• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Running/walking not because it's easy, but because it's hard

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In his famous speech about going to the moon, John F. Kennedy spoke these immortal words: "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

I feel the same way about running. I don't do it because it's easy for me, but because it's hard. I am a sprinter by nature, and always have been. In high school and college, I ruled in sprints, but quickly faded in longer distances. It was not a matter of training. My body is just built that way.

I recall a 20 mile run in the military -- full gear, rucksack and automatic rifle and all -- where through sheer willpower I tortured myself to a 4th place finish, which got me off for the weekend leave three hours earlier. I paid for that effort by feeling sick for almost two weeks.

I ran ran 2.5 and 5 mile course in college almost every day, never once experiencing the supposed "runner's high." Yes, the exhaustion and feeling of accomplishment AFTERWARDS can feel very nice, but other than that it's HARD.

I took up running again, in earnest, some three decades after college. I'd been feeling depressed and running, amazingly, fixed that. Since then, I've run the equivalent of about 200 marathons, usually three 4Ks in my neighborhood every week, and then a competitive 5K run every two or three weeks.

I love competitive 5Ks because people can run them or walk them, so I run and Carol usually walks. There are not too many runners in my age group, and I'd lie if I said I wasn't thrilled every time I finish at or near the top in my group. It's a wonderful sense of accomplishment, even though every run is so hard.

One thing that I love about the 5Ks is seeing so many fat people participate! Everyone doing their best. At this past Sunday's Pilot Fireball Moonlight Classic 5k in Knoxville, almost a thousand people ran and walked, all ages, all sizes. A 400+ pound man walked the course. He finished last, but he finished and I could see the pride on his face as he crossed the finish line.

That's why I love running. Almost anyone can do it, regardless of speed or distance. Very little equipment is needed. There are no rules or limitations. It gives a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, be it finishing a marathon (which I could never do) or making it down the block and back.

Latest posts

Back