The Concentration Camp Diet

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
While I agree that the two are different, I think the intent of that post was to show that genocides and concentration camps were already being trivialized by people that talk about it as a weight loss tool. It's like saying that being hung upside down and beaten (like the Police in my origin country Sri Lanka do) will be good for building muscle tone.
I know what the OP said but then he turned it around and equated it. I can read, thanks.

Russell Williams

My mum's favourite comment in regards to my various struggles to lose weight is "well, no-one came out of Belsen fat". :rolleyes:
While it is probably true that no one came out of the concentration camps fat a lot of people came out of them dead.

I have pointed out that the only successful weight loss program I have ever heard of was run by the IG Farbin company for some of its workers in the period 1943 in 1944. It had three parts.

One, calorie restriction.

Two, an exercise portion

Three, a strong motivational part

In the past I had mentioned this and said that I did not wish to provide the details because I thought that the conditions were too harsh to subject people to. People have responded that it was not for me to decide whether or not somebody should undergo the program but let everyone have their own choice about whether or not they wish to follow the program.

Calorie restriction – each worker was given a very low calorie diet calculated to make each worker lose a certain amount of weight each week.

The exercise portion – workers lived together in barracks that were part of Auschwitz and always went to work, from place to place at work, and back to their barracks at a trot.

Strong motivational part – if someone left their workstation to go search for food they were shot to death.

My understanding is that almost everyone on the program lost weight and kept any weight they lost off for the rest of their lives. (Some may have been liberated before they died and some of these may have regained weight)

It is the only diet I've ever heard of in which almost everyone on the diet program lost weight and kept it off for the rest of their lives.

Russell Williams

I guess...I think I'm just used to it to be honest. She doesnt really mean to be, well, mean...she just doesnt understand me and my relationship with food at all because she would do pretty much anything to not be fat (which is ironic because she is, of course, tiny) and she literally cant comprehend why I don't feel the same. Altho, like I said, I've never explained either.

Anyway, derailed there...so...concentration camp diets....!
I Have trouble comprehending why someone would not feel compelled to go to church every Sunday but, I do not browbeat people with the fact that I go to church and they do not. I do not assume that everyone views the world exactly the way I do. There are people who are utterly unable to believe that anyone comprehends the world differently from the way they do.

danbsc29630

I Have trouble comprehending why someone would not feel compelled to go to church every Sunday
I can think of a few reasons.

Back on topic, avoid the whole mess of the Holocaust and look to the Soviet Gulag. I believe the diet was specifically designed to give someone not enough calories so they will waste away. Kind of avoids the whole moral minefield that was the Third Reich.

Russell Williams

I'm not completely sure that God exists and I have some doubts about whether or not Christ rose from the dead. The accounts of the Last Supper and of the crucifixion are fairly consistent between Matthew Mark Luke and John. The accounts of the resurrection vary widely. The accounts of what happened after the resurrection vary widely.

However those doubts to not prevent me from feeling compelled to go to church and to be of service as best I can to the community.

There is the hymn that talks of the needs of this world and of God's wondering who he can send to help deal with them. And then the response in the hymn goes something like, "is it I Lord.?". That particular hymn speaks to me very loudly. I also sing it very loudly on those Sundays that it is sung.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
When I see something like this, it makes me wonder what lessons people are truly learning from history. How can a person hear about the deaths of over six million people and think "you know, I could lose weight like that"? It was a genocide. And less than 70 years later, when there are still individuals living who survived it, in the minds of some it is reduced to a weight loss scheme? What have we as a society learned from the horror that was the Holocaust if it is dismissed so easily? And if we fail to learn from it, how quickly will it be repeated?
I often wonder why it is that people are unaware of the many genocide level events, most employing concentration camps, that murdered 100,000+ (Turks mass murder of Armenians) to over 20million plus (Stalin, Mao) people - besides the Nazi Holocaust of Jewish, gypsy, black, gay and mentally disadvantaged people.

It really bothers me that most people are totally unaware that genocides are a frequently repeating occurrence in history.

http://www.genocide.org/

Nine of the 20th century genocides are listed here:
http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/deathgc.htm#chart

penguin

Fnord
I'm not completely sure that God exists and I have some doubts about whether or not Christ rose from the dead. The accounts of the Last Supper and of the crucifixion are fairly consistent between Matthew Mark Luke and John. The accounts of the resurrection vary widely. The accounts of what happened after the resurrection vary widely.

However those doubts to not prevent me from feeling compelled to go to church and to be of service as best I can to the community.

There is the hymn that talks of the needs of this world and of God's wondering who he can send to help deal with them. And then the response in the hymn goes something like, "is it I Lord.?". That particular hymn speaks to me very loudly. I also sing it very loudly on those Sundays that it is sung.
I don't get why some people need to push their religion on others, as if it's the only way to live.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I often wonder why it is that people are unaware of the many genocide level events, most employing concentration camps, that murdered 100,000+ (Turks mass murder of Armenians) to over 20million plus (Stalin, Mao) people - besides the Nazi Holocaust of Jewish, gypsy, black, gay and mentally disadvantaged people.
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but we in the U.S. are unaware of things that happen outside our country because they are seldom reported in the news. On the other hand, we keep up-to-the-minute on the really important stuff, such as which celebrity was arrested for DUI. :)

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
First, let me say that I too was ashamed that human beings have come up with a new way to trivialize the Holocaust. What happened to our fellow humans in those dark days was evil and inspired by one of the lowest forms of life to walk on two legs - Hitler. This mad man inspired white Germans into mass murdering a race because of their religion by people who thought they had the right to kill men, women, and children by the millions because of their religious beliefs and race.

I also strongly agree that we have to be constantly vigilant to make sure the world remembers the Holocaust. Just this little discussion/debate on DIMS is important in keeping what happened in our memory. This will become more and more important in the generation growing up now - they did not live thru WWII and the young must be exposed to the evils that the Nazis planned and carried out.

Certainly there were other despots who were intent on murdering masses of people. In this demonic “band of brothers” (recent history branch) , we can also add Stalin, Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, the Kim Jong’s of N Korea, the white men who came close to exterminating the American & South American Native Indians, and the “Kings” and military leaders of some African nations that have tried to wipe out certain groups under their rule.

Before I criticize what has happened in recent history, I must answer what have I done to stop the killings in Jordan, the turf battles that kill women and children in the Sudan, and other global concerns where humans are mistreated, hurt, even killed? Perhaps by inaction, I am no better than people in the past who just sat by silently – while their neighbors were butchered.

One thing I can say is no one should profit from the carnage and tortures other evil and insane humans wage on their fellow countrymen. Any money collected under such nefarious operations should go to the victims and their families. I think if we stop the flow of cash, the profit influenced sickos that come up with things like the concentration camp diet – would wither and cease business.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
Mod note:

We'd like to thank those who've contacted us regarding thoughts on this thread, the discussion, etc.

After discussion with the OP and board admins we've decided to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.