Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Who is the coolest actor of all time?

• Steve McQueen

• I don't know anything about acting

• I don't know anything about acting, but even I know it's Steve McQueen

Results are only viewable after voting.

FreeThinker

Who do you consider to be the coolest actor of all time?

All possible answers from which to choose are found in the poll.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Gary Oldman? Pffft. Let me ask you this: Has Gary Oldman ever had a song by the rolling stones (or any band) that mentions his receiving ummm... er... oral attentions in the lyrics? Nope, Steve McQueen has.

"In 1973, The Rolling Stones referred to McQueen in the song "Star Star" from the album Goats Head Soup for which an amused McQueen reportedly gave personal permission. The lines were "Yeah, Ali MacGraw got mad with you/For givin' head to Steve McQueen"."

Very naughty language warning on this song as well as being one of their more misogynistic songs.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9Kvhz7q2o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9Kvhz7q2o[/ame]

FreeThinker

Gary Oldman. Is this a joke?
I also vote Oldman!

Oldman 2- McQueen 1

:)
Interesting. I looked up Oldman, and found out I had seen him as James Gordon in the Batman movies. Sure, he's not bad. Good, actually.

But in terms of coolness?

Nah.

...In 1973, The Rolling Stones referred to McQueen in the song "Star Star" from the album Goats Head Soup...
Didn't know about that one.

There is also, of course Steve McQueen by The Automatic (which I first heard as the credits rolled on Dirt 2, a rally-driving game on wii), and Steve McQueen by Sheryl Crow.

He raced cars and motorcycles, and, while in the military, even hot-rodded a tank's engine.

(Sure, the engine blew up, but you've got to break a few eggs to make an omlette. He was all about breaking eggs.)

He played small. None of the flamboyance of Peter O'Toole in Lawrence Of Arabia. A twitch of the cheek, a hint of the beginning of a slight pursing of the lips, a suggestion of a glance -- these subtleties were enough.

He did many of his own stunts (driving, on horseback, and otherwise), and reportedly even deliberately broke his arm in a car 'accident' so that he could have time away from his television series Wanted: Dead Or Alive to shoot The Magnificent Seven, after the network denied him leave.

Here's a little something from Wikipedia I found interesting:

McQueen had an unusual reputation for demanding free items in bulk from studios when agreeing to do a film, such as electric razors, jeans and other items. It was later discovered McQueen donated these things to the Boy's Republic reformatory School, where he spent time in his teen years. McQueen made occasional visits to the school to spend time with the students, often to play pool and speak about his experiences.
Also, despite having been dead for quite some time, he still shows up in car commercials.

Many of us have seen this Ford Mustang ad, but how about this European one for the Ford Puma (both of which use footage from Bullitt, but to much better effect in the Puma bit, which also makes an allusion to The Great Escape, near the end)?

For me, Steve McQueen has to be the coolest actor of all time.

Finally, and as much as I dislike 'might-makes-right' as a lynch pin of debate, if you're still not convinced I'm not the only one who feels this way, go onto Google and enter

King of Cool​

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Clint Eastwood was pretty damn cool in the spaghetti westerns, I must say.

FreeThinker

Clint Eastwood was pretty damn cool in the spaghetti westerns, I must say.
You bet. A Fistful Of Dollars is my favorite of the bunch. He said almost nothing for most of the film, letting his actions do his talking.

My vote goes to Humphrey Bogart. :bow:
Poor Bogey, reduced to a caricature these days. He was a good actor, who could play a tough guy, but make it realistic, even during a time, and within a genre, not known for its realism.

His laughter at himself as he steadies his nervously shaking hand while waiting for the elevator in The Maltese Falcon really opened my eyes to him.

And could any other actor become so successful as a leading man with such an un-macho handle?

Marion Michael Morrison changed his name. He was no Humphrey Bogart.

I'd like to have seen how Bogart would have been in a more modern movie.

WTF

Interesting. I looked up Oldman, and found out I had seen him as James Gordon in the Batman movies. Sure, he's not bad. Good, actually.

But in terms of coolness?

Nah.
wtf did i just read? you looked up who he was and the only thing that stood out was Batman??? Is this real fucking life? Where the hell am I?

FreeThinker

wtf did i just read? you looked up who he was and the only thing that stood out was Batman??? Is this real fucking life? Where the hell am I?
It's not so much where you are as where I am. And where I am is apparently not watching movies. I recognized some of the other titles, but I don't think I've seen them.

Oh, aside from Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead, which I watched some time ago. His IMDB page credits him as Rosencrantz, but I thought one of the central points of that film was that nobody (not even the characters themselves) was certain which was whom. I enjoyed that film at the time, but don't remember who was in it, although I guess one of them must have been somewhat Gary Oldman-esque.

I've seen a lot of movies, but not many from the past decade or so. The most recent was Kickass, which was a lot of fun, but I personally wouldn't put anyone from that film in this thread. (Anyone inclined to start what could be a highly-divisive Nicholas Cage thread should feel free to do so.)

I guess I'd have to say Jeff Bridges is alright, too.

Just not McQueen-class in terms of cool.

WTF

You've never seen Bram Stoker's Dracula? Or Harry Potters 3 or 5? or The Fifth Element? Sid and Nancy?? Air Force One? TRUE ROMANCE???

You're credibility on "cool" has been flushed. You shouldn't have even started this thread. You do not know cool cause you have not seen cool.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
He played a psychotic space version of Ross Perot in 5th Element. Didn't strike me as especially cool in all honesty.

Christopher Walken deserves points for being creepy cool and a fine dancer.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
i don't think i think 'macho' is necessarily the top qualifier for 'cool'. i think giving off the confident unflappable persona is more it. there are lots of people with such quality. in some films, yes, steve mcqueen. i would also agree with clint eastwood. even in his later films like gran torino he was still a solid character.

i think cary grant would meet my 'cool' definition. he was always suave and in control. i would have to say some others who meet my definition of cool would be

cary grant
john wayne
liam neeson
benedict cumberbatch
jean reno

FreeThinker

Walken can definitely do creepy. And competent. He tends to look like he knows what he's doing, as a character.

Another one who can pull this off is Gene Hackman. Heist, Unforgiven, and The Conversation all offer up good examples of this. He can dress as a cowboy, a construction worker, a bureaucrat, or a total nobody and pull it off.

Actor points, big time. Can't call him cool though, because of the white-hot anger he keeps behind it, which is what makes him so good.

FreeThinker

i don't think i think 'macho' is necessarily the top qualifier for 'cool'. i think giving off the confident unflappable persona is more it.
I didn't mean to imply that 'macho' (that really sounds outdated, even to me) is necessary for cool. I was just saying that Humphrey Bogart pulled it off despite having a name that some might ridicule. I wouldn't use 'macho' to describe McQueen, either.

Come to think of it, I'm having a hard time imagining when I'd use 'macho' in a positive way. It seems like such a laughable and creepy term these days.

Thanks for bringing up Jean Reno. Cool, that one.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
i don't think i think 'macho' is necessarily the top qualifier for 'cool'. i think giving off the confident unflappable persona is more it.
According to my ex-wife, who is a chicana, this is exactly what "macho" means to Mexican-Americans. She couldn't understand why gabachos identified the term with bluster and posturing: quiet competence is what gets respect.