lunch the next day.
Actually, from what I've read on corn allergy sites, there are many, many ingredients derived from corn that aren't obvious that are also in nearly everything. Dextrose, dextrin, citric acid (possibly corn-derived), white vinegar (often made from corn so most condiments are out unless I make them myself), baking powder (has corn starch except for like one brand made with potato starch), caramel color (which means even most diet sodas are out)...the list goes on. Some of the waxing they put on vegetables and fruits (like apples) has corn in it. Enriched pastas and rice -- the enriching comes from corn starch but is not required to be labeled as such, only as "enriched."

Also, corn is in our plastics now, and they're not required to be labeled as such.

Basically it seems that going low-carb will be the way to go, since corn is in pretty much every commercially-made carb product in some way or another. Sigh.

So I'm finding this an annoyingly daunting task.

I recently went out to eat with my parents at a sushi place, and you'd figure that would be safe. But I am pretty sure the sauce on the fried rice had corn starch in it. So now anything at a restaurant with unidentifiable sauces is out, and that means most salad dressing as well, unless of course I make it. Luckily, I know how to make olive oil vinaigrette and one can buy pure apple cider vinegar.

Reactions: Tad

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Surley...I have friends who have been on the "New" WW points program and like it. I do know the feeling of being overwhelmed by my health issues. If I try to look at/handle everything at once I get so depressed I don't want to move. An article I read said to try handling only what is directly in front of you today..if it's the diabetes, then only deal with that. If it's the MS symptoms they deal with that. Somedays it works well and other days..I need to practice more..lol..Hope you're feeling better. I know talking to people on this board really helps. Take care..

Thanks so much for your reply!

MisticalMisty

Have you tried just switching to a low carb or a paleo/primal diet? Also, there are programs online like FitDay and Lose it where you can track your food for free.

I contemplated WW for a little while, but I feel like the free foods would be total sabotage for me..especially all the fruit. I can tolerate mostly berries with the 'beetus, but not much else and I think it would tempt me too much.

I had a heart to heart with my dr. about being on insulin etc, and he suggest the Rosedale diet and then mentioned that it's very similar to paleo or primal. Now that I'm stuck in this stupid, fucking boot for 3-6 more months..I'm going to give it a go. I don't want to worry about calories, etc. I just want to eat what's healthy.

As an aside, a lot of time diabetes educators, diabetes associations, etc just allow too many or promote eating way too many carbs. I know that it's worked for me in the past for my numbers, energy level and weight loss. Good luck with whatever you decide!

minerva

Folks at work were doing WW, and it worked well for many of them. The points do make things easy, and somewhat painless. And there's no reason that you need to pay attention to their goals or continue attending meetings once you have worked it into your daily life, unless it helps.

I am not a meeting person (especially with people at work), so ignored it and kept on with what I was doing. But I do think that there is benefit especially early on in the camaraderie and tips from other people in the same situation, so you might want to drop in a few times early on.

I don't have diabetes or MS (struggling with both would be so tough! I am impressed with your fortitude), but did have a health scare of my own last year that was so unpleasant. So I know how you are feeling.

Have you tried just switching to a low carb or a paleo/primal diet? Also, there are programs online like FitDay and Lose it where you can track your food for free.
I also know people who have had alot of success on those diets. They aren't for me. I like bread and I'm a vegetarian, but if WW doesn't 'click' for you it could be something to look into.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Folks at work were doing WW, and it worked well for many of them. The points do make things easy, and somewhat painless. And there's no reason that you need to pay attention to their goals or continue attending meetings once you have worked it into your daily life, unless it helps.

I am not a meeting person (especially with people at work), so ignored it and kept on with what I was doing. But I do think that there is benefit especially early on in the camaraderie and tips from other people in the same situation, so you might want to drop in a few times early on.

I don't have diabetes or MS (struggling with both would be so tough! I am impressed with your fortitude), but did have a health scare of my own last year that was so unpleasant. So I know how you are feeling.

I also know people who have had alot of success on those diets. They aren't for me. I like bread and I'm a vegetarian, but if WW doesn't 'click' for you it could be something to look into.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance

I contemplated WW for a little while, but I feel like the free foods would be total sabotage for me..especially all the fruit. I can tolerate mostly berries with the 'beetus, but not much else and I think it would tempt me too much.

I had a heart to heart with my dr. about being on insulin etc, and he suggest the Rosedale diet and then mentioned that it's very similar to paleo or primal. Now that I'm stuck in this stupid, fucking boot for 3-6 more months..I'm going to give it a go. I don't want to worry about calories, etc. I just want to eat what's healthy.

As an aside, a lot of time diabetes educators, diabetes associations, etc just allow too many or promote eating way too many carbs. I know that it's worked for me in the past for my numbers, energy level and weight loss. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm afraid i'm not a good diabetic, at all. I need to get back on the wagon in a big way. Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it a lot.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I am on 100mcg of levothyroxine. I am wondering if anyone else here who takes it has experienced memory problems while taking it. Lots of little things, but most concerning was the other day for a split second I forgot how to walk down the steps of my porch. Also I was lost in our warehouse at work because I never go out there so it's NOT a place I am familiar with, but once back in my office I kept having flashbacks of being lost and felt disoriented. For brief seconds my office looked alien to me.

EMH1701

I have to go for a physical tomorrow, and I'm extremely nervous. Have met this doctor but I've never had a physical with her.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I am on 100mcg of levothyroxine. I am wondering if anyone else here who takes it has experienced memory problems while taking it. Lots of little things, but most concerning was the other day for a split second I forgot how to walk down the steps of my porch. Also I was lost in our warehouse at work because I never go out there so it's NOT a place I am familiar with, but once back in my office I kept having flashbacks of being lost and felt disoriented. For brief seconds my office looked alien to me.
Lamia, I do not take levothyroxine, but I am alarmed by your temporary memory loss. I think this is something you should talk to your doc about. Also, the NIH (National Institute of Health) wants to be informed of any unusual side efffects of medications. (**See My notes in last paragraph.)

Levothryroxine has a drug effects website. It is here.
http://www.rxlist.com/levoxyl-drug/patient-how-to-take.htm

They also have a comment board where other users of the med can comment and talk to each other. I read some of their posts & I think you will find them helpful (or interesting). The comments of patients are here . . . .
http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/rxlist_view_comments.asp?drug=levoxyl&questionid=fdb6137_pem

Also, keep in mind that levothyroxine has several aliases. Here are some other names that the drug may go by . . . . .
Brand Names: Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Unithroid
Generic Name: levothyroxine

** On temporary memory loss - I sometimes experience the same thing due to multiple sclerosis. For instance, I have forgotten how to write a check. I might forget something even simplier - right? left? So far, these gaps in my memory have self corrected. I think when my brain runs into a corrupted neural pathway, it takes another route and retrieves the info from a open pathway. (MS destroys the protective lining of the nerves in the brain and messages short out.)

Lamia

Like OMG!!
** On temporary memory loss - I sometimes experience the same thing due to multiple sclerosis. For instance, I have forgotten how to write a check. I might forget something even simplier - right? left? So far, these gaps in my memory have self corrected. I think when my brain runs into a corrupted neural pathway, it takes another route and retrieves the info from a open pathway. (MS destroys the protective lining of the nerves in the brain and messages short out.)
wow...back in 2000 I had a brain scan and the neurologist told me I had "two Foci of abnormal flair" he said it could be a tiny stroke..MS...or nothing. I was supposed to go back, but I lost my job and insurance. Perhaps now that I have insurance I could get that checked out.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
My memory was often laughed at in my family because it was so deep. MS has changed that so much. My short term memory for some things is almost non-existent now. My desk at work is covered in yellow post it notes. I'm working with it though by repeating things over and over in my head and that seems to help a lot. It feels like someone brushed stroked away at random a lot of my past memories as well. I hate it so much.

Lamia, I really hope you get the answers you need.

EMH1701

Went to my physical and was pleasantly surprised. No lectures.

Apparently at least some doctors are starting to realize that lectures don't magically make people skinny.