The brutal secrets behind ‘The Biggest Loser’ | dailytelegraph.com.au

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by phelan4022, Jan 19, 2015.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Jan 26, 2015 #21

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

There's a gap between what people can do and what they should do. The army can get away with two-mile runs on the first day of boot camp because all those boots have had to take, and pass, a physical exam beforehand. Which is a good place to point out that anyone contemplating a radical (or even not-so-radical)change of regimen should have a physical examination, if only to find out what he/she can (and should) do.

2. Jan 27, 2015 #22

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

The Army physical lasted all of 20 seconds. We all stood in line in our underwear and when it was our turn the doctor glanced at our chart and gave us a quick visual inspection for any obvious physical defects. That was it.

3. Jan 27, 2015 #23

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

I was hoping for something a little better from the army. My US Navy physical was more in-depth: I had to turn my head and cough.*

*They were checking for undescended testicles: you need balls to be a sailor.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #24

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

I agree with you and that is one reason why I refuse to watch it or participate in such challenges at work. Such drastic approaches are also not sustainable in the long run. Also, if you're like me and your thyroid is messed up, doing something like that could further mess up your body. I don't care to risk it.

5. Feb 2, 2015 #25

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

lucca23v2

Curves for miles

There is nothing wrong with restricting caloric intake or 5 to 8 hours of exercise as long as you do it safely and slowly. You can not take someone who is use to eating 3000 calories or more a day and the next day cut their calories under 1000. The body will react violently. The same thing with exercise, 5 to 8 hours is not really a bad ting. However, you can't take a person who life has always been a sedentary one to waking them up early and doing 5 to 8 hours of extremely hard workouts the next day.

BL is lucky that someone has not died on that set. Those are conditions to give someone a heart attack. If they take them and slowly introduce them to work outs.. and slowly reduce the calorie intake, then they will be good.

Networks are trying to make money out of something that should not and can not fit into a "filming schedule".

Then there is the other side to it like Rachel Frederickson. She got ail thin. To the pint where she was under the healthy body mass index. So how much good can the show be doing for people when it is creating health issues?

This show doesn't promote anything but weight loss programs, trainers and machinery. Personally I think they create more body image issues. Not everyone can be a size 0,2,4,10,12 or even a 16/18 no matter how much they exercise and eat healthy. Just because you are fat does not mean you are unhealthy.

The article on Rachel Frederickson.

http://www.eonline.com/news/509452/the-biggest-loser-considering-tweaks-after-rachel-frederickson-s-shocking-weight-loss

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  6. Feb 7, 2015 #26

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

7. Feb 7, 2015 #27

Saoirse

Saoirse

Saoirse

8. Feb 10, 2015 #28

Surlysomething

Surlysomething