Remedy for hurting hips?

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by OH FA, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jan 27, 2019 #1

OH FA

OH FA

OH FA

Those of you ladies with larger hips, do you have any remedies for hurting/out of place hips? Is there anything you or your partner does to massage or ease the pain away?
    My wife (300+) is in pain & because of the weekend can't get in to see a chiropractor. Massaging her hips has not really done much alleviation, so I'm looking for suggestions.

2. Apr 11, 2019 #2

Killexia

Killexia

Killexia

I'm a classic pear shape with large hips, but I have not (yet) experienced any pain like you're describing. Does she take vitamins and minerals for aging joints? Maybe regulating the body from inside will help pain issues in the long run. I would suggest checking out Mercola.com and seeing what Dr Mercola has on the subject.

3. Apr 16, 2019 #3

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

(not a big woman, but husband to a bbw bbw a history of knee issues, so at least a little educated on the general topic)

Hurting hips is apt to be joints, not muscle, so massage isn't apt to help with the immediate pain. For short term pain relief getting weight off the joints (lying down) and basic pain relief (like acetaminophen) and anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen or Aleve) may help.

Longer term, well, she may be getting arthritis in the joint, which may never fully go away, but there are things that may help.

-Good shoes, that are soft (reduce impact shock) but stable -- iirc Clarkes is the brand thata lotof nurses use for those reasons, but I may have that name wrong.

- building up the support muscles, and also stretching them. Best here is to find a physiotherapist who is not fatphobic (and overall I find PTs to be quite non judgemental, they just want to help people). They can hrlp diagnose any iverly tight or weak muscles and help find exercises and stretches that she can do. Failing being able to access a PT, swimming at least doesn't load the joint and tends to be a good full body exercise.

I hope that helps a bit, good luck.

ChattyBecca likes this.
  4. Apr 19, 2019 #4

extra_m13

extra_m13

extra_m13

again i only read the first post in this thread and... unfortunately i have to say that while there are some remedies... softer shoes, strenghtening some muscles, doing this or that, there are some issues that are simply directly linked to being overweight for a long period of time or that could be eased with weight loss, reality of things, just that

5. Apr 19, 2019 #5

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

It doesn't sound like a weight issue to me, it sounds like a joint/movement one. I've had joint problems ever since I was a child. If weight bearing is the issue then losing weight will help, otherwise you need to speak to a doctor about pain relief and possible medications to help.

6. Apr 19, 2019 #6

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

I am just a tiny bit overweight at 165lbs and I am a bit aged at 51yo. My hips and knees ache from time to time. Probably arthritis setting in.

What has helped me out is supplements. I take tumeric, curcumin, glucosamine and chondroitin.

loopytheone likes this.