Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent?
Staff member
Global Moderator
Looks like it's a slow day here at Dims. With that, I've decided to open myself up for questions and comments from our members. Today you can ask anything and I will answer everything. No matter how silly, intimate, revealing, or embarrassing for me (or you). So fire away!

Sonic Purity

Dimensions Eyeore
Looks like it's a slow day here at Dims.
Depending what time zone one’s in, it may not be that far into the day yet. Or there might be people offline because of storms or whatnot. Here in the lovely, crazy oasis of southern California, the temperature is moderate yet thunderstorms impel the prudent to disconnect their electronics from wiring to minimize any chance of lighting damage (and before any other E.E. types jump down my throat, yes that can still happen with fully properly grounded systems).

With that, I've decided to open myself up for questions and comments from our members. Today you can ask anything and I will answer everything. No matter how silly, intimate, revealing, or embarrassing for me (or you). So fire away!
I want to know all you care to share about your radio career (or link to those posts if they already exist). What station? What type of station was it: commercial? Non-commericial? Music? News? Other? You mentioned doing weekends, i think: what shift(s)? Did you do anything there besides DJ? What years did you do this?

And: is your Big Electric Cat user name related to the Adrian Below song? Or the band of this name (link to Wikipedia article)? Or something else? Or nothing especially at all?

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent?
Staff member
Global Moderator
Depending what time zone one’s in, it may not be that far into the day yet. Or there might be people offline because of storms or whatnot. Here in the lovely, crazy oasis of southern California, the temperature is moderate yet thunderstorms impel the prudent to disconnect their electronics from wiring to minimize any chance of lighting damage (and before any other E.E. types jump down my throat, yes that can still happen with fully properly grounded systems). How right you are on all counts. My assessment as "slow" stems from the observations of recent weeks where there seemed to be a lot more activity taking place during these hours (7am to 3pm CST).

I want to know all you care to share about your radio career (or link to those posts if they already exist). What station? What type of station was it: commercial? Non-commericial? Music? News? Other? You mentioned doing weekends, i think: what shift(s)? Did you do anything there besides DJ? What years did you do this?

And: is your Big Electric Cat user name related to the Adrian Below song? Or the band of this name (link to Wikipedia article)? Or something else? Or nothing especially at all?
The station I worked for (part time) was The Great 108 - WPFM. It was a music station that played pretty much everything: The pop hits of the day, some classic rock at certain times, and some burgeoning alternative music of the late 80's. What they didn't play was rap music due to the fact it was in northern Florida (also known as Lower Alabama) and the biggest advertiser was one Tommy Thompson who owned a Ford Dealership in town and was rumored to have ties to the KKK. But I snuck a couple Tone Loc or Young MC tunes in there late at night. My shift was usually 11 pm to 6 am either Friday or Saturday (sometimes both). I was also doing my regular Air Force Job and a couple other side jobs. This was 1989 to mid 1990.

Sonic Purity

Dimensions Eyeore
The station I worked for (part time) was The Great 108 - WPFM. It was a music station that played pretty much everything: The pop hits of the day, some classic rock at certain times, and some burgeoning alternative music of the late 80's.
And now (according to Wikipedia), it’s K-Love, with a “contemporary Christian music” format.

What they didn't play was rap music due to the fact it was in northern Florida (also known as Lower Alabama) and the biggest advertiser was one Tommy Thompson who owned a Ford Dealership in town and was rumored to have ties to the KKK. But I snuck a couple Tone Loc or Young MC tunes in there late at night. My shift was usually 11 pm to 6 am either Friday or Saturday (sometimes both). I was also doing my regular Air Force Job and a couple other side jobs. This was 1989 to mid 1990.
We crossed over in time: i was on KALX from the end of August 1980 through the start of September 1995. KALX is UC Berkeley’s station, so other than 2 or 3 top positions, it’s an all-volunteer (and at least half student) staff, so for me it wasn’t a paying job (most of those years).

Good for you, sneaking in some Tone Lōc/Young M.C./maybe etc. No De La Soul?—oh so sad! 3 Feet High And Rising was such a positive, eclectic album. (I won’t even ask about Public Enemy, nor spend time digging through my playlist database for other rap/hip-hop songs i played those years.)

Latest posts

Group builder