• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Shopping adventures this summer: Woman Within, Old Navy, Lane Bryant

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire
Okay, so it has been torturing me that the Right Fit jeans from Lane Bryant exist and I am beyond the size range. Catherine's goes up to a 12, but they have the most hideous pant shapes.. since I refuse to wear tapered legs (believe me, on me they're very bad), that leaves me with no real alternative. So... I decided to go the cheap, likely to fit route, and bought myself two pairs of these.... in - get this - a size 40. OMG! The size chart size is fairly close to my measurements, though my hips are mightier by a good bit, but sizing is always very tweaky on the catalogs. I've had size 32 jeans be falling off or not come up even to my thighs. I wanted to avoid this entirely and get a belt if necessary, but, damnit, I wanted some jeans that fit. (I was also tortured by Old Navy's jeans - I can *not* wear low rise. It is a physical impossibility. I won't try.)

So I ordered these and bought a series of things from Old Navy - several tops, and two pairs of these, in brown and black.

Oooh! Success. The Old Navy tops fit like a dream - AnnMarie is SO right about the armholes on those tank tops, and the length is freaking perfect. Also, those pants are for real the most comfortable things I have ever had, and they're cute to boot. I could wear them out somewhere, dress 'em up... but they're so comfy I usually just wear them at home. They are even comfier than my various Cacique nighty pants. The term "buttery soft" comes to mind.

And the jeans... when I looked at them, they looked like they might be too small. Happily, they were not. I would definitely have cried if I had not been able to get my ass into something with 40w on the tab, when I am still pretty used to wearing 32s, and do regularly. (Even if we all know I shouldn't be able to.)

These don't feel like any of the crap jeans I've gotten from the catalogs in the past. They're heavy denim, and they're actually long enough... perfect length on me, even with my fat legs - since the inseam is only 31" I am assuming the extra room in the rise and the fact that they're not tight on my legs makes up the length difference, as normally that is too short on me. The legs are shaped in a nice bootcut that hits my knees right and never, ever, slips up on my legs when I'm sitting... so I don't end up with ankles showing and having to yank the pantlegs down. Sweet! They also have a double button waist which makes me feel secure, even though these puppies are a bit big - and the wide band is nice. The waist slides down my backside quite a bit... but they're super duper comfy and don't look very baggy. I'm used to waist slippage. It's the shape I am. But yeah, the 40 is a little bit beyond normal. 38 would probably have been wiser... my husband has to keep a watch on my butt to make sure my shirt doesn't roll up and expose too much flesh. I doubt he minds, though.

That said... I was quite happy with these things. Everything fit. Well.. mostly. I also got a pair of adorable butterfly underwear when I ordered those jeans, and got 'em in a size 14 which seemed like a good idea... but they are in fact the hugest
panties I've ever seen in my life. I can wear them but I get tangled in them and they come off a bit. Which sucks. They are adorable, styled like a big pair of Torrid undies. And by huge undies, I do not mean granny huge - I mean made for some truly bodacious hips. 14 is not an accurate size at all! I wish it were, though, because undies beyond 8 or so are hard to find, and if all 14s were sized this way, the world would be a better place.

So I guess if you like the Torrid ones but they're too small, these might work for ya, or of course there are always smaller sizes. I have a tendency to order things in the biggest size possible and have it be the best option - not so with these.

Anyway, I was satisfied for awhile. Then I got a little mailer from Lane Bryant, and I had to venture to the website... I did my usual thing, putting things in my cart to amuse myself.. and saw that putting two pairs of Right Fit jeans made them each $10. Without thinking twice, I ordered them. I later realized this was a glitch, but the order went through, and I got two pair for $25 shipped with no coupons... yow! (My mom ordered one pair for $5. Unfortunately, they were too small - the low rise with flare legs. I'm blown away, as she always wears low rise and ordered these bigger than she would normally get jeans. Hopefully she'll be able to stretch them a bit and squeeze into them at some point.)

When I placed the order, I did so thinking there was no way in hell they could possibly fit. This was halfway true. The low rise flare leg ones are the ones I really, really wanted... I love wide legs, because no wide leg is ever wide on mine. But, once again.... I am physically incapable of wearing low rise jeans. The 10 Blue just did not do it, and I was not surprised. Miles away from fitting, as with pretty much every other low rise thing I've ever tried on. I'm not willing to walk around with them unbuttoned/unzipped to see if I can stretch them out enough to fasten them like my mom is - low rise is the bane of my existence.

However.... the 10 Blue in the bootcut jeans with the natural waist... fit like a dream. Wow. They are a little tight, but it is totally worth it, and not an uncomfortable tight... it's a firm embrace tight. The length is perfect, and the legs stay put well. The waist stays almost totally straight in the back. This has never happened to me in the history of my life. These things are awesome. I just wish they made the flare ones in a natural waist rise... and I wish I had bought two pairs of these instead. But even $25 shipped for one pair is freaking awesome... I think that's what their sale is right now, if you buy 3 or more - $20 off each.

Sooooo....... if you've considered trying the Right Fit but weren't sure, I'd say try it. The low rise ones came nowhere close to fitting me, as my hips are beyond the range and it didn't seem like the waist was any bigger on them than the natural waist ones. (Hence they are probably perfectly awesome for someone who has the size chart's measurements.) But if your butt/hips are the main area where LB jeans stop working for you, then the bootcut natural waist rise might do the trick. These sit just a tish below where my waist is.. ie the smallest area.. and yet they still fit. They stretch a bit very quickly, going from "Ooh, these are pretty tight," to "Oooh, these are a close fit." in the space of about 10 minutes.

I've seen people saying that their size was much too large, too... I wonder if maybe it would differ between bootcut and flare, then, because of the rise and the odd mismatched sizing? Because the bootcut ones fit me great with no baggies, so I imagine they'd probably be baggy on someone whose size they really were supposed to be. But maybe the low rise flare ones would be right.

At any rate, it's kind of funny to have a pair of 40s, a pair of 10s, and an array of 32s all fitting at the same time, even though the 10s are also 32s. What a weird size range. I guess that shows how way off sizing is..... especially on the catalogs.

(It is worth noting that I do have a pair of regular Lane Bryant jeans, size 32, that fit - solely because they are also natural waist rise. The 10 Blues fit much better. Oh yeah.)

Latest posts

Back