Quantcast

Snuffy wuz a BHM and other reasons you loved Sesame Street--and still do.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

superodalisque

Today was the 40th anniversay of Sesame Street. for a lot of us it was a big memory hunk of our early childhood. what is your favorite Sesame Street memory and why? feel free to post clips because you know you still love em!

LoveBHMS

default title
There are too many to count.

Part of the magic of Sesame Street was the "inside jokes" that the older folks would understand. There was one episode of "Upstairs Downstairs" where Grover was just running up and down a flight of stairs. The older viewers knew it was the name of a BBC television show, but kids didn't. Another one was "Monsterpiece Theater" starring Cookie Monster as "Alistaire Cookie" which of course the adults recognized as a takeoff of "Masterpiece Theater" with Alistaire Cooke.

Also charming was when mainstream stars made appearances that were modified to the young audience. My favorite was Feist singing "1 2 3 4 Monsters Walk Across the floor..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9WiuJPnNA

but other classics were James Blunt's twist on "You're Beautiful" as "My Triangle" to teach kids about shapes and R.E.M.'s "Furry Happy Monsters" take on "Shiney Happy People."

Awesome, all of it.

Jes

is oddly aroused
And I loved meeting this guy!
Awse. I don't know what I would do if I ever met BB.

For me, and it's with some embarrassment that I relate this tidbit, I had a huge weirdo crush on Slimey the worm. He was red and yellow and stripey and he moved in this little inchworm-y way, and I was really and truly in a kind of love with him. I still am.

Years later, someone connected the phallic dots for me and I was like: no! Don't you sully our love!

but there might be something to that. Only in the greek myth way though.

I lurves him.

The clip I am too tired to post can be found if you youtube sesame street and alphabet. It stars Joey, a little girl practicing her ABCs with Kermie, and it's honestly one of the most adorable things I have ever seen in my entire life.

LoveBHMS

default title
"Easy Reader" was a character on "The Electric Company", not "Sesame Street".

KHayes666

Go away
ONE PRETEND SHEEP....TWO PRETEND SHEEP!

I am Vincent Twice....Vincent Twice

Twin Beaks

Ernie burying Burt in the sand

Count Von Count with Mookie Wilson

Grover: Man with beady eyes and big blue head!
Man: I DO NOT HAVE BEADY EYES!

and last but not least:

C IS FOR COOKIE...DAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Well, of course my favorite was always Cookie Monster :wubu:

And my favorite children's book of all time...

I love that book too!! Grover was my favorite as a kid. I bought that book for my son Max and he doesn't get the joy out of it that i did.

LoveBHMS

default title
Grover: Man with beady eyes and big blue head!
Man: I DO NOT HAVE BEADY EYES!
Oh yes! The whole Waiter Grover series was awesome, although I have to say I barely remember it from childhood but when I was waitressing one of the blogs i used to read linked to a couple of youtube vids of these sketches and we all loved them.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Mine was/is Sunffaluffagus
Oh yes, absolutely. Snuffalupagus (spelling?) showing up was a special treat :)

I think I liked the show overall more than any individual sketch. Just the cheerful, happy, attitude, how the sketches would be tied together, and I don't know what, it was just a happy 'place' to be :D

KHayes666

Go away
Oh yes! The whole Waiter Grover series was awesome, although I have to say I barely remember it from childhood but when I was waitressing one of the blogs i used to read linked to a couple of youtube vids of these sketches and we all loved them.
I'd do anything to see that again....20 years later I still chuckle about it