Random health related "confessions"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

imfree

In Remembrance
My shortness of breath and CHF really have me frightened.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
My shortness of breath and CHF really have me frightened.
I have been thinking about you lately. You haven't had any steriod injections into your spinal column in the last couple of months have you? When I heard about the fungal menningitis health scare (worse in the state of TN) I wondered if you have had steriod injections during the "hot" time of contaminated steriod medication.

The CDC says this outbreak or whatever it will be is just starting and we are just looking at the tip of the iceberg. They think that many patients have actually received doses of this material. So far 10/5/2012 there have been 5 victims dead/35 cases of fungual meningitis/ and covering 6 states.

imfree

In Remembrance
I have been thinking about you lately. You haven't had any steriod injections into your spinal column ..snipped...
No Ma'mme, the only non insulin injection I've had lately was a flu shot Monday. I've seen a bit of coverage about the outbreak and how it's thought to be a result of a steroid that got tainted while it was being made at a compounding pharmacy.

Miss Vickie

It could be worse, Vick... remember some of us have to wear them every day of our lives, and have to settle for beige or black. It does suck... a lot. ESPECIALLY in the summer when all you want is to wear sandals and run around with bare legs!
By worse you mean like Stage II pulmonary Sarcoidosis, Pseudotumor cerebri, migraine headaches, cataracts, thyroid cancer and blood clots? You mean like that kind of worse?

Yeah it's a regular party around here. Plus, since my legs are so disfigured from the torturous varicosities, and phlebitis, I haven't gone bare legged in years. Lucky for me though, I live in Alaska so our summers are about two weeks long (a slight exaggeration!) so heavy wooly tights and boots are the usual uniform for much of the year.

The problem I have with the stockings is that I'm allergic to spandex. So on top of everything else, I have nice little hives all over my legs. So between the bruising from the blood thinners and the rash and hives, I'm quite a sight!

I know, right?

Course now my mammogram has come back abnormal, so there's that.
Oh seriously???? You're too young for this crap, Diana, but you know once you enter the nursing profession it's party time for every single diagnosis. I'd like to think it gives me empathy for my patients but I wish I'd somehow found another way to learn that.

Hang in there, darlin', and let me know if you want to talk, ok? Remember your age is on your side.

lablueeyes

My confession is I have not been to the doctor in about 5 years even though I have pcos. I know that I have a high possibility of having diabetes and high cholesterol but just thinking about going makes me very anxious. I have finally scheduled an appointment for a physical for next week but I am so nervous about going. My biggest fear is the doctor will fuss at me about my wieght. I also have boils which are very embarrassing for me. I don't handle criticism very well. When I get critized I feel like I am 10 years old again. I am terrified of what harm I have done to myself.

Reactions: Tad

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
Oh seriously???? You're too young for this crap, Diana, but you know once you enter the nursing profession it's party time for every single diagnosis. I'd like to think it gives me empathy for my patients but I wish I'd somehow found another way to learn that.

Hang in there, darlin', and let me know if you want to talk, ok? Remember your age is on your side.
I'm hoping it's just a first mammogram bit of weirdness. But this on top of classes, on top of my thyroid still not being the right dose, on top of my job changing my schedule every day, is getting to be a bit much.

Also, I'm still spotted like a leopard. Stupid allergies :mad:

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Very stiff this past weekend and today. Uncomfortable.

I often forget that it's ok to take a Tylenol or an Ibuprofen.

Diana_Prince245

Wise as Athena
My second round of mammograms came back all clear. They didn't even send me for an ultrasound, even though they told me when I came in that was the plan.

I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders.

Tracyarts

I had an appointment with my endocrinologist today that ended up with the proverbial good news and bad news.

The bad news first, my blood glucose is up and the doctor believes it is related to ineffectively managed depression and/or anxiety. So, I need to get back to my primary care doctor to see what next step I can take to manage it better, because what I'm doing right now obviously isn't working so well.

But for the good news, my blood pressure was fine. It had been high, but I've been making an effort to cut back on salt and exercise more regularly and apparently it paid off.

Tracy

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
Home from Total Knee Replacement.....its been 4 days and i struggle with getting COMFORTABLE....slowly working on progression of getting my knee straight again and getting it bent to full 90.....slowly I guess this will progress!!!

moore2me

Home from Total Knee Replacement.....its been 4 days and i struggle with getting COMFORTABLE....slowly working on progression of getting my knee straight again and getting it bent to full 90.....slowly I guess this will progress!!!
This sounds like it could be painful, has it been? How did things go in the hospital? (I think this may be my future in the next ten years.) How were you treated in the hospital?

Miss Vickie

My confession is I have not been to the doctor in about 5 years even though I have pcos. I know that I have a high possibility of having diabetes and high cholesterol but just thinking about going makes me very anxious. I have finally scheduled an appointment for a physical for next week but I am so nervous about going. My biggest fear is the doctor will fuss at me about my wieght. I also have boils which are very embarrassing for me. I don't handle criticism very well. When I get critized I feel like I am 10 years old again. I am terrified of what harm I have done to myself.
I hope that by now you have gone to the doctor and started getting treated. I know that it hurts when we feel criticized, but remember -- as bad as it is, you can't die from it. However, some of the complications of PCOS (like heart disease and diabetes) can be disabling and deadly. So please, don't let fear of someone's opinion keep you from getting the treatment you deserve.

And if the doctor is a jerk? Find a different doctor. Or better yet, a nurse practitioner. They tend to be a LOT more accepting, spend a LOT more time with you and will educate, not criticize you.

Best of luck, and remember, even if avoiding treatment means you're not as healthy as you could be, then you're doing an even more important thing by getting seen. Anything that's happened in the past is history, but each day you have the chance to make choices for your health.

I'll be thinking of you!

Very stiff this past weekend and today. Uncomfortable.

I often forget that it's ok to take a Tylenol or an Ibuprofen.
Yeah me too! It's odd, isn't it? And those simple things can make such a huge difference.

My second round of mammograms came back all clear. They didn't even send me for an ultrasound, even though they told me when I came in that was the plan.

I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders.
Excellent news!!!!!! Diana's got happy boobies!

I had an appointment with my endocrinologist today that ended up with the proverbial good news and bad news.

The bad news first, my blood glucose is up and the doctor believes it is related to ineffectively managed depression and/or anxiety. So, I need to get back to my primary care doctor to see what next step I can take to manage it better, because what I'm doing right now obviously isn't working so well.

But for the good news, my blood pressure was fine. It had been high, but I've been making an effort to cut back on salt and exercise more regularly and apparently it paid off.

Tracy
Tracy, that's interesting that your endo thinks that your state of mind is affecting your glucose. I'm not surprised at all (stress increases blood sugar quite easily) but I'm impressed that your doctor was that... in touch... to come up with that. I'm sorry to hear that you're having some mental health issues, but I hope you're able to get some good help so you feel better physically and emotionally.

My confession?

I'm freaked that I have to have cataract surgery in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the very low dose of prednisone I've been on since last December has caused a hum DINGER of a cataract in my right eye, to the point where my vision can't come anywhere near normal even with correction. And with glare? Fuggedaboudit. I'm 20/400+ in my right eye, right as we enter the darkest time of the year here in Alaska.

I'm not squicked out about much (obviously -- I'm a RN) but someone messing with my eye? Yeah... pretty freaked about that. OTOH, the good news is that insurance will cover it at 100% and I can get done quickly. We're doing the really bad eye (my right), and not sure if, or when, we'll do the left because it's much more stable. Which is another odd thing, why one eye more then the other?

I have a strange body.

lablueeyes

Thank you for your words of wisdom miss vickie. I am not sure if I am completely comfortable with this doctor or not. The thing I keep coming back to is before he even examed me he asked what my feelings on WLS were. I know I am fat but that question just isn't sitting well with me. I thought that since it is MAJOR surgery that there is more criteria than that. I go back in 2weeks to get the results of the blood work and will see how I feel then. He is/was doctor to several of my family members but I just am not convinced he is the one for me.

moore2me

Thank you for your words of wisdom miss vickie. I am not sure if I am completely comfortable with this doctor or not. The thing I keep coming back to is before he even examed me he asked what my feelings on WLS were. I know I am fat but that question just isn't sitting well with me. I thought that since it is MAJOR surgery that there is more criteria than that. I go back in 2weeks to get the results of the blood work and will see how I feel then. He is/was doctor to several of my family members but I just am not convinced he is the one for me.
When the doctor asks me what I feel about WLS, I would tell him/her the truth. Sometimes the doctor can be educated on the good and bad parts of this surgery along with everyone else. Not all doctors have a closed mind.

However, I really, really think tho you need to get good control on your blood sugars and your blood pressures. You can do these things thru chemistry and/or thru lifestyle changes and dietary changes. I have ended up doing most of mine thru chemistry (pills).

Not keeping good controls over your blood sugars can set you up for diabetes to destroy almost every important organ system in your body. It can also keep wounds from healing and can make you more susceptible to other sicknesses.

Not keeping good controls on your blood pressure can set you up for strokes and or blood clots. Too high blood pressure can cause a blow out in a weak area of circulation (like air in a tire). Too high cholesterol can cause plaque deposits on the inside of arteries (and veins) that narrow the blood pipeline and can also cause heart attacks or strokes due to inadequate blood to the heart or brain.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
This sounds like it could be painful, has it been? How did things go in the hospital? (I think this may be my future in the next ten years.) How were you treated in the hospital?
It was slightly painful in the first week....Hospital was amazing..I have been there several times, as they have 1 wing specifically for knee/hip/back replacements/surgery with OT/PT on the same floor. I got a single room!!! I was only there for 2 nites..and 2 full days of PT....it was wonderful...

It is a week since my surgery and I went back to work for a 1/2 day..and
am starting OUT patient PT tomorrow get my 1 hour analysis!!!

I am way above the curve, barely using a cane in only a week....leaving it places constantly...I FEAR the PUBLIC and driving the most right now...but it is going AMAZING!!!

I tapered off of pain meds in the week, I realized they aren't helping so much, and I would rather embrace the pain then DULL MY SENSES; but that's just me

lablueeyes

moore2me said:
When the doctor asks me what I feel about WLS, I would tell him/her the truth. Sometimes the doctor can be educated on the good and bad parts of this surgery along with everyone else. Not all doctors have a closed mind.

However, I really, really think tho you need to get good control on your blood sugars and your blood pressures. You can do these things thru chemistry and/or thru lifestyle changes and dietary changes. I have ended up doing most of mine thru chemistry (pills).

Not keeping good controls over your blood sugars can set you up for diabetes to destroy almost every important organ system in your body. It can also keep wounds from healing and can make you more susceptible to other sicknesses.

Not keeping good controls on your blood pressure can set you up for strokes and or blood clots. Too high blood pressure can cause a blow out in a weak area of circulation (like air in a tire). Too high cholesterol can cause plaque deposits on the inside of arteries (and veins) that narrow the blood pipeline and can also cause heart attacks or strokes due to inadequate blood to the heart or brain.
Thank you for taking your time to anwser but as of right now I have not been diagnosed with anything. I am waiting on my results. I don't have high blood pressure either. That is why his question seemed out of place to me. It would have been different if I had something then I could understand why.

I did tell him that I knew that WLS could really be beneficial but that I also know that there are bad things that can go wrong.