Quantcast

Songs that are “obsolete”

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Salacious Caitlin

that’s a good one but IMHO Blue Oyster Cult’s best track is Burnin’ for You.
😁

I'm not opposed to that song (and I have no notion of oldies anyway since a lot of what I listen to was written pre-20th century) but Reaper is going through my head just now because of the coronavirus. It was featured in the miniseries of The Stand.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I'm not opposed to that song (and I have no notion of oldies anyway since a lot of what I listen to was written pre-20th century) but Reaper is going through my head just now because of the coronavirus. It was featured in the miniseries of The Stand.
Ah, coronavirus! Who doesn’t love a good endemic?

what do you like that was written pre-20th century?

Mainegal

I'm here to help!
Going back to the start of the thread-
And saying hi to friends-

i have 2 obsolete lyrics
1. P.O. Box 9847
2. I know that there’s a number I can dial for assistance, pant, pant, pant, pant

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Note: I am consciously and intentionally necroposting, reviving a subjects of interest where i feel i have something meaningful to say that transcends the time frame of the earlier posts. I encourage anyone following up after my posts—especially newer members—to familiarize themselves with the older posts before posting.

And the phone mounted to the wall? It’s been a long time since anyone has seen that.
Mmmmm, i see it every day, here in my kitchen:
kitchen wall phone.jpg
That’s a live phone, which you can call right now (if it’s still 2020 when you read this) at (626) 796-2711. (Yes, i realize the import of posting my phone number on a public website where posts are forever. This number has been public for decades. Keep reading.)

That’s not the only old-timey hardwired phone in active service in this house. There’s this one:
white touch-tone.jpg

And this one:
pink Princess.jpg

And this one:
white Princess.jpg

But you won’t actually ring through to any of those, because i installed a master switch near my bed which turns all the ringers in the house on and off at the same time, and it’s Off nearly all the time due to unsolicited telemarketer calls and other lowlife (sorry not sorry anyone in that profession reading this). Instead you will be routed to the 1995 Macintosh-based answering machine and voice modem, in the actual purpose-made original telephone alcove of this 1927 home:
Mac answering machine and telephone alcove.jpg

Or if not that, maybe the fallback answering machine:
Panasonic answering machine:cordless phone.jpg
#livingmuseum

In the original spirit of this thread, there’s a zillion hardwired telephone-related songs, of which y’all have only covered a few. Here’s the most obvious one i’ve yet to see anyone post, performed by the original band:
Hanging on the Telephone — The Nerves

But what i really want to post is this other obsolete technology no one at all has yet covered, until now:
Modem Song — Looper

Cogs

"Redneck" by Randy Newman is an absolutely devastating song about the evils of racism. Because the N-word is used frequently in the chorous; it is not longer played in the radio.

Latest posts