Quantcast

Stories that feature therapy?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

stevita

like the pancake
I'm curious about y'all's opinions on the use of therapy in weight gain/body positive stories. Personally, therapy has helped me a lot in the past for various issues and I'm considering including a scene where one of my characters starts seeing a therapist for his anxiety and hypochondria. Thing is, my character is a fat dude and I'm an average sized woman so my therapy experience is likely vastly different from whatever comes of what I might have to write. Does anyone have any experience on the realism of this subject?

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
xyantha is has a great story which includes therapy-- but of the ffa other than the bhm.

That one worked well, I thought, but I don't recall others that use it to a substantial extent.

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
It comes up often in many of my so-far-unpublished stories (not my currently-being-published one), sometimes based upon my extensive personal experiences (as a client, not a practitioner!) with several psychotherapy modalities over the years and decades. I’m in your situation in terms of body consistency, stevita, so can’t address that angle from personal experience. I’ve assuredly had BBW therapists, the last of whom i wish i could have dated.

For the fictional stories, i never gave it a thought: just wrote it in where it made sense. Most often fat was a topic of discussion in the character’s (or sometimes characters’) therapy, though there’s no reason that this would be necessary.

Does anyone have any experience on the realism of this subject?
I’m hung up trying to figure out precisely what you mean by this. Seems to me that people of any/no gender and any body composition would be equally likely/unlikely to seek/benefit from/not benefit from psychotherapy, those latter differences being far more about their world view, upbringing, and personality than gender or body characteristics. Apologies if i’m totally misunderstanding what you’re asking.

stevita

like the pancake
It comes up often in many of my so-far-unpublished stories (not my currently-being-published one), sometimes based upon my extensive personal experiences (as a client, not a practitioner!) with several psychotherapy modalities over the years and decades. I’m in your situation in terms of body consistency, stevita, so can’t address that angle from personal experience. I’ve assuredly had BBW therapists, the last of whom i wish i could have dated.

For the fictional stories, i never gave it a thought: just wrote it in where it made sense. Most often fat was a topic of discussion in the character’s (or sometimes characters’) therapy, though there’s no reason that this would be necessary.

I’m hung up trying to figure out precisely what you mean by this. Seems to me that people of any/no gender and any body composition would be equally likely/unlikely to seek/benefit from/not benefit from psychotherapy, those latter differences being far more about their world view, upbringing, and personality than gender or body characteristics. Apologies if i’m totally misunderstanding what you’re asking.
My main question is, is it easy to come by a fat-positive therapist, or at least one that won't bring up or pathologize their client's size? Or is it more likely to have to shop around a bit before you find a therapist that 'clicks'? This is something I want to portray realistically in the narrative so I'm hoping to hear from the experiences of the BHM/BBW/BBNB folks here who have gone to therapy for non-weight-related matters.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I've not undertaken therapy, but to me it seems that it must be a bit like dating in one way: experiences will be very personal. There will be those people who just get lucky and find someone they click with, those who stick with someone that is not a good match, those that have a few failed attempts and then finally click. Or, to paraphrase the story from one rock-and-roller that I heard, go through a pile who don't get you at all and then finally find the one who gets through to you and makes a huge difference in your life, only to see them get arrested in the parking lot and later find out they'd undertaken a string of bank robberies (Fortunately Hugh Dillon did proceed to get sober and clean and continues to be a hard-ass musician and an interesting actor, so losing your one true therapy love is not always the end of things)

ODFFA

I was going to mention Xyantha's story too. It's one of my favourites and featured therapy as quite a prominent theme. I'm sure you'll be able to depict it very well. Like Tad said, it's a rather personal experience :)

stevita

like the pancake
Yeah, I was one of the lucky ones in that I immediately clicked with my therapist. I guess I was just curious to see how common or uncommon my experience is, and how differed it might be from my OC's when I eventually write that chapter. I also have an undergrad degree in psych but I've never used it. I work in foodservice.

(Here's one you might not have heard. Q: what do you call a person with a BA in psychology and a bottle of champagne? A: a waitress.)

@Tad that could not have been a wilder ride if I had written it myself. (I know you made it far enough through the story to know I've had enough people arrested at this point though, if I did it again it would just be overkill.)

@ODFFA I read Negativity, and I loved it! Actually brings me back to the days when I was seeing a professional and my preferences did come up in the office once or twice. By that time I was already pretty established in the feedist community and I was over my worries about "what if I'm a bad person for wanting people to be fat" but it did help a lot getting reinforcement from a licenced professional telling me that it's all good as long as the other person was okay with it.