SkyRider airline seats pack fliers into 23 inches of space

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Nice in theory (well, for some values of "nice" anyhow). I just don't see how the FAA (or the aviaition authorities in wherever you happen to be) would allow it.
In addition to the problem of getting middle- and window-seat passengers out into the aisle in a hurry, there would be more passengers than could get out through the exit doors in time.
And there's the question of how well the seats would resist vertical acceleration (such as a very hard landing/crash) and how evenly those impact loads would be transferred to the seat occupants.

Looks like they were designed, not engineered.

-Rusty

TraciJo67

So when the airlines switch over to these seats will they throw in a complimentary captive bolt to the forehead for that extra little bit of dehumanization?

Complimentary? Are you nuts? They'll make us pay extra for that, too.

Tragdor

Abide
So when the airlines switch over to these seats will they throw in a complimentary captive bolt to the forehead for that extra little bit of dehumanization?

No but they do put a meat hook in your back so you don't fall out of the tiny tiny seat.

Tina

Older and wiser now
Don't be too quick with the denunciations. The seating position appears to be very similar to that of my old Suzuki GS850 motorcycle. That old motorcycle was very comfortable -- truly like riding an iron horse -- unlike some of the motorcycles they sell today which look like instruments of torture.

Anyway straddling a seat in a semi-seated position mimics the basic athletic stance our high school gym teachers told us about. Its a natural position that's quite comfortable and good for your back since more of your weight is supported by your thighs not your tail bone. The position also discourages slouching which is bad for your back.

The more upright position should also lessen fat spreading (which of course means they can sell us even narrower seats).
Mac, you seem to be discussing this from your own POV. You haven't seen the size of my hips. I would need two of those, only the form of one. Frankly, there are very, very few supersized, and pretty much no ultrasized people who can relate to your analogy. So bully for you in thinking that it would work for you, and that your old motorcycle was very comfortable. It has absolutely no place in my own frame of reference for what my needs today are.

I don't think that airlines would switch over to them in droves, and in the article they discuss using them for 1-3 hour flights. But still, if that were all that would be available, I wouldn't be able to fly. At all.

bigmac

Mac, you seem to be discussing this from your own POV. You haven't seen the size of my hips. I would need two of those, only the form of one. Frankly, there are very, very few supersized, and pretty much no ultrasized people who can relate to your analogy. So bully for you in thinking that it would work for you, and that your old motorcycle was very comfortable. It has absolutely no place in my own frame of reference for what my needs today are.

I don't think that airlines would switch over to them in droves, and in the article they discuss using them for 1-3 hour flights. But still, if that were all that would be available, I wouldn't be able to fly. At all.

Its true that such seats won't work for everyone -- including short people or children since the position only works if you can put your feet on the floor (just like my old bike -- you pretty much had to be at least 5'10" to ride an old GS850 -- I'm 6'4"). Airlines will still have to set aside rows for people for who these new seats don't work. That said they may actually be an improvement for many people including many of us less than supersized fat folks. All I'm saying is that as 6'4" 330lb guy these seats actually look like they maybe an improvement for me.

It is going to also be trouble for tall people with long legs as well. Because I already have trouble with a number of airlines in that regard.

I can see that the airlines wanting to save money, and get more people on the plane. However, if recent studies are correct Americans are get taller and fatter, so wouldn't making seats that look more and more like that are only for children, and skinny midgets,like shooting themselves in the foot?

Excuse my bluntness.

Latest posts