Rep whines

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

penguin

Fnord
DimensionsModel
I got caught in a mega rainstorm on the way home, so even with my umbrella, I got soaked. That made my figure hugging dress cling even more. That's gotta be worth some rep, right?

OneWickedAngel

Untamed Woman...
I got caught in a mega rainstorm on the way home, so even with my umbrella, I got soaked. That made my figure hugging dress cling even more. That's gotta be worth some rep, right?

Only there are pics! :p:p:p

(that and I've already given it up to you and cannot give you anymore captain)

Dromond

Pleasantly abstruse.
The reputation system is a feature of the Dimensions forums. If you like what someone has to say, you can reward the poster for exceptional posts by "giving rep." Reputation points are earned each time someone leaves a positive comment for you. When you hover the cursor over the "cans," a label shows up. That label is also related to reputation points, although it uses different numerical values than the cans. Reputation adds up and shows up on the form of green and gold "cans" (and more). The number of "cans" is related to the number of reputation points a user has. As for the colors, the first five cans are dark green. You earn one for each 150 rep points. The next five cans are light green. You earn one for each 250 points. The next eight cans are golden. Each golden can costs 800 points. If you do the math, you can see that you max out after 8,400 points. That is when the cans are replaced by a big golden star, and the cans start over (in addition to the golden star). Reputation is to be given out only when it is due. The system limits how many people you can rep in a day, and how you have to spread reputation before it can be given again to the same person. The rep system is meant to be used to reward good posts; abusing it to leave negative or hate messages is strictly forbidden and may result in reprimands or temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Okay, we got that. Very good. Great explanation, it's very clear.

So why then do I have three gold cans with a rep total of 4123? With that total, I should have two gold cans. I'm not complaining, but I am confused. How can this be? :confused:

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
Okay, we got that. Very good. Great explanation, it's very clear.

So why then do I have three gold cans with a rep total of 4123? With that total, I should have two gold cans. I'm not complaining, but I am confused. How can this be? :confused:
The last can has yet to be earned. Remember during the Jurassic Era when you first joined Dims and lo' you had a green can but no real rep? Well you had to earn those little suckers and when you earned them you got the next can to earn. Like positive reinforcement and encouragement to participate and all that shit. Capische?

Also, if you go to this link: http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/cmps_index.php
and look to the far right, it will tell you how much the rep YOU give is worth. Bookmark it because it increases with the rep you receive among other factors, I think. Or not.

penguin

Fnord
DimensionsModel
kittycuddle.gif

Kitty can has rep?

OIFMountaineer

Kilt Up.
In my day we had to walk really long distances, sometimes even swim across sewers and other contaminated areas to receive our rep. Rep then consisted of just a tap or several taps - only a little tapping sound, nothing you could take with you or remember, really. It meant something, though.

And we were thankful!

OneWickedAngel

Untamed Woman...
Can you lose rep if you take a sabbatical? I thought for sure I had more than this before I stepped out for a few months.

Let's say, in the midst of a snark fest in Hyde Park, someone repped you for a comment that may have been a response to said snark even if it was a non-snark remark. If the snark fest in general becomes so out of hand and requires moderation (which happens often enough in Hyde Park), your post may be deleted if it is deemed related to a part of the thread derail. When a post is deleted for any reason, all rep gained from such is also lost. If this occurred immediately after you stopped being active, you would not know it happened. So, this is also a possibility.

You can't lose rep simply for not posting, so it is most likely is whatever it was when you were last active.

WillSpark

King Of The Robo-Sluts
Let's say, in the midst of a snark fest in Hyde Park, someone repped you for a comment that may have been a response to said snark even if it was a non-snark remark. If the snark fest in general becomes so out of hand and requires moderation (which happens often enough in Hyde Park), your post may be deleted if it is deemed related to a part of the thread derail. When a post is deleted for any reason, all rep gained from such is also lost. If this occurred immediately after you stopped being active, you would not know it happened. So, this is also a possibility.

You can't lose rep simply for not posting, so it is most likely is whatever it was when you were last active.

WHERE DID YOU GO I MISSED YOU<3

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado

snarkfest ??? Hyde Park !!! :eek: never happens ... it's all about love , friendship, and a peacful exchange of ideas - croissants and music are provided for all participants :happy:

penguin

Fnord
DimensionsModel
snarkfest ??? Hyde Park !!! :eek: never happens ... it's all about love , friendship, and a peacful exchange of ideas - croissants and music are provided for all participants :happy:

I haven't been getting my share of croissants!! This needs to be rectified immediately.

imfree

In Remembrance

What???, there's croissants on this train??? I want one!:eat2: