Quantcast

Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Les Toil

Another link...for those who are wondering if this is the only song she can sing well: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/videos-pics/entertainment/videos/2009/04/16/exclusive-susan-boyle-s-first-ever-music-release-listen-to-it-here-86908-21283593/
It started automatically for me, and was confusing because it shows pictures of her BGT performance on the media player - but they say this is her singing a recording of Cry Me a River for a charity CD in 1999.
Holy crap!!!! That was freakin' stunning! This is actually leaps and bounds more chilling to me than even her TV performance (I guess because she has a full production behind her here). Wow, this woman is up there with the biggest of the biggies.

Tina, what's your opinion? You are the person who turned me on to this song years ago ("Cry Me A River").

Thanks for posting Joy.

Les Toil

I'll tell you what also steamed my broccolli. The fact that Simon made a big stink face when this woman said her age--when we all know he's pretty much the same friggin' age! I'm glad most people realize his whole fucktoid act is mostly just an act.

cold comfort

i really, really could care less about getting into all of the critical 'let's judge something' talk ... it's just exhausting. especially after viewing something like this, where you are so incredibly moved and want to feel that inspiration just slowly soaking into your bones. like, maybe we can just put the judgments on pause for a minute. ALL of them.

all i know is, i watched the clip, and it ran its course. and nothing else seemed to matter except susan boyle. her talent, her beautiful voice, her journey. i'm kind of a sap, so i bawled quite badly. and then i watched it again. and i cried some more. and i watched it again ... and i think my eyes only glistened that time, but it was a close call.

it's just a beautiful performance and i couldn't agree more with amanda holden - it was a privilege to listen to that. it really was. i'm not even going to bother wishing susan boyle the best in her future endeavors because there is no doubt in my mind that the best is headed her way.

Do you know when she will be on again? Or was this just the preliminaries and we have to wait forever for the finalists to go again.
According to the website Joy links below, she won't be in front of the judges again until late next month. In the meantime though you can check out her rendition of "Cry Me a River" on that same link...

Another link...
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/videos-pics/entertainment/videos/2009/04/16/exclusive-susan-boyle-s-first-ever-music-release-listen-to-it-here-86908-21283593/
It started automatically for me, and was confusing because it shows pictures of her BGT performance on the media player - but they say this is her singing a recording of Cry Me a River for a charity CD in 1999.
I just wanted to repost this in case anyone looked over it, as posting the link was actually my intention when i wandered right on over here (bravo on the find, joy!). Please give that a click and check out her version of "Cry Me a River" ... quite possibly one of my most favorite songs ever, and it is so beautifully done that i ... well ... cried again. Go figure. :rolleyes:

CCC

i really, really could care less about getting into all of the critical 'let's judge something' talk ... it's just exhausting. especially after viewing something like this, where you are so incredibly moved and want to feel that inspiration just slowly soaking into your bones. like, maybe we can just put the judgments on pause for a minute. ALL of them.
Amen. Positive energy is nice.

katherine22

She restored my faith in humanity. Didn't they have to eat humble pie or what.

Dansinfool

Are we their yet!
Brian, you know...I went back and listened to it again from your perspective, and I can see it differently now. I think that this is perhaps an instance of my own cynicism of society framing up a situation without considering another possibility. I do have to wonder, though, about the judges comments to her after the song about how "everyone was against" her, and that everyone was laughing at her. Surely they had some reason to believe that was the case. It's hard to know for sure, without having actually been there, what the atmosphere was.

Another link...for those who are wondering if this is the only song she can sing well: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/videos-pics/entertainment/videos/2009/04/16/exclusive-susan-boyle-s-first-ever-music-release-listen-to-it-here-86908-21283593/
JoyJoy,
Thank you for posting this link. I just listened to it and
it was hot.
She has an amazing voice :) Glad you found that.

RVGleason

An absolutely stunning performance. What's interesting is to watch the reactions of the judges and the audience before and after Ms Boyle sings. Just fantastic! :wubu:

RV :eat1:

Spanky

Freakishly Normal
This is why I do not trust the Brits.

They can get you believing they are holding a pair of deuces when they are really staring at a royal flush. :D Can you alert the Germans of this??

I have always believed that in the masses, there are people prettier than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, there are potential actors better than the Oscar winners, and sports talents better than Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning.

It is all about potential and getting the chance. Some never get it. As much as I hate talent shows, the whole genre really works when it gives this nobody, nowhere, woman (like the rest of us) a chance to show her potential.

WOW.

altered states

señor member
My mom actually turned me on to this, of all people. She's always been fat-phobic, and fairly hard on people's appearances in general. Maybe old age is mellowing her out. Here's the message she sent with the link:

There is something to be said for true reality and this Scottish woman is it for sure. People are just starved and anemic from being fed all the blond look alike stuff.

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
My mom actually turned me on to this, of all people. She's always been fat-phobic, and fairly hard on people's appearances in general. Maybe old age is mellowing her out. Here's the message she sent with the link:

There is something to be said for true reality and this Scottish woman is it for sure. People are just starved and anemic from being fed all the blond look alike stuff.
I :wubu: Tres Huevos Mum!
Tracey xx

Celestial Ceece

SSBBW Singer
I've been watching this on the news for the past two days, and I've cried almost every time. I'm a singer - I'm supersized, disabled, poor, and have a number of other reasons (err excuses) as to why I haven't put myself out there more. I won't get into it all but I believe that Susan Boyle was chosen by some higher power to lift us all up - to let people know that when it comes to talent, it isn't about looks at all, but more about what comes out of your mouth.

I have also thought about trying out for reality shows for, oh, I dunno, far too long, but never went ahead with it for whatever reasons. But now, you know, I feel more and more like these risks are worth taking. So next year, when America's Got Talent auditions come to a city near me, will somebody drive me and stand in line with me (well I'll need to sit or I'll die of pain)? Pretty please! I know my myspace doesn't give you much of anything to go on, but believe me, I'm talented too, and praying to become an overnight sensation just like Ms. Boyle.

Also, I would just like to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread for restoring my faith in TALENT! Now I've just gotta pick out a good song to audition with. Something as moving as her song choice.

Remember that we've got our fair share of underdog stories right here on this board. And we should support our own however we can!

JoyJoy

The biggest reason Susan touches me is that, at 47, she's putting herself out there and still going for her dream. I'll be 43 this year and have several dreams/goals that I'd like to fulfill - but they're things that most people have done at a much younger age, so I have that voice in my head saying "You're too old to do that!", which makes me hesitate and think it's too late. I know deep inside that that voice is full of shit, but still....it's a battle I go through all the time. So I owe a lot to Susan for reminding me that it's never really too late.

mergirl

I've been watching this on the news for the past two days, and I've cried almost every time. I'm a singer - I'm supersized, disabled, poor, and have a number of other reasons (err excuses) as to why I haven't put myself out there more. I won't get into it all but I believe that Susan Boyle was chosen by some higher power to lift us all up - to let people know that when it comes to talent, it isn't about looks at all, but more about what comes out of your mouth.

I have also thought about trying out for reality shows for, oh, I dunno, far too long, but never went ahead with it for whatever reasons. But now, you know, I feel more and more like these risks are worth taking. So next year, when America's Got Talent auditions come to a city near me, will somebody drive me and stand in line with me (well I'll need to sit or I'll die of pain)? Pretty please! I know my myspace doesn't give you much of anything to go on, but believe me, I'm talented too, and praying to become an overnight sensation just like Ms. Boyle.

Also, I would just like to say thanks to everyone who posted on this thread for restoring my faith in TALENT! Now I've just gotta pick out a good song to audition with. Something as moving as her song choice.

Remember that we've got our fair share of underdog stories right here on this board. And we should support our own however we can!
You would win 'America's got talent missus'!! I can vouch for you!! Your CD is AWSOME!! As were our over the phone jams!! lol.. So, yeah.. when the next show is happening.. take this woman to the auditions!!
Also, when you become a squillionaire..please come to scotland for a visit!
x

mergirl

Aww.. i'm so glad everyone loves her. The scottish are amazing though..are we not?:p

mango

Mustachio Nut
A star is born!

Congratz to Susan.. Her singing career is well and truly launched now regardless of what happens on the show.

I'm not going to bother commenting on the perceived audience reactions prior to her performance.

I don't really watch these talent shows, but I suspect the winner of this season of Britain's Got Talent has already been decided.

What does the winner get??

:cool:

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
She has a lovely singing voice.

But, I'm just a bit jaded against reality TV. (It's not really real.) They do casting calls, plots are scripted and winners and losers are decided ahead of time. It just seemed like a set up to me. Parade her out as a frumpy old woman for the audience to mock and then "shock" them with her amazing voice.

That being said, she is a genuine talent and I hope she has a successful career ahead of her.

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
but I believe that Susan Boyle was chosen by some higher power to lift us all up - to let people know that when it comes to talent, it isn't about looks at all, but more about what comes out of your mouth.
Me too! 100%.

mango

Mustachio Nut
Just came across this online....

Oprah Winfrey invites Britain's Got Talent singing sensation Susan Boyle on to her show

By David Murray
Herald Sun
April 18, 2009 12:01am

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25350242-10229,00.html

* Britain's Got Talent star a media sensation
* Oprah Winfrey looking for interview
* Following in footsteps of Paul Potts

She's got talent ... Susan Boyle gives the thumbs up at her home in Blackburn, Scotland / AP

A WEEK ago Susan Boyle was an unemployed 47-year-old single cat owner who had never been kissed.

She is still all of the above, but now Boyle can add global megastar to her unlikely CV. Even Oprah Winfrey is lining up to have the Scottish spinster appear on her show.

Over the past week an online clip of the Scotswoman singing on Britain's Got Talent has been viewed more than 20 million times.

In the process the unassuming charity volunteer has sparked an international debate over society's obsession with physical beauty.

The dowdy Boyle was written off as soon as she stepped up to the stage last Saturday, the audience unable to contain their laughter at her hopes of emulating British theatre star Elaine Paige.

But she changed their minds instantly with her powerful performance of I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables, earning wild applause.

"Without a doubt that is the biggest surprise I have had in three years of the show," said judge Piers Morgan. "Everyone was laughing at you - no one is laughing now."

Back in her tiny home village of Blackburn, near Edinburgh, locals were not so shocked.

"We weren't surprised," Happy Vale Hotel manager Jackie Russell said yesterday.

"When we saw all the faces in the audience mocking her, we were quite hurt by that.

"We were all just saying just 'wait until she opens her mouth and belts it out', and she did.

"We had young boys in here, 19 years old, and they were moved to tears. Everybody had lumps in their throats.

"We were just moved because she'd eventually done something for herself. Susan would do anything for you, and now we feel it's Susan's turn."

The 5000-strong village welcomed her back last weekend with a standing ovation in church.

But, while locals expected her voice to shine, the worldwide reaction was another matter altogether.

National and international TV crews and photographers have filled village streets for days, and phones have been ringing off the hook.

NBC Today Show host Kathie Lee Gifford was moved to tears, CBS interviewed Boyle live, the Washington Post ran a major feature and hundreds of US TV and radio programs have asked to speak to her.

On microblogging site Twitter, it has been one of the most talked-about subjects this week.

Actor Ashton Kutcher wrote about the clip: "This just made my night." Wife Demi Moore replied: "You saw it made me teary!"

Now Oprah Winfrey has invited her to sing on her show, to which Boyle replied: "I might accept the offer if I get the chance. She's quite a lady."

She had been similarly innocent during her talent show appearance, where she revealed she'd been singing since she was 12 and had "always wanted to perform in front of a large audience".

Off-stage, she added: "I've never been married. Never been kissed. Shame ... but it's not an advert."

The attention has seen the hits on her YouTube clips go ballistic, outdoing the response to the Britain's Got Talent 2007 winner Paul Potts.

Potts became a global household name after clips of him singing Nessun Dorma went on to the website.

In a sign of what may be to come for Boyle, Potts went on to have a No. 1 album in 15 countries.

At the Happy Vale Hotel, there's not much work getting done with all the phone calls. Said Jackie Russell: "We've just been off the phone live on radio in Canada. We've had Texas on the phone, we've had everybody on the phone.

"We all knew that she had a beautiful voice, but we didn't know that she would take off like this."

Callers seeking interviews with Boyle yesterday were politely told she was booked solid until next week.

A spokeswoman for the show said: "It's the biggest response in talent show history."

And it wasn't an overstatement.

Of the millions who have watched her performance online, hundreds of thousands have posted supportive comments. Many admit feeling guilty for expecting so little.

"I shamefully admit I passed judgment before she sang," wrote one viewer.

Another said: "You prove that you cannot judge a book by its cover ... you are an inspiration to all of us middle-aged women who think they are dreaming the impossible and are scared to go out and show the world what we are capable of."

Boyle, who is handling the attention remarkably well, agrees that people are "too quick to judge" on appearances.

"There is not much you can do about it; it is the way they think; it is the way they are. But maybe this could teach them a lesson, or set an example," she said.

There are six more auditions before the judges will announce 40 semi-finalists, a quarter of whom will make it into the final at the end of May.
:cool:

mergirl

One thing.. seeing i am from scotland and there are only 5 and a half million of us.. i know all scottish people personally and this..'Jackie Russell'.. she is 'ruff'. muwahahahahahahahahaha!!

Latest posts