Quantcast

RIP, Eddie Van Halen!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Colonial Warrior

This Tuesday morning, a legend of rock and roll passed away. Eddie Van Halen has lost his battle with cancer at 65.

Born in Netherlands and raised in California, Van Halen will always be remembered by those like me enjoyed his innovation on the sound of hard rock along with other members of his family and with the help of great singers like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar in the famous band that carries their last name.

Their music was always filled with joy and festivity. I will wish to celebrate the life of this virtuoso of music with three of my favorite songs from Van Halen!

Joker

If you know Joe Kerr on Facebook and know his Tribute to the Late Larry Dressler he did a nice set tonight for Eddy. A friend from Amsterdam helped.

Colonial Warrior

One of my favorite albums from Van Halen is 1984. From that album, my favorite is this instrumental. Also titled 1984.

Eddie Van Halen was a virtuoso with the keyboards as he was with the guitars.

As some of you know, I'm a lover of sci-fi. In particular space opera. This instrumental always make me think in an intro for writing that kind of stories!

Disclaimer: I don't endorse the use of tobacco.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
One of the best. Eruption is one of the most obnoxiously awesome pieces on rock n roll. Never get tired of VH and will miss Eddie.

Rojodi

He and the band were part of the soundtrack to my teen years.

Linton High School, Schenectady NY, sports theme song.

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene

wrenchboy

Sirius XM has been running a temporary channel dedicated to Eddie. I have heard their entire catalog over the years. I still have been listening to the channel all the time. He was most known for popularizing the 2 finger tap. But he was so much more! You would never guess that the same man that plays Eruption also plays Little Guitars and Respect the Wind.

Who else would think to play the guitar with a drill on Poundcake?
Not to mention the fantastic keyboard playing!

RIP Eddie, thank you for all you have given us

Colonial Warrior

Sirius XM has been running a temporary channel dedicated to Eddie. I have heard their entire catalog over the years. I still have been listening to the channel all the time. He was most known for popularizing the 2 finger tap. But he was so much more! You would never guess that the same man that plays Eruption also plays Little Guitars and Respect the Wind.

Who else would think to play the guitar with a drill on Poundcake?
Not to mention the fantastic keyboard playing!

RIP Eddie, thank you for all you have given us
He was indeed a genius for music!

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Always knew the band was from Pasadena. Never knew until a few days ago that Eddie grew up in the same neighborhood where i now live, his family moving in right around the time my grandparents moved into this house. I’ve been walking by the former Van Halen home for years when walking the neighborhood and never knew it. Walking right by the Van Halen he apparently scratched into the then-wet cement in the curb before the band became well-known.

It’s about 600 m walking distance from my house to the former Van Halen home. Another 300 m from the VH home to the liquor store/clock shop curb signature.

Maps and photos available by request, for locals or visitors wanting to see one or both memorials (come by my place and say hi if you visit). There are better close-up photos of the memorial stuff on innumerable news sites. My pix better show the area from a little more distance, to get a feel for the neighborhood.

Here’s Apollo 440, from 1996, doing nice things sampling Eddie’s guitar work: