Random health related "confessions"

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by Surlysomething, Feb 11, 2011.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Dec 3, 2014 #621

Oona

Oona

Oona

¬.¬

I've been in the hospital twice in the last month. And had emergency dental work two days ago. I've missed two days of work in a "no time off" period. My job is on the line and I think I want to run away from life.

2. Dec 11, 2014 #622

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

I have to go for a colposcopy and cervical biopsy next week because my most recent pap smear came back with low-grade abnormal cells. The OB/Gyn says it's nothing too concerning but does need to be investigated further.

Getting the pap smear was difficult and uncomfortable, so I am absolutely terrified about this test. The nurse explained what is going to happen but I am still not okay with it.

3. Dec 12, 2014 #623

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I've had my sleeping oxygen levels monitored so we will see how that goes. My mum thinks that when I get my sleep sorted out it will probably help with the other health issues I have been having. I hate having to take medication but for now I have to take three different medications a day, two of them I have to take three times a day. And it is difficult, sometimes.

4. Dec 15, 2014 #624

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

Curves for miles

I am with you loopy.. I hate taking meds!

5. Dec 16, 2014 #625

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I bashed my toe saturday and the whole big toenail turned black. My podiatrist took one look at it and told me the nail is coming off Now!

Just call me the nine toe-nailed Fuzzy.

6. Dec 16, 2014 #626

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

My doc is doubling my thyroid medication dose. I am not looking forward to the side effects.

7. Dec 18, 2014 #627

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

Applying neosporin to a place where there is no toenail feels.... like a new toenail is already there. There isn't, but the area is very smooth. Huh.

8. Jan 31, 2015 #628

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

I got a letter from the hospital inviting me to have a CPAP machine fitted next month.

It has been over a year since my debilitating sleep problems started and finally, finally, they have actually decided to do something. Here's hoping it helps.

9. Jan 31, 2015 #629

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.

YAY! I'm so happy for you, loopy. If you have a hard time with it, don't give up - lots of resources out there to make it work for you. cpaptalk.com is a message board I spent a LOT of time on when I was a new users learning to make things comfortable for myself!

10. Jan 31, 2015 #630

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

Fingers crossed for a good outcome for you, loopy. Getting enough sleep makes everything better!

11. Jan 31, 2015 #631

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Thank you both so much! =)

12. Feb 2, 2015 #632

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

The stiffness that was in my left knee after spraining it the other year has now moved over to my right hip. Yeah, I know that's not a good sign. I've started doing some yoga poses for the right hip.

13. Feb 11, 2015 #633

Victoria08

Victoria08

Victoria08

I need to make an appointment with my Doctor to get him to continue my prescription for anxiety medication and I'm worried that he's not going to let me continue on the meds. I had some severe issues with my anxiety a few months back and my Doctor sent me to therapy, which didn't help at all. So then he referred me to a mental health crisis center, and they immediately set me up with a psychiatrist and he put me on Prozac because we realized therapy alone was not going to be helpful for me. Anyway, my regular Doctor doesn't really believe in long-term medication for anxiety and so I'm really worried he'll try to take me off the meds when my prescription runs out at the end of the month. I know he's going to be pissed because the Prozac has definitely contributed to a fairly significant weight gain...I don't want that to be his reason for taking me off the meds.

I know I'm rambling, heh. Just nervous that he's going to stop something that is genuinely helping me. I haven't felt this good in what feels like forever, and I don't want his disappointment in my weight gain to be a reason to take me off the medication.

14. Feb 11, 2015 #634

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Firstly, I definitely identify with this and I am always super nervous about going back to the doctor for such things. But if you are having trouble with your doctor and you don't have similar views on the best course for your treatment, couldn't you find another doctor? I don't know how things work where you are but for me I have had to change doctors a couple of times because of not having the same views on things.

Can't your psychiatrist prescribe your medication independently of your doctor if you asked them? Over here they can. Also, there are many other anti-anxiety medications that might help you and not have as many side effects if things like weight gain are a problem for you.

Wishing you the best!

15. Feb 12, 2015 #635

Victoria08

Victoria08

Victoria08

The psychiatrist that I saw was basically at a mental health crisis walk-in clinic, and he can only prescribe medication 3 months at a time. Because we determined that this is more of a long-term kind of issue, I would have to get a long term prescription from my regular Doctor and not from the clinic's psychiatrist.
    I could probably ask for a srcond opinion if my Doctor recommended that I try to handle life without the medication...guess I'll just have to wait and see what he says first.
    Thanks for the input, Loopy :)

16. Feb 12, 2015 #636

lille

lille

lille

Definitely consider finding a more long term psychiatrist. Medical doctors do not have the same kind of training when it comes to psychiatric medications. I also definitely recommend trying therapy again. It is the recommended treatment for anxiety. Now that you're on meds it's more likely that you're in a place where you can do the work in therapy and learn how to successfully manage your anxiety. I'm sorry your first therapy experience wasn't a good one, sometimes it can take a few tries to find the right therapist. My first therapist wasn't a good match for me. Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself, you know you better than anyone else.

Edited to add that Prozac is not a medication that you should stop suddenly. If you do decide to come off meds this is one that should be tapered off.

17. Feb 13, 2015 #637

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!

I can't eat anything anymore without excruciating pain, immediate overfullness, bringing up, and a stomach that distends from 34 inches to 46 in less than ten minutes. After years of complaining and seeing every doctor imaginable, my current doctor just smiled calmly and said - we WILL keep going until we figure this out.

I don't think they will find anything, because if it was "findable" the tests would have showed years ago...but it hurts so much that I can't stop either...

18. Feb 13, 2015 #638

lille

lille

lille

Mental Health related

For the past few years I was sure I wanted kids. However, the idea of passing on mental health issues is terrifying. I've struggled with depression and anxiety, other family members have been depressed, and I have a cousin who recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. My boyfriend is bipolar, as are his father and grandmother. Any kids we have a pretty much screwed. My boyfriend isn't too worried, his point of view is that he's been through it so we'll be able to identify it early, get the kid help early and will understand what they're going through. I on the other hand would feel so incredibly guilty if my child went through the same pain I did. Interning at a child/adolescent psychiatric hospital and seeing kids at their absolute worst certainly doesn't help.

19. Feb 15, 2015 #639

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

There isn't much advice I can give here other than to say you aren't alone in thinking like this. Me and my sister have always decided that we don't want any biological children and the mental health problems in our immediate problem are part of the reason. My big brother actually committed suicide when I was 13 and I couldn't bring another life into the world and risk it suffering like me or my brother.

20. Feb 16, 2015 #640

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    Are you suggesting that you have experienced so much pain in your life that you wish you had never been born? I guess I understand your boyfriend's point of view more.