• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Random

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeannie

Connect the dots
Anyone want to join me in some off-topic dialogue? Talk about anything you want! I would love to know more about the people on this board. The BHM/FFA topics are great, but I'd like to talk about other stuff too, if anyone is interested.

I'll start by saying that Oklahoma is on FIRE!! I can smell the smoke inside my house. :( The winds are howling. The air is dry, and there is no rain in the forecast. I just looked ahead 10 days. There is nothing coming. I think I better put on my moccasins and spend the rest of the night out in the yard doing a rain dance. We need rain NOW!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10619217/

Apparently this was Joaquin Phoenix day at my house. I watched Quills and Return to Paradise on dvd. Really intense and at times disturbing movies. Especially Quills - Wow, what a depraved movie. It was hard to watch, but I thought the acting was superb and the subject matter interesting. If you haven't seen it, here is a synapsis...

You are about to embark on a gothic tale of virtue and vice, of comedy and terror, of love and shocking erotica, of brutal censorship and, ultimately, the uncrushable spirit of the human imagination.

Be forewarned. This is the imagined story of the final days of the Marquis De Sade, the writer, rebel and sensualist who explored the darkest, even criminal, impulses of human passions and was proclaimed at once among the most devilish monsters and the freest spirits the world has known.

Historical biographies tell us that in the Marquis' last decade, the man whose name was synonymous with sadistic lust fell in love, and that the maverick libertine who celebrated expression at all costs was almost silenced. Banished to the Charenton Asylum for the insane, the Marquis De Sade continued to write his blasphemous novels . . . until a new doctor was brought in to "cure" him of his wicked desires.

But where history leaves off, QUILLS sets out on a daring journey into the corridors of Charenton Asylum and deep inside the Marquis De Sade's forbidden cell, in which everything but the very act of creation could be caged. Director PHILIP KAUFMAN ("The Right Stuff," "The Unbearable Lightness of Being") brings to life the Marquis De Sade's seductive, sinister world with a cautionary tale about what happens to the light of Charenton when the doctors attempt to shut out the darkness. The screenplay is by DOUG WRIGHT, based on his award-winning play which was acclaimed by critics not only as a provocative comedic thriller but as a modern metaphor about freedom of expression and civil liberties.

Academy Award winner GEOFFREY RUSH stars as the witty yet wicked Marquis De Sade, who is living in exile in his own posh suite at the Charenton Asylum. Here, he has befriended the progressive young asylum director Abbe Coulmier (JOAQUIN PHOENIX), a man ahead of his times, who believes in treating his patients humanely, providing means for creative expression. In this atmosphere, the Marquis has also found it easy to strike up a friendship with the comely young laundress Madeleine (KATE WINSLET), who helps him to smuggle out his prolific writings for publication * and whose innocent affections are equally enjoyed by the conflicted Abbe.

Then Charenton gets a new chief physician, Dr. Royer-Collard (Academy Award winner MICHAEL CAINE), who has been commissioned by Emperor Napoleon himself to cure the Marquis De Sade and stop the flow of his pen forever. Charenton soon erupts not only in a battle between doctor and patient, but between art and censorship, libido and inhibition, morality and brutality, passion and persecution.

For it seems the more the Marquis De Sade is prevented from expression, the more he is provoked . . .

OTHER NOTES

Theatrical release: November 22, 2000.

Doug Wright's play won an Obie Award.

The Marquis de Sade's written works remained banned in France until the mid-1960s.

The real Abbe Coulmier was a four-foot-tall hunchback.

The Marquis de Sade was the originator of the term "sadist": one who receives sexual satisfaction from the infliction of pain on others.

The Marquis de Sade died in the Charenton Asylum in 1814.

Michael Caine told the New York Daily News in January 2001, "It looks serious onscreen, but the more serious the subject, the more funny it is on the set. When things are too bizarre to contemplate as a human being, you have to deal with it with a sense of humor."

The National Board of Review named QUILLS the best film of 2000.

The Broadcast Film Critics Association nominated QUILLS for Best Picture.

Peter Clinton of cnn.com named QUILLS one of the 10 best films of 2000.

Geoffrey Rush received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture--Drama.

The Florida Film Critics Circle and the Las Vegas Film Critics Society named Geoffrey Rush Best Actor for his stellar performance in QUILLS.

Doug Wright was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Screenplay--Motion Picture.

The San Diego Film Critics Society's Best Body of Work award for 2000 went to Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR, QUILLS, THE YARDS).

Joaquin Phoenix was named Best Supporting Actor by the Broadcast Film Critics Association and the National Board of Review for his work in GLADIATOR, QUILLS, and THE YARDS.

I love netflix.

I'm such a light weight. I don't know how heavy drinkers do it. I drink maybe twice a year and ugh... Maybe it's champagne in particular that causes it, but I still feel hungover.

Anyone have any tried and true cures for a hangover?

Latest posts

Back