"Shrill" on hulu

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Comcast is having watch week starting a couple of days ago so we got free access to Hulu. We jumped in to Shrill two nights ago and have gotten through episode 11 so far. We should be done with Season 2 tonight. Here is my take on it so far:

It's...interesting. The acting is pretty good. The writing feels a little hit and miss. Aidy Bryant is a gem as well as Lolly Adefope. They've touched on a lot of things so far...abortion, fat phobia, full frontal nudity, drug use, family issues, competition between siblings, confronting internet trolls in the flesh. It feels like too much, too fast. It's not quite a drama or a comedy. And like most hybrids, it isn't necessarily "great" at being either one.

Some folks will definitely identify with Annie, for good or bad. I'll keep watching but I am not going to lie...I cringe at something in almost every episode. Lorne Michaels is one of the executive producers and his fingerprints are all over it. It feels like a bad sketch at times.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
But is that because you're actually binge-watching as opposed to viewing at the originally intended pace?
After watching 14 episodes (7 hours of programming), it still feels crammed. Almost like an essay (since the show is based on Lindy West's essays it makes sense). With that said , essays are relatively quick and to the point. Much better suited to a movie than a television which needs time to breathe and let things developed.

Maybe they didn't think it was going to go further than first season so they tried to slam everything into the first four episodes.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
After watching 14 episodes (7 hours of programming), it still feels crammed....television which needs time to breathe and let things developed..

Maybe they didn't think it was going to go further than first season so they tried to slam everything into the first four episodes.
But that's not really directly answering my question/concern; after all watching more of it over the course of less time only compounds the compressive effect. Remember, back in the olden-days, we'd have to wait entire week to watch a new episode of anything, we'd otherwise be forced to talk about it around the water cooler for about that amount of time, to really digest if even in anticipation of what's next.

Then again, maybe it's just as fair to say that this new generation of streaming TV is a whole other animal, in terms of giving us this capability to watch a lot all at once, is actually written or created to be viewed or consumed at that pace.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
But that's not really directly answering my question/concern; after all watching more of it over the course of less time only compounds the compressive effect. Remember, back in the olden-days, we'd have to wait entire week to watch a new episode of anything, we'd otherwise be forced to talk about it around the water cooler for about that amount of time, to really digest if even in anticipation of what's next.

Then again, maybe it's just as fair to say that this new generation of streaming TV is a whole other animal, in terms of giving us this capability to watch a lot all at once, is actually written or created to be viewed or consumed at that pace.
For me, they are simply trying to cram too much in to a single 30 minute episode. It's like literally watching an essay on the screen. It's hitting you with a message hard and fast with a blunt object. The character development suffers as a result. Maybe if each episode was an hour and things could just be given a chance to breathe.

After every episode, I caught myself thinking "what the hell did I just watch?'' Perhaps because i get the same vibe from "Shrill" that I got from "The Office" which I dropped after 3 episodes.

mal57

I've been holding off because I already have 10 subs to streaming services I don't watch lol but maybe I'll cancel a few and sub Hulu to check this out... My constant gripe with streaming series is the opposite, how they're built for binging and only binging, stretching 90 minutes worth of material over 6-10 hour-long episodes. Think of your favorite movie and how much story they pack in there. Godfather... Chinatown... Pulp Fiction... they'd each be 3 seasons if Netflix produced them. If Shrill has an actual arc with each episode and doesn't linger on sunsets, pointless "character development" and witless chitchat for 10 minutes I'm in.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
...I already have 10 subs to streaming services...
Seriously? I didn't know there were that many. I only have Netflix, but am starting to get tired of it.

Which are your favorites? Which do you think gives you the most value for how much it costs?

mal57

Seriously? I didn't know there were that many. I only have Netflix, but am starting to get tired of it.

Which are your favorites? Which do you think gives you the most value for how much it costs?
Oh there are more than 10 available though I may have exaggerated with how many I’ve had at one time. Right now I have Netflix, Prime, HBO Max, Disney+, and Shudder (horror) and I’ve been subbed to Showtime, CBS, Cinemax, Hulu, Sundance, and Stars at various times. I usually sub for 1-3 things I actually want to see, find some other stuff and then get tired of it. The trick is to keep track of it and cancel when you’re done so you’re not paying month after month for subs you’re not watching but I’m not very good at that... I’m sure laziness is built into their various business plans.

So far best bang for the buck seems to be Prime. They have a pretty deep well of content and I order a lot of crap on Amazon so the shipping discounts basically make it free. The trouble with Prime is they offer a lot of pay-per-view movies and shows as well, mixed in with the “free” content, and my tendency is to cave and pay the $4-6 to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it... But with the semi-quarantine ending I’m gonna try to improve my habits.

Reactions: Tad

Latest posts