Society's standard of acceptable plus size

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ThatNoraChick

I just want to say I have noticed a trend on instagram and social media where people are only acceptable of Plus size women with no bellies. Just want to say that we are out there and we exist and I know I am not the only plus size woman who feels like society tries to censor us because we don't fit their standard of thick or big butt no stomach bullshit. We are valuable and we are not going anywhere. Just saying.

Attachments

bigisland

I just want to say I have noticed a trend on instagram and social media where people are only acceptable of Plus size women with no bellies. Just want to say that we are out there and we exist and I know I am not the only plus size woman who feels like society tries to censor us because we don't fit their standard of thick or big butt no stomach bullshit. We are valuable and we are not going anywhere. Just saying.
TNC from your photos you will be very attractive no matter what your number says

Saxphon

Regarding the pics you posted - You look beautiful in both. However, I'm a little more partial to the one in red and how it relates to your post. It shows off more of those beautiful curves of your belly. Very lovely.

JDavis

As Annie Lenox said "Keep young and beautiful if you want to be loved" . My belly gets bigger as I age.

extra_m13

you know what... you may be right about the trend that you have noticed. the reason could possible be that this hourglass shapes with big hips and no bellies are just easier to expose in some poses or in underwear but yes for sure, they do not reflect but only a small fraction of woman figures. but... nevertheless, it is a positive step towards a more comprehensible beauty definition i mean, years ago no hips were acceptable no cellulite no legs no rolls no nothing, now, well, things are a bit better and in the right direction

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I love social media and at the same time hate it. It is so true that it is okay for a female cis or other to be only so big and be big in a certain shape. As said above yes it is easier to get good photos of that hourglass shape. The evil underlying that is there are not enough clothes made for the larger women. If you are large and not hourglass shaped it gets even harder. I will be honest, I have 80% of my tops custom made. I specify lengths, for sleeves and overall, and at first gave all of my measurement. On Instagram I participated in #infinifatshionfebruary. That is where us infinifat ( those that no longer fit within the clothing industries standardized sizes. ) post outfits of the day. We are doing this to get the word out that companies do not meet our needs. Really after a size 32 each company if they vary bigger makes up their own scale. If you take a good look at those bloggers and influencers that claim to be fat focused, many are supported by companies that have limited size ranges.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I heard of a campaign called Clothes Calling Card. They send you some cards to carry with you. When you go into a clothing store and find items that you would buy, if only them had them in your size, you fill in a card. You fill in each item with the price. I think that you can specify your size. You put the total that you would have sent at the bottom of the card, which reads, "If you had the above items in my size, I would have spent $xx.xx in your store today." You hand it to the manager. It politely exerts pressure on the store to stock larger sizes.

I made my own cards and started handing them out to menswear stores and departments. I quickly found out that they were always happy to listen to what I had to say about my wants and needs. I found I could just talk with them and they would listen. So, I didn't need the cards. The only thing that I had difficulty with was getting them to understand that I didn't want clothes that hide how fat I am. I like my shape and so I like to show it off. We're working on it.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I heard of a campaign called Clothes Calling Card. They send you some cards to carry with you. When you go into a clothing store and find items that you would buy, if only them had them in your size, you fill in a card. You fill in each item with the price. I think that you can specify your size. You put the total that you would have sent at the bottom of the card, which reads, "If you had the above items in my size, I would have spent $xx.xx in your store today." You hand it to the manager. It politely exerts pressure on the store to stock larger sizes.

I made my own cards and started handing them out to menswear stores and departments. I quickly found out that they were always happy to listen to what I had to say about my wants and needs. I found I could just talk with them and they would listen. So, I didn't need the cards. The only thing that I had difficulty with was getting them to understand that I didn't want clothes that hide how fat I am. I like my shape and so I like to show it off. We're working on it.
That really is a great idea! If there were defined sizes for my size I could do that! The clothing industry just doesn’t get it

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
You know, I'm curious, what sort of weight/size do you start having problems finding clothes than can fit even at plus sized shops? Men's clothes seem to be much more forgiving, my ex was short and 450 lbs and had no real problems finding clothes in plus sized (and sometimes regular sized!) shops. The fashion industry seems to be much harsher on women and you start being unable to find clothes at a much smaller size.

I know I'm 5'2 and 210 lbs, and I have trouble finding clothes in anything other than plus sized stores, yet my 5'7, 300 lb boyfriend can easily find his size and bigger in standard men's shops. It seems really strange to me. I'm often, like, a 3-4 xL in some women's sizes (and just an XL in others!) yet he is pretty consistently a 2XL, despite being a fair bit bigger than me. It seems strange that clothing manufacturers can be accommodating to small-fat men and small-fat women, and it seems to show the same pattern with larger sizes too.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
You know, I'm curious, what sort of weight/size do you start having problems finding clothes than can fit even at plus sized shops? Men's clothes seem to be much more forgiving, my ex was short and 450 lbs and had no real problems finding clothes in plus sized (and sometimes regular sized!) shops. The fashion industry seems to be much harsher on women and you start being unable to find clothes at a much smaller size.

I know I'm 5'2 and 210 lbs, and I have trouble finding clothes in anything other than plus sized stores, yet my 5'7, 300 lb boyfriend can easily find his size and bigger in standard men's shops. It seems really strange to me. I'm often, like, a 3-4 xL in some women's sizes (and just an XL in others!) yet he is pretty consistently a 2XL, despite being a fair bit bigger than me. It seems strange that clothing manufacturers can be accommodating to small-fat men and small-fat women, and it seems to show the same pattern with larger sizes too.
Men’s clothing has always been that way. Often time the only way I can find outerwear is in the big men’s sizes

Shotha

DM Supporter
The clothing industry just doesn’t get it
I know that they don't get it but I'm sure that the one way that's more likely to make them get it than anything else is, is to wave our dollar bills in their faces. If money doesn't persuade them to cater for us, nothing will.

Shotha

DM Supporter
It seems really strange to me. I'm often, like, a 3-4 xL in some women's sizes (and just an XL in others!)
Because of this variation in size standards among various manufacturers, I always take a tape measure with me, when I go shopping for clothes. It's much quicker and easier to run the tape measure across the sizes that you think might fit than it is to try them all on in the fitting room.

BigElectricKat

If you are bored or in need of some convo, PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator

I think the situation between men's and women's clothing is different for one very basic reason: For the most part, men carry at great deal of their extra weight the same way (usually in their belly area). Yes, or legs and such get bigger the more weight we put on, but the gut is where it usually it begins to manifest first. Subsequently, clothing manufacturers craft clothing to accommodate those changes accordingly. This is a genetic thing for us.
Women on the other hand can see their extra weight deposited in several areas of the body. Not only the belly but waist, hips, chest and/or thighs. Again, this is genetics. But clothing manufacturers have a hard time settling on how they'll craft their clothing. What area(s) do they target when making the bigger items? At a size 2 or a size 20, how do you want it to fit? Tighter and curve hugging (if you have any) or looser and more comfortable? It's usually a trade off.

Latest posts