Sports Illustrated Fattest Model - Hunter McGrady: Morbidly Obese or pleasingly Plump ?!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Emmy

something witty..
Since "size" is being discussed, has anyone noticed the following?
I m 6' tall. For many years I seldom saw a female who stood eye to eye. Now I see MANY young women who do.
I went to a Target near a major university last week and was astounded by the number of women near my height and taller.
Ive noticed women seem to be getting taller and men shorter.. could just be that now im looking for it though to prove im right lol

GeeseHoward

I love it when pin-ups gain weight gradually over time... Body positivity is slowly spreading more and more and becoming desirable to mainstream media

LifelongFA

Reading through the chain of messages on this post is rather disappointing. Some of us remember a time when the largest woman in the SI swimsuit issue was like a size 2. While there is certainly a long, long way to go, it is fun to see some gradual shifts that reflect the progress that has been made over the last 30 years. This should have been a light hearted and fun discussion.....

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I am going to have to disagree with you here. Desirable - not at all, necessary is the correct word.
I’m with you. While there is a much larger body positive presence today than ever before it is still a wildly small portion of the mainstream and big picture. And even in this era of accepting anything and everything and being expected not to judge for ANY decision or lifestyle a person pursues, it is still acceptable on a large scale to make fun of fat girls.

We’ve come a long way but I think there is a long way to go before society legitimately treats bigger girls with the amount of dignity they deserve as equals. As humans. I swear though...to hear some people tell it you’d think being a fat girl was the single worst crime against humanity a person could commit!

John Smith

Yeah the only reason I originally made that reference about 'SJWs' was because of the nonsense that Hunter McGrady was writing on the topic of inclusivity and all the wokeness going on at Sported illustrated . Actually it seems this term this was traditionally never considered a 'perjorative', but that started changing about 10 years ago with the ramping up of the intersectionality and related over the top grievance mongering on the progressive left from fools who like to throw out words like 'fascist agenda'
Which translates itself into "I'm not using incendiary derogations in that way, but..."

Broseph

DM Supporter
I’m with you. While there is a much larger body positive presence today than ever before it is still a wildly small portion of the mainstream and big picture. And even in this era of accepting anything and everything and being expected not to judge for ANY decision or lifestyle a person pursues, it is still acceptable on a large scale to make fun of fat girls.

We’ve come a long way but I think there is a long way to go before society legitimately treats bigger girls with the amount of dignity they deserve as equals. As humans. I swear though...to hear some people tell it you’d think being a fat girl was the single worst crime against humanity a person could commit!

I agree completely. I see this with people I respect sometimes. Many are quite well-educated and would describe themselves as liberal-minded and so on. One of my older friends who I respect for many of his insights on various political issues made an insulting and condescending comment about a fat woman he'd seen at the train station the other day. My level of respect dropped quite a few notches. In his case it might be a generational thing--he's 60ish. Still: he'd be quick as hell to call someone out on their racism. Not saying it's the same issue, or even that it's comparable. I just see a bit of cognative dissonance here.

Anyway, what you say is true--it's shameful how society treaty fat people. Not to go on a ran, but I think the medical/diet industry has contributed to this big time. I think they tend to give people a justification for their intolerance.

TwoSwords

No. I did not misinterpret what I've read. You've stated it twice here. You throw around the acronym SJW (I believe that stands for Social Justice Warrior) as though it had some derogatory significance. I just don't get why some people feel the need to demean folks who are vocal proponents of fat/size acceptance. Again, I feel a voice, any voice, is good for opening eyes and spreading awareness. If there were never any SWJs then blacks (and other minorities) could still be in chains, women could not have the right to vote (among other things), gay/lesbian/trans and others could forever stay in the closet, and people of size could barely be heard and definitely not seen. Every movement toward inclusiveness, togetherness, and social equality started with a so-called Social Justice Warrior carving a path for others to follow. Don't think it hasn't.
The acronym "SJW" refers to a person who is an obsessive attention-seeker, to the point that they damage whatever cause they claim to advocate for, because of how ridiculous they make it look. It is not another word for a civil rights activist.

And also, civil rights activists helped end segregation, but played little-to-no role in ending slavery. That was done by Abraham Lincoln.

TwoSwords

Since "size" is being discussed, has anyone noticed the following?
I m 6' tall. For many years I seldom saw a female who stood eye to eye. Now I see MANY young women who do.
I went to a Target near a major university last week and was astounded by the number of women near my height and taller.
I have noticed this change. There may be a chemical reason for it, but all we have so far to go on are correlations, which I don't consider proof, or even strong evidence.

Latest posts