Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Board Announcements and Technical Support' started by UserNameName, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jan 28, 2018 #1

UserNameName

UserNameName

UserNameName

This site is called "Dimensions Magazine". So um, where's the magazine? I don't see anything about any publication. Am I just missing something?

2. Jan 28, 2018 #2

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Others will answer this in more detail, but a physical "Dimensions Magazine" preceded this forum by many years. Although the magazine is no longer in print, there also used to be a main website attached to this forum that had all kinds of nifty stuff, articles, stories, etc...

Edit- Hey! The "Weight Room" stories are still online... http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/Weight_Room/stories.html

3. Jan 28, 2018 #3

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

I was trying to see:blush: if there is an archive of the print-version's covers here on the site and, no, not really. The print-version pretty-much ended in mid-'95 and there was one final issue a coupla years later. The original publisher IIRC sold the whole enterprise in maybe 2015 to... hmm, I think:doh: the folks who were running a sort-of similar/parallel site... I've never seen a really detailed article about that handover~ might be time to do one, eh?:confused: I did most of the cartoon-covers from '85 on, as the magazine evolved out of a civil-rights-group newsletter whose first few cartoon-covers were drawn by the late Susan Mason:bow:. As 'desktop-publishing' advanced, DIMz' publisher pioneered full-color photos-of-real-'pinup models' glossy-paper covers... this was just after SPIDER-MAN introduced digital coloring and better paper to the comics world, by the way... '88, '89~ that far back, kids. So then around '97 DIMENSIONS along with another silicon-valley-area magazine, Salon.Com, became the first regular online magazines. DIMz for a coupla years there was one of the central popculture hubs of the internet!:kiss2:

4. Jan 28, 2018 #4

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

It would be kind of cool to have a "History of Dimensions Magazine" thread. I have no idea if people actually have old information saved for it though.

5. Jan 28, 2018 #5

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

To expand a bit on what was said above ...

NAAFA (national association to advance fat acceptance, or something like that) was the original (?) size acceptance advocacy group in the US. As I understand it, it was mostly aimed at big people, but of course attracted the attention of some FA, but that created some tensions. The FA 'special interest group' (FA-SIG) was formed to discuss FA issues, and a newsletter was started for that group (this was pre-web days, so a paper newsletter). That evolved into Dimensions Magazine.

When the web came around Dimensions created a web site quite early on, posting some weight gain stories and columns from the magazine as well as running competitions for 'wannabe' models for the magazine. Meanwhile a lady by the online handle of BBW-QT had a site featuring 'personal style' ads for bbw and FA, and she eventually added a discussion board and a chat room. The popularity of the board and chat room took off, and the band-width charges soon became too much for her to support, and a deal was struck for Dimensions to take those over (and she closed the rest of her original site).

Some time not too long after that Dimensions stopped printing an actual magazine, but it was far too late to change the web-site name. The chat room eventually shut down for technical reasons, unfortunately, but the discussion boards have carried on ever since (there was a re-set to new software in 2006).

As mentioned above, the original owner of Dimensions eventually retired from running it, and sold it off to, as I understand it, a company that runs a number of community forums. They tried a few things to monetize Dimensions, without much luck, but continue to support it. I think the history of hits and links to forum posts must help their on-line metrics in some way, even if the boards are not nearly as active as they were back in the day when they were pretty much THE online site for fat admiration.

6. Jan 29, 2018 #6

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

Another factor of note is that it's cheaper to provide bandwidth for a site that isn't getting as much traffic, currently, so Dimensions might feasibly squeeze through for a relative song, due to its popularity decline.

weetabix likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2018 #7

Am Jim

Am Jim

Am Jim

Remember when the web address was pencomputing.com (or something very similar to that)?

LifelongFA and weetabix like this.
  8. Jan 30, 2018 #8

Marlayna

Marlayna

Marlayna

I used to subscribe to the magazine. It made me feel accepted in a world that was intolerant of fat people back then. Things have improved greatly, thank goodness. :bow:

LifelongFA, weetabix and fuelingfire like this.
  9. Feb 17, 2018 #9

ChattyBecca

ChattyBecca

ChattyBecca

Would have loved to have seen the magazines. Great site BTW!

10. Feb 20, 2018 #10

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Yep, the owner of Dimensions Magazine also owned Pen Computing magazine (I think it focused on PDAs, back before our phones got 'smart'), and he didn't register a domain for Dimensions for along time, just making use of the one he needed for his money making business.

weetabix likes this.
  11. Feb 21, 2018 #11

Am Jim

Am Jim

Am Jim

Interesting! I always wonderd how that address came about. Thx.

12. Feb 21, 2018 #12

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

It's a bit sad, if you google image Dimensions Magazine, you can only see two of the covers. Also there is now a different magazine called Dimensions, completely different topic though.

13. Feb 22, 2018 #13

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

I'm still ponder to myself why they don't take opportunity to relaunch their magazine online... I mean, with access to social medis, blogs and ecetera this is likely possible.

14. Feb 23, 2018 #14

Tracii

Tracii

Tracii

I remember the magazines.

15. Feb 26, 2018 #15

mp7251

mp7251

mp7251

I have all the issues including the first ten that were just in paper if anybody wants them. I'm 66 and read them all years ago. No charge but I'm not paying for shipping.

16. Feb 26, 2018 #16

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

fuelingfire

Does anyone know if there are copyright issues? If I wanted to get them and put them online, probably just here at Dims. Having never seen any of them in actual print or just paper. I would be interested in attempting to preserve them, assuming they are not insanely large.

17. Feb 26, 2018 #17

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I have everything from the NAAFA fat sig to the copies of the print magazine...... couldn’t bring myself to throw them away

18. Apr 8, 2018 #18

ravfa

ravfa

ravfa

I also have every issue of both the black and white FA-SIG newletter (which stood for Fat Admirer Special Interest Group, which was a part of NAAFA) and all the issues of Dimensions magazine, which evolved from the newsletter. They had a contest of sorts to pick the name Dimensions. I also had a few things published in the magazine.

I was pretty bummed when they stopped publishing the magazine. It was supposed to be published on a bimonthly schedule, but was usually less regular. But it was always a thrill to get the new issue and dive into it. Also sad when the original publisher/editor/webmaster seemingly disappeared overnight and left behind the whole size acceptance scene.

19. Apr 8, 2018 #19

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

@ravfa things change as technology changes. I remember my subscription to BBW magazine which was another pencomputing publication. I still think I’m owed about 7 months on my last subscription! Lol

Being part of the FA/ bbw world as a business person can’t be easy. I can see how after that many years, you just might want to relax and life.

20. Apr 8, 2018 #20

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

I can see how a business person might decide it was unprofitable to continue, and based purely on economic factors, abandon the attempt, but as for relaxing and living, that I don't understand. It seems like the actions don't match up with relaxation, or relief of any kind.