Society as a Whole

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Fatcules71, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Apr 15, 2019 #1

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

The problem with society as a whole. Constantly we are told through media that thin is healthy and fat is unhealthy. Doctors equate weight with health.

The weight loss industry is winning. Starting in the 90's when they changed the BMI classifications to the barrage of ads where they equivocate losing weight with health. "I feel healthy". "Lose weight and gain health. ".

The ACTUAL facts are that there is not a direct relation to weight and health nor weight and mortality. There is no correlation to weight and heart disease or weight and cancer. These are unproven misnomers that have permeated into the land of facts. A very overlooked fact is that there are more unhealthy "thin" people than unhealthy "fat" people. If an overweight person goes to their doctor for an ailment, they are more often than not told to lose weight without a proper diagnosis. Thin people are assumed healthy and will receive better diagnoses and treatment because of that assumption.

Do not judge a book by its cover and do not diagnose health by a persons weight.

2. Apr 17, 2019 #2

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Do you have references or an article you are quoting? This board is specifically for Media related posts and discussion of them.

fat hiker likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2019 #3

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

Fatcules71

As I said in my post, every weight loss ad on television.

4. Apr 17, 2019 #4

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

It might be helpful to refer to a specific one or two ads, maybe link them here, and make your argument specific to those ads. There’s a number of things you’d be able to critique from perceived inaccuracies to the subtle messaging within the ad itself.

AmyJo1976 and fat hiker like this.
  5. Apr 17, 2019 #5

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

That is a really great point.

AmyJo1976 and fat hiker like this.
  6. Apr 19, 2019 #6

extra_m13

extra_m13

extra_m13

that is true... we see someone in a 'healthy' weight range and people don't ask anything else, they just assume he or she is healthy because the weight is ok but they could be eating nicotine for lunch and that is way worse than being carrying some delicious extra curves

Sidhuriel, Fatcules71 and John Smith like this.
  7. May 10, 2019 #7

ksandru

ksandru

ksandru

"PHAT" Not "Fat", Got It?

It's a small step, but I am beginning to see more "normal"/"plus-sized" women (and men) in commercials. Unfortunately, we still have challenges in accessing certain spaces & places. I saw a V-Log about a larger-sized man who encountered problems "cruising while fat." He talked about the small (almost claustrophic) sizes of the bathrooms in cabins, seating in lounges, cafeterias & auditoriums, etc. Ironic since people are actually getting fatter.

happily_married likes this.
  8. May 10, 2019 #8

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

For those who would be interested in some documentary evidence, I'd recommend a study by Flegal and colleagues that appears in the January 2013 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). It's a systematic analysis of over 700 studies on the relationship of BMI to mortality rate. There are some surprises there, and some support for the OP's position. If you don't want to slog through the whole article, the abstract will give you the basic facts.

9. May 13, 2019 #9

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I think that we can and should change societal attitudes towards fat people. However, we cannot expect better, if we do not project positive attitudes ourselves. This is why I love things like the Adipositivity Project, which promotes positive attitudes towards fat people, through artistic photographs designed to capture our beauty.

I believe in using positive words to describe ourselves. I'm very lucky with my doctor. He never describes me as obese or overweight. If a medical issue is related to my size, he tells me that it's "because of your weight". I find this manner of speaking to be quite acceptable especially as he doesn't attribute many things to my weight. He happens to avoid the two words, which I absolutely hate, namely "overweight" and "obese". These two words convey the implication that we are too fat, because they contain the element "over-". ("Obesus" is Latin for "one who has over eaten".) I prefer to be referred to as just plain "fat". It's what I am. I have long disliked the word "big" used as a euphemism for "fat". Euphemisms are the worst kind of insult, because they imply that the topic of conversation is too terrible to even mention. Recently, I have taken to correcting people , who call me "big guy" and telling them that I prefer to be addressed as "fat guy". I'm saying this because I notice the word "overweight" being used even on this thread. It must be obvious that I feel very strongly about this. I'm a fat guy and I have a big appetite. I'm proud of be fat, because I see it as a positive quality. Until we can use the word "fat" to describe ourselves, while being proud of who we are, I don't think that we can reasonably expect society to learn any better. If we dare not describe ourselves as fat or feel ashamed of being fat, how are other people going to respect us for being who we are?

John Smith and Tad like this.
  10. May 13, 2019 #10

Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear

The Blade of Atlantis

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.david.rice,
    Most societal norms are (regrettably) based on monetary mentalities. I've spent a lot of time teaching the party of how we got here, and it starts in the '70s with fashion designers. The ones that designed expensive clothing for thin women. Nothing wrong with finding clothing that fits, regardless of body type. Since we're a culture of keeping up with the Joneses though, people base what they want on what the rich are buying (if they can afford such things, that is). Sad state of affairs, but threats where we are.

John Smith likes this.
  11. May 15, 2019 #11

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

I’m going to throw this out there as a suggestion from a Moderator:

All of the posts here are about things that are “known” by the general collective. For this forum discussions should be based on specific media such as published studies, abstracts, articles, and other types of documents. When we rely on what we consider general knowledge it misses the goal of this forum.