The comic book (Jesus Christ Marie, they're graphic novels) thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
hub just got a digital copy of 'just the tip' by matt fraction. i have not read it yet, but he mentioned it looks good.

i think next week is the new matt fraction sex criminals issue. hub reviewed it for his website and said it was good.

the good part of being married to a comic encyclopedia is he has been very helpful explaining all the easter eggs in the movies and tv shows. i just started watching constantine and have enjoyed it. he explains alot of the back story stuff for me so I don't have to read 30 years of comics stuff to catch up. he explained the cop who glowed green, the helmet that takes you over and such. he has also been vital in explaining all the back story stuff for all the past/upcoming marvel and dc movies.

so much to learn....

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
Yeah, it can be pretty handy having someone with a decent knowledge of the background (they do love to drop little nods into these things). I have a few friend who know more about different areas of comics and between us we can normally make sense of things.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
the comic book store here in charlotte just had a huge event at the release of the spider gwen book. 2 of the guys who worked on it are from charlotte, so it made sense.

did you read it?

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
did anyone see the press release photo of that little girl from glee being the next supergirl? comments?

i think i have too much of a glee attachment to her to buy it. we'll have to see how she plays it.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
so hub gave me some interesting comic book trivia...he said the recent spider gwen was not the top selling book of feb. he said it was no. 3. i was surprised since it got so much net buzz. he mentioned that the darth vader #1 was no. 2 and the top book was orphan black #1. he said this was due to a deal the distributor had with a company called loot crate. it was included in the loot crate monthly subscription service, so they ordered a ton of them to send in the monthly loot boxes. i did read several articles online about how this may effect the comic book industry and how it throws off the sales vs. shipped numbers and actual books sold via direct/comic shop sales. i am guessing that loot box does not pay full retail for their books...so it may be the biggest book in number of units, but i bet they took a bath on it.

the good thing i did read about the loot crate phenomenon is that they do order from different publishers based on their theme needs. this at least may let some of the smaller publishers/distributors get in on the action.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
free comic book day this saturday! :D

ps. if i don't get back to this thread by then

may the 4th be with you!!!

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
what with all of the hard-sell to subscribe at the end:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM[/ame]

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
oh i saw this! it is about if marvel tried to give black widow her own movie and it ends up going all chic flick. lmao.

was a busy comic book weekend for hub. saturday was free comic book day and the shop in charlotte had a huge event. then there was a local con down in south charlotte. it is not as big as the one in june at the convention center, but he goes every year and really enjoys it. hub talked to the people who run it and they mentioned having to move to a bigger facility as the event has grown every year!

i am just glad he does not have anymore events until the big one in june.

FreeThinker

I'm not into it like I once was, but here are a few of my faves:

Love and Rockets, Watchmen, Arkham Asylum, and Strangers In Paradise, as mentioned (deservedly) by others before me.

Mr X (Vortex, not Marvel): Largely a Dean Motter project with a lot of Hernandez Brothers work.

Stig's Inferno: A Ty Templeton work that ran seven issues, centered on the adventures of a man wandering through Hell after being killed by a piano. Taking inspiration from, and paying (irreverent) homage to Dante's Divine Comedy, the series is filled with humour both low (sight gags are rampant) and high.

Somerset Holmes: A Bruce Jones / Eric Anderson limited series about an amnesiac who finds herself pursued by the feds. Also enjoyed Mr Anderson's work in the X-Men Graphic Novel.

Cutey Bunny: Silly but amusing Joshua Quagmire series featuring Kelly O'Hare, an anthropomorphic rabbit. Much sexual innuendo (no sex, though). Cameos by Baby Huey, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Ronald Reagan, and Chris Claremont.

Sam and Max #1 (Fishrap Productions) and Sam and Max #1 (comico): An anthropomorhized dog and rabbit (what, again?) working as 'Freelance Police'. Probably the comic I most often quote. Didn't care for the television show, but greatly enjoyed the first video game.

Dazzler (Marvel): What can I say? I wanted to get in on the beginning of something. Saw it through to the end as well: I've got the complete run, including the graphic novel. Not proud of that, but I still hold some affection for this largely vacuous title.

Cerebus (Aardvark-Vanaheim): Fantasy series by Dave Sim and Gerhart, about an aardvark who, amoung many other things, meets (versions of) the Marx Brothers and the Rolling Stones, and becomes pope. Was into it for a while, but it fell off my radar.

Journey (Aardvark-Vanaheim / Fantagraphics): Gripping story by William Messner-Loebs, following the exploits of Josh MacAlistaire, a fictional frontiersman in Michigan during the 19th century. You may not like the art at first, but it grows on you.

No incomplete list would be complete if I didn't mention Scott McLoud's Understanding Comics, which I found quite interesting.

I'm quite enjoying this thread.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
these look interesting. i will pass your faves along to hub. maybe he will want to review one for his site.

my next comic related project is going to be a cosplay outfit for our 2.5 y/o. heroescon is next month and i have to get moving on an outfit for her. last year i made her a saturn girl outfit.

it is always had to find a comic book female that is not dressed like a hooker. lol. i am always trying to figure out a character that is appropriate to transition for a kid. this year i am leaning toward a modified she-ra outfit. (add spaghetti straps to top and make a bit longer in skirt.). i am also looking at the classic phantom girl outfit which is fully covered all white outfit with the classic P. i am not sure my daughter would leave the jet black wig on..so she-ra is winning.

cherrygarcia

screams for ice cream
I think my favourite is either Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth or The Killing Joke, probably safe choices, but these books are classics for a reason.

At the moment, I'm trying to stay current with the new Harley Quinn series, hoping it'll make up for the damage they did to her when DCs new 52 push started.
There's nothing wrong with loving the classics! So with you. I've never gotten around to reading any Harley Quinn books, though I've always been curious. How are you finding it so far?

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
hub and i stopped at a comic shop on the way home from visiting the in laws today. he found 3 back issues of legion of super-heroes that he needed in some .50 boxes! score!

deanbpm

2000ad has always been my favourite, particularly Judge Dredd. I love the world it's set in and the use of satire. I don't read it as religiously as I did when I was younger but still get an anthology or a Megazine from time to time.

Apart from that I did not read comics for years but then started reading The Walking Dead not long after it started and it blew me away. Also started getting in to alternative comics at around the same time, I think it was David Boring and Maus that did that.

View attachment image.jpg

Latest posts