The dangers of fat acceptance

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
When the article starts with a caption that says "Leading board certified bariatric surgeon..." that's all you need to know right there. He has a significant monetary stake in fat people hating their bodies. Sorry, dude, your opinion is no longer valid.

SD007

Oh doctah Liu, you so sirry.

I'm glad to see that most of the comments are positive though :)

moonvine

Queen of Contempt
You know that the fat acceptance movement truly is gaining traction when doctors start crowing about how evil and dangerous it is.

Be proud people… Be very, very proud :):):):):)

I was so so so lucky for 11 years to have a doctor who never asked my weight (the nurse did but I refused it and it was no big deal) but never even mentioned it. Now I have moved and must find a new one but I doubt I will ever find another one that is that nice.

SD007

Um, even his wrong (and likely selfishly-motivated) position doesn't justify the use of ethnic slurs.

I'd like to think we're better than that, here.
I was just kidding, man. I talk like that all the time -- I didn't mean to be racist or anything.

Hamdinger

Someone pointed out to me once how much money there is to be made from shame. Think of all things from toothpaste to plastic surgery that are marketed by convincing people there is something wrong with them. Your teeth aren't white enough, your skin is too dry, etc.

If someone offers advice on self improvement, ask yourself how much they're making off of it. The worse you feel about your size, the more money these doctors take home.

Someday when I get to hell, I'm gonna make it a point to find these a-holes.

superodalisque

Someone pointed out to me once how much money there is to be made from shame. Think of all things from toothpaste to plastic surgery that are marketed by convincing people there is something wrong with them. Your teeth aren't white enough, your skin is too dry, etc.

If someone offers advice on self improvement, ask yourself how much they're making off of it. The worse you feel about your size, the more money these doctors take home.

Someday when I get to hell, I'm gonna make it a point to find these a-holes.
exactly. and the same goes for any community. people who have so much interest in your being fat or thin or disapproving of the opposite probably have something to gain from it. sometimes it's financial sometimes it's some kind of power. it's really good to always look at possible motives.

Carmella_Bombshell

Is it me or is the diet companies making serious cheddar by at agonizing fat people about their weight and to manipulate that skinny body equals happiness? [email protected]?%! If anything I know that more skinny chicks would like to be More plump! Smh. Happiness comes from accepting your true self fat or skinny! :)

superodalisque

Is it me or is the diet companies making serious cheddar by at agonizing fat people about their weight and to manipulate that skinny body equals happiness? [email protected]?%! If anything I know that more skinny chicks would like to be More plump! Smh. Happiness comes from accepting your true self fat or skinny! :)
of course it's not your imagination. also a part of itis knowing that their "methods" are purposefully dooming people to fail at their personal goals since they don't really want people to be able to truly manage their weight anyway. they already know they're causing permanent glandular and hormonal damage for people. so they feed people a lot of false info. that actually makes them even fatter than they were before.

i know a whole lot of thin girls too who'd be happy with being
left alone to eat what they liked and to still be accepted as the beautiful women they are. the thing is i think they could be if they could only stop giving the media sales vultures so much weight in their life--pun unintended. same as i think fat women should not fight for equality or acceptance but just take it since it's already there to be had. IMO the real need is to finally start being courageous as women instead of waiting for others to approve of us. but i think it's hard to do with so many other women buying into it wholesale and trying to press the bs on everyone else too. sometimes i question other women on their ideas about weight and it's as though they've never once considered that there is an alternative. this is some awesome brainwashing technique. it's like we're living in the middle of stepford.

Hamdinger

I did see a commercial the other day for a weight gain product. It was to help skinny men pack on muscle and women get "womanly curves." They even had testimonials from people who used to be skinny. It's a drop in the bucket compared to all the weight loss crap out there but at least there's enough of a market for it to advertise on TV.

I'd just take em to a steakhouse or Krispy Kreme, but that's me. :D

superodalisque

eh, maybe we care too much about what the media says anyway. infomercials can't be a roadmap for a life . maybe we've just got to get tougher.

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan
I was thinking the other day as I was driving home from my local Asda-Walmart with my GIANT 96 Tootsie Roll barrel in the boot of my car, past McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, along the road from The Golden Chip and Chicken Cottage, turning right at the corner of Stephen's the Bakers and Ameri-Kandy and taking a sharp left at Marmaris fast food outlet thats right next door to The Sweet Stop, Greggs the Bakers, Ashoka Shak, Buffet King, Pizza Boy, Seven Spices, Hong Kong Take Away, Deep Blue Fish Bar, Alari's Chip Shop, Chiquitto's and KFC - I remember thinking WHERE'S A BLOODY GREEN GROCER IN THIS TOWN??????

Fat Acceptance is the only way we CAN go when a person can only see fast food joints for miles and not one fruit and veg monger! Society and our Western culture has a lot to answer for when it cannot accept and embrace the 'human product' that comes of it's highly processed, fat drenched, quick, cheap and easy "food" stuffs (said very loosely!).

It angers me when we are ostricised for being fat in a food culture that flies the banner for heart disease, strokes and cancer but sells a measley salad bowl, two fruit bags and bottled water thinking that is a sufficiently "healthy" choice to select from WHEREAS the flip-side of its menu has countless burgers, and array of shakes, multitudes of ice cream desserts and sundaes not to mention the pies, brownies and muffins - and says it gives "healthy options" to patrons! The only skinny thing on that menu is the "healthy options section"!!!! It is a Catch 22 and makes no sense at all to me. Fat Acceptance is no bother (fat is by-product of the food industry after all) but crappy, cheap, chemical packed and a potentially lethal food culture that assists in the health detererioration of the nation and targetting the wallets and purses of the poor, that I cannot condone or accept. I didn't mean this to be a rant folks, just food culture and societal values really make me fizz! How do they expect people NOT to get fat on that diet and then reject all notions of Fat Acceptance stating there are other choices! 1ltr or Coke (Big Gulp), a Snickers Bar and a family size bag of Doritos for 99c in Texas (according to BBC Documentary "The Men Who Made Us Fat") - I mean, come on! xXx

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
The "obesity epidemic" is not, IMO, really about food or health at all. It is virtually impossible for most Americans to afford the quality of food our great-grandparents ate a hundred years ago. Meat from free-range animals and organically raised vegetables are too expensive for most of us: we have to rely increasingly on prepackaged convenience foods loaded with salt, sugar, and fats. We are told to follow a diet that only the wealthy can afford; we are urged to enjoy healthful exercise during the hours when all but the independently wealthy have to work; and we are castigated if our second-class diets and exercise regimes produce figures that fall short of the upper-class ideal. Our society demands conformity to an ideal yet takes away the means of achieving that ideal -- for all but the richest of us. It's not about our food or our health: it's about keeping us in our place. :mad:

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan
The "obesity epidemic" is not, IMO, really about food or health at all. It is virtually impossible for most Americans to afford the quality of food our great-grandparents ate a hundred years ago. Meat from free-range animals and organically raised vegetables are too expensive for most of us: we have to rely increasingly on prepackaged convenience foods loaded with salt, sugar, and fats. We are told to follow a diet that only the wealthy can afford; we are urged to enjoy healthful exercise during the hours when all but the independently wealthy have to work; and we are castigated if our second-class diets and exercise regimes produce figures that fall short of the upper-class ideal. Our society demands conformity to an ideal yet takes away the means of achieving that ideal -- for all but the richest of us. It's not about our food or our health: it's about keeping us in our place. :mad:
I can see where you are shooting from and I understand your points. I must say though that you cannot have obesity without food (I am yet to see a fat Ethiopian!) and the most fattening variety (and kinds most BBW's and SSBBW's enjoy the most on this forum for gaining is junk food brands). Fruit and Vegetables do not have to be expensive at all. Non organic and frozen fruit and vegetables, pasta, rice, dried beans and pulses, herbs and spices are so inexpensive we stock our cupboards and freezer with them to make a variety of amazing vegan and vegetarian meals. Meat is the stinger on the wallet (and many would agree meat is a luxury especially in relation to its price when compared with fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables!) and the money not spent on meats or treats could go towards more nutrient dense foods to pack your cupboards with. This bad food economic hits out at everyone of every class look at Kirsty Alley, Sharon Osbourne, Britney Spears and Christina etc... who have all struggled with their weight and therefore their 'societal acceptance' (which dropped disgustingly, might I add! :mad:). IMHO It is the celeb endorsed diet plans that cost the earth! lol Good food does not have to be out of anyones reach by any standards. It is my experience that pre packaged, processed foods are quite hard on the wallet and the body and when I see them in supermarkets and I know I can make an abundance of amazing, exciting meals for a fraction of their cost. In my opinion, it is just a matter of how you 'play the game'. I choose frozen and seasonal veggies etc and it is so purse friendly instead of ready made alternatives. I also adore cooking - which helps :) Exercise can also be utterly free! Walking round the neighbourhood or finding an appropriate home workout plan from the hundreds on Youtube is convenient to do in the privacy of your own home. They even have an SSBBW workout plan on Youtube too! Fat is classless. It doesnt care who you are or how rich or poor. So I cannot agree with you completely especially about your opinion that food is not to blame for obesity. You cannot get fat without it, lets be honest but your points are valid and well made :)

Jah

Veggie girl
https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
I can see where you are shooting from and I understand your points. I must say though that you cannot have obesity without food (I am yet to see a fat Ethiopian!) and the most fattening variety (and kinds most BBW's and SSBBW's enjoy the most on this forum for gaining is junk food brands). Fruit and Vegetables do not have to be expensive at all. Non organic and frozen fruit and vegetables, pasta, rice, dried beans and pulses, herbs and spices are so inexpensive we stock our cupboards and freezer with them to make a variety of amazing vegan and vegetarian meals. Meat is the stinger on the wallet (and many would agree meat is a luxury especially in relation to its price when compared with fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables!) and the money not spent on meats or treats could go towards more nutrient dense foods to pack your cupboards with. This bad food economic hits out at everyone of every class look at Kirsty Alley, Sharon Osbourne, Britney Spears and Christina etc... who have all struggled with their weight and therefore their 'societal acceptance' (which dropped disgustingly, might I add! :mad:). IMHO It is the celeb endorsed diet plans that cost the earth! lol Good food does not have to be out of anyones reach by any standards. It is my experience that pre packaged, processed foods are quite hard on the wallet and the body and when I see them in supermarkets and I know I can make an abundance of amazing, exciting meals for a fraction of their cost. In my opinion, it is just a matter of how you 'play the game'. I choose frozen and seasonal veggies etc and it is so purse friendly instead of ready made alternatives. I also adore cooking - which helps :) Exercise can also be utterly free! Walking round the neighbourhood or finding an appropriate home workout plan from the hundreds on Youtube is convenient to do in the privacy of your own home. They even have an SSBBW workout plan on Youtube too! Fat is classless. It doesnt care who you are or how rich or poor. So I cannot agree with you completely especially about your opinion that food is not to blame for obesity. You cannot get fat without it, lets be honest but your points are valid and well made :)
It is possible to eat healthy and cheap as well as exercise cheaply, but unfortunately that information isn't easily available and not everyone is good at cooking. It would be nice if cheap ways of exercise were advertised so that more people would know. It also would be nice if processed foods could be made healthier for people that aren't good at cooking and if fast food was healthier as well.
I had no idea there was an SSBBW workout plan on Youtube, I would love to see it.:)

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan
It is possible to eat healthy and cheap as well as exercise cheaply, but unfortunately that information isn't easily available and not everyone is good at cooking. It would be nice if cheap ways of exercise were advertised so that more people would know. It also would be nice if processed foods could be made healthier for people that aren't good at cooking and if fast food was healthier as well.
I had no idea there was an SSBBW workout plan on Youtube, I would love to see it.:)
So true! Here, here! :)

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I remember thinking WHERE'S A BLOODY GREEN GROCER IN THIS TOWN??????
It is virtually impossible for most Americans to afford the quality of food our great-grandparents ate a hundred years ago. Meat from free-range animals and organically raised vegetables are too expensive for most of us: we have to rely increasingly on prepackaged convenience foods loaded with salt, sugar, and fats. We are told to follow a diet that only the wealthy can afford;
From my constant travel experience, this actually very much is a UK/US problem (haven't been to Canada enough to be able to tell).
'The Economist' calls it the problem of 'food deserts' - large stretches of communities where you have shops, but not such where you can buy fresh produce, dairy or meat.
Or if you do find a store which offers these it is very expensive.

(I tend to take a supply of apples & tangerines along on my business trips to the UK for instance because I don't have the time & opportunity to hunt for them).

That still is very different in large parts of continental Europe - here you have various options of buying fresh produce or non-processed/pre-fab basics all over the place.
Green grocers are to be found in most neighborhoods, often run by the people from the immigrant communities (i.e. Turks, Morrocans, Algerians) which offer mainly fruit & vegetables along with a small assortment of other food necessities.
The large, ubiquitous food discount chains like Aldi/Lidl all have sizable sections with very affordable produce at a reasonable to even good quality, with a range of organic products.
Same goes for large supermarkets - they all have fully stocked produce departments with, particularly if you buy the specials of the season, absolutely normal prices.
Then in many parts there are local markets on a daily or once/several times a week basis, where local and regional producers sell directly - these again with good value for money.

Buying ingredients and making food from scratch still is cheaper than buying something processed/ready-made - particularly if you're doing it for a whole family.

Supermarket produce prices in most parts of the US bring tears to my eyes; looking at quality and variety makes it even worse.

I often wonder why this is the case - i.e. that with the UK crossing 21 miles of Channel can change things so much.

It must be a mixture of supply - what about the medium sized regional fruit producer & gardening tradition? Has it been lost? - and demand. Why do the green grocers survive in France, Belgium, Germany and not in the UK?

It is possible to eat healthy and cheap as well as exercise cheaply, but unfortunately that information isn't easily available and not everyone is good at cooking.
I definitely agree - see above. Even in contintental Europe, where access to and pricing of produce is not a real problem the market share of processed food is rapidly increasing - and the vilified obesity rates with it.

It's not only a time issue - information and education are key; teaching to cook in schools, getting producers to come and show their fresh fruit and vegetables.