• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

BBW Something's Gotta Give - by StrugglingWriter (~BBW, ~XWG)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrugglingWriter

~BBW,~XWG, Academic probation forces an exercise-obsessed sorority princess to decide what she truly values.

Something’s Gotta Give​

By StrugglingWriter

wysX7CL.jpg

“…to inform you that you’ve been placed on academic probation.”

Kelly couldn’t believe it! Yeah, there was that letter that said she was in danger of being on probation last semester, but who thought it would ever actually happen? Kelly pushed the letter into her overstuffed desk drawer. Couldn’t worry about that now…had to get downstairs to the gym and then get ready for the Start o’ Summer kickoff tonight.

Kelly slipped out the door, letter forgotten, thinking about how much she loved living in the Phi Gamma Psi sorority house as she bounded down the stairs from the third floor. She passed by some girls on the second floor landing and waved as she zipped by. The best girls! She reached the bottom floor and looked up the glorious staircase with the early summer sun blazing through bay windows at each landing. The best house! As she passed through the foyer She peered down the hall where some of the girls were setting up the meeting room for tonight’s party. The best parties!

But it was the room just off the foyer she loved the most--the only house at the university with its own workout room on the premises!

Kelly was a slender girl now, but she hadn’t always been. She’d chubbed up a few times as a kid, only to have her weight-conscious mother help her to get back on top of things. But no mother has that kind of control over her teenager. A pretty girl in a small town can afford to put on a few pounds and stay popular, and on the cheerleading team, and attractive enough to keep the prom king’s devotion while flirting the smart boys into doing her homework and helping her cheat on tests. Especially with the boobs a bit of weight gain gave her. They'd called her Kelly Kegs.

But no girl—no matter how blue her eyes, blonde her hair, dazzling her smile or big her boobs—can put on the forty pounds she did and have her pick of the best sororities at the biggest university in the state. And that’s about the only thing Kelly had ever wanted for her life. And her mom. Mom wanted Kelly to be a star in the same sorority at the same university—in the same house!—as she had been years before when she, too, had been a slender sorority star herself.

That’s why Mom had sprung for the personal trainer after Kelly’s senior year. Three months of four-hour-a-day workouts, and Kelly was ready for the college scene.

And boy was she ready! The four best houses on campus selected Kelly at Rush, but all Kelly cared was that Phi Gamma was one of them. Kelly was the best pledge in her class, an upper classman favorite, little sister of the Phi Gamma president. She was the first pledge asked to move into the house—spring of her freshman year!—and first freshman in a decade to earn a spot on the summer social committee.

None of that would have been possible without the “House Mother” keeping her on her exercise routine. “House Mother” was the sorority’s pet name for the elliptical in the workout room, which used to be the old chaperone’s room that every sorority house had by the front door. When other sororities had finally ditched their house mothers, they’d converted their rooms into study halls or offices. Now, Phi Gammas could hold on to that Phi Gamma standard in a fraction of the time without having to worry about negotiating restrictive campus gym hours or braving the obnoxious wannabe muscle heads at the 24-Hour Fitness.

Kelly strode into the workout room ready to jump the House Mother and stopped in surprise: Kelly’s older sister, Sherry Jennings, president of Phi Gamma Psi was standing there waiting for her.

“Thought I’d find you here.” That was ominous. So was finding Sherry here. Sherry mostly managed her figure with her eating disorder.

“I just got this,” she continued. She was nervous. Kelly squinted at the paper in Sherry’s hand and saw her name, then the first line, “We regret to inform you that you….”

“Oh, yeah. That,” said Kelly, stepping around Sherry and onto the elliptical. “How’d you get that?” Kelly paused. “Did you go inside my drawers?”

“Kelly, I--” began a flustered Sherry. She had that look Sherry always had when Kelly wasn’t quite understanding something. “As sorority president, the university sends a copy to me.”

“Why would they do that?”

“So I can help you stay on top of your grades!” Pause. “Kelly, why didn’t you tell me you were having trouble? Didn’t they send you a warning letter in the spring?”

Why was Sherry getting so upset? “Yeah, uh…I dunno…things weren’t all that bad. I, uh, did bad on some of my final exams.” She didn’t add that she’d blown off studying for a couple of them for that trip to the beach the weekend of. “Don’t worry! I’ll get it fixed so you won’t have to kick me out!” As if that would happen. She smiled, she laughed. “It’s no big deal.”

“Kelly, this is a big deal!” She was really getting angry. “Don’t you know what this means?”

Kelly stared at her blankly, still standing with her legs spread on the elliptical.

“Kelly, you can’t stay in the house if you’re on probation!”

Kelly’s heart froze.

Sherry’s face got angry. “I put everything into you! How could you do this to me!?”

Kelly just kept looking at Sherry. Can’t stay in the house. She slowly pumped her legs on the elliptical as that settled in. Then, her legs pumped fast as if to get in as much elliptical as she could. And then she stopped as she realized how useless that was.

“I’m sorry, Sherry. I didn’t know.” Wait…how could she do that to me? And, and, where am I gonna stay!?

“I know, Kelly. I’m just…disappointed. And I feel sorry for you. But I do have a plan.”

Kelly had to move out immediately. Sherry knew an alum who needed to rent out a space for the summer. So Kelly could pay for it, Sherry fudged some numbers and quietly refunded Kelly’s fee for the house. This was important because if Kelly were to write checks for an apartment, Kelly’s mom would find out about the probation.

Most importantly, Kelly had to get her grades up over the summer if she hoped to move back into the house in the fall. Only straight As carrying a full summer load could do that. That meant a lot of studying, and a lot of learning.

And that had both girls worried. Studying and learning were never things that Kelly was ever any good at.

Was it a matter of ability? Oh, perhaps. In high school she’d gotten by well enough. Her poor grades then were more a matter of motivation than mental muscle. If it was about shoe construction, fashion trends, or celebrity gossip, Kelly could read for hours and remember everything like the proverbial elephant. She was the whiz kid you wanted on your team in Trivial Pursuit just so she could answer the Entertainment questions—if you could get her to sit down long enough.

But science? History? Math? Anything applied? Well, Kelly most often chose hanging out and watching football practice or, after five minutes of trying to make any sense of her homework, going out for pizza and ice cream. She could find plenty of boys who could help her take care of that, anyway. And, for that matter, plenty of boys who would take her out for pizza and ice cream, too.

This really came through Sunday night, the night before summer classes started, in Kelly’s first meeting with the tutor Sherry made her take on.

“Tell me,” said Caleb, the tall, quiet, sandy-haired junior Sherry had sent over to the house. “How much have you been making it to class?”

Kelly knew she had to be honest or this would never work. “Ummmm, well…not so much.”

“Why not? First thing you should be doing is going to class.”

“It’s like this. Class is boring. And when I’m bored, I eat. I eat, I gain weight, and that means no Phi Gamma.”

Caleb didn’t know what to say. “Ah, I see.” Pause. “And time spent studying?”

“Well, there’s study hall at the house.”

“And how does that work for you?” said Caleb doubtfully, knowingly.

“Not so well. Lots of talk about boys and fashion and parties. Not so much studying.” Pause. “At least I don’t eat. When I’m not distracted by something, first thing I wanna do is eat. And, the House Mother—er, the exercise room—is right there.”

“So not eating is a big priority.”

“Yeah. Eat, gain weight. Gain weight, no Phi Gamma. It’s that simple.”

Pause. Caleb: “No class, no studying, no grades, no Phi Gamma. Something’s gotta give.”

Another pause. Kelly: “Yeah, something’s gotta give. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.”

Latest posts

Back