Quantcast

Steampunk!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Saoirse

Do we have anyone whose into steampunk fashion? LOVE IT.

Dont currently own anything, but I tell ya, if I had money I would have corsets, hats and goggles up the friggin wazoo!

AtlantisAK

Oh, steampunk is so awesome. I dunno why, but it is. :) I shall return to this thread later....Just a quick post to push this up a bit.

StarWitness

part square, part drape
I'm as into steampunk as a fat chick with no crafting skills and a limited income can be (ie. my outfit sucks). I work for a convention that has had great success overlapping with the steampunk community-- unfortunately we weren't able to have an event in 2009 (stupid recession), but hopefully we'll be back in action soon.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
You might also enjoy the Girl Genius online comic, which is actually more a graphic novel than a comic. I certainly do!
By Phil and Kaja Foglio
From their FAQ:
Okay, what's a "Gaslamp Fantasy?"

Influences include Jules Verne and H. Rider Haggard. Expect big, clanking Victorian-style tech, old-fashioned clothes, Frankenstein monsters and airships. Lots and lots of airships. Is it magic? Is it science? A little of both, I suppose–it's Mad Science.
(Borrowed this pic from the welcome page):

-Rusty

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
I WOULD be into steampunk....if I wasn't already a slave to cyberpunk :p:p

Seriously though, steampunk is awesome, but too high maintenance/expensive for me.

Oirish

The Dude
The only familiarity I have with the term is from a comic by Chris Bachalo with the term as it's title. What's this steampunk fashion all about?

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
The only familiarity I have with the term is from a comic by Chris Bachalo with the term as it's title. What's this steampunk fashion all about?
Ever play Final Fantasy VI? To me, that is the epitome of steampunk.

Basically, it's a fashion (lifestyle, for some) that combines sci-fi, romance and technology, and bases them in a time period where steam power dominated (eg. Victorian).

StarWitness

part square, part drape
Steampunk is more than a fashion; it actually started (self-consciously, at least) as a subgenre of science fiction. The gist of it is interpreting a world with advanced technology through the lens of Victorian Era culture and imagination. The time period itself is played with pretty loosely; there's a faction of steampunk that focuses on the American West as inspiration known as Weird West. It's also splintered to include other eras (e.g. dieselpunk is the same thing, but using the 1930s and 40s as the stylistic inspiration).

On a less abstract level, it's a beautiful marriage of goth and nerd. :) Some bigger cities have steampunk meetups and excursions; one of the more active people in the scene local to me organizes a time traveler's excursion to the Renn fair every summer (so people dressed like sci-fi Victorians "time travelling" to explore the Middle Ages). It's become more visible at sci-fi conventions over the last few years too. People tend to express it based on their own talents: crafting props such as weapons or machina, creating clothing, writing stories, drawing, roleplaying, etc etc. It's not uncommon to have a persona, and base one's costumes on that concept.

UrbanSugar

Oh this looks cool, yet expensive. I love top hats I purchased a mini glittery one at a halloween store it sits on a shelf waiting for the perfect opportunity :D

Oirish

The Dude
Thanks for all the info. I've been a fan of that style in comics and games a while but had no idea there was a whole scene over it.

Saoirse

On a less abstract level, it's a beautiful marriage of goth and nerd. :) Some bigger cities have steampunk meetups and excursions; one of the more active people in the scene local to me organizes a time traveler's excursion to the Renn fair every summer (so people dressed like sci-fi Victorians "time travelling" to explore the Middle Ages). .
that is SO COOL!!!! Man, I wish i had the money to spend on clothes like that. I've always thought the Victorian era was pretty awesome (fashion-wise), but throw in the whole punk/metal stuff.... LOVE!!!

Tracyarts

I absolutely *love* the look and could seriously see myself getting into it if I had anywhere to wear that kind of stuff. I saw a group of five or six people in full steampunk attire in Galveston last month during the Victorian/Dickens themed Christmas festival they have there and thought they looked so cool.

Tracy

Tina

Older and wiser now
The Golden Compass is my apex for Steampunk fantasy. So much Art Nouveau in there, which is my fave time period for art. If you like steampunk and haven't seen it, that film is a real treat for the eyes, whatever else may be said about it.

Tina

Older and wiser now
This thread reminded me to re-list a couple of my Steampunk designs in my store, if anyone wants to look. The bumble bee ring is plus-size. More to come...

Latest posts