The Greatest Bad Films Ever!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

jamesdevise

Hello! Well, I was watching 'The Happening' t'other day and it got me thinking, there is a thread about which films we've watched and seem to like, but not one about the utterly terrible films we occasionally put ourselves through!

So I was thinking this might make an interesting thread (hopefully!), what's the worst, yet strangely entertaining film you've watched ever/recently? (e.g. troll 2, terribly bad film, but fun/funny to watch)

I'll start it off with 'the happening' this film has to be ironically titled as nothing actually happens, Mark Wahlberg and friends spend 2 hours running away from the wind and trees and somehow manage to outrun it! Mark, bless him does actually manage to reach what might be acting in 4 scenes in this film, if you look it up on youtube, look for a scene with an old woman who believes he's planning to steal from him....hilarious!
worst.film.ever

Matt L.

This is an outstanding topic. There are so many films too choose from but the first film drawn into my mind is "Where Eagles Dare". A crappy WWII movie where Richard Burton is a double, double, double agent and Clint Eastwood is an Army recruited hit man. One of the worst films I have ever seen!

tootsmendozer

street fighter the live action movie.

it. is. amazing.

they got every charactor wrong, the acting was terrible (apart from rhoal julia R.I.P) and the whole thing is so stupid it hurts.
but all of that works in teh movies favour cos its so mind numbingly insane lol

Les Toil

Two words: Forrest Gump

Sappy. Sappy. Cry. Cry. Sappy. Sappy. Violins. Violins. someone dies every ten minutes and the violins remind us we're supposed to cry.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
This is an outstanding topic. There are so many films too choose from but the first film drawn into my mind is "Where Eagles Dare". A crappy WWII movie where Richard Burton is a double, double, double agent and Clint Eastwood is an Army recruited hit man. One of the worst films I have ever seen!
There are a couple of good points in Where Eagles Dare. The two best things in the movie are Richard Burton and a young Clint Eastwood. To a girl, spending a couple of hours watching even one of these guys walking around Germany or a film studiio is a good afternoon. Being able to watch both of them work together is a better afternoon. And another big plus is that the scenery, photography and the color of the movie is fantastic. This was before computer graphics and most shots had to be done the hard way.

The movie was based on a book written by Alistair MacLean. He is was one of our best writers of war time fiction. His books included Ice Station Zebra and The Guns of Navarone. Both were made into decent war movies. In Eagles, they may have tried to pack too much into the movie. There was a lot left on the cutting room floor. There was also rumored to be an overuse of stunt doubles. So, the movie's problems may have been "biting off more than it could chew", uneven editing, production problems, and dare I say - direction difficulties. However, I imagine Richard Burton (who probably drank most of the day) and Clint Eastwood (one of our finest directors currently alive) were not easy to direct.

(And yes, I do have way too much time on my hands.)

Chef

Galloping Gourmet
Highlander 2 and 3. So bad, that they never happened. Duh, there can only be one! They were so bad, if they really existed, that the gov't showed them to the detainees at Gitmo.

Oirish

The Dude
Two words: Forrest Gump

Sappy. Sappy. Cry. Cry. Sappy. Sappy. Violins. Violins. someone dies every ten minutes and the violins remind us we're supposed to cry.
Stellar performances, morable charachters, laugh out loud funny at times and heart wrenching, Oscar winner...

Oirish

The Dude
Truly the most craptastic movie ever is
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!!!
An all time favorite of mine.

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
It Conquered the World

"He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe."

Brilliantly terrible.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa

It becomes almost impressive when you find out that it had a budget of something like $1,000.

MattB

Canucklehead
DM Supporter
Hello! Well, I was watching 'The Happening' t'other day and it got me thinking, there is a thread about which films we've watched and seem to like, but not one about the utterly terrible films we occasionally put ourselves through!

So I was thinking this might make an interesting thread (hopefully!), what's the worst, yet strangely entertaining film you've watched ever/recently? (e.g. troll 2, terribly bad film, but fun/funny to watch)

I'll start it off with 'the happening' this film has to be ironically titled as nothing actually happens, Mark Wahlberg and friends spend 2 hours running away from the wind and trees and somehow manage to outrun it! Mark, bless him does actually manage to reach what might be acting in 4 scenes in this film, if you look it up on youtube, look for a scene with an old woman who believes he's planning to steal from him....hilarious!
worst.film.ever
The Happening...this movie actually made me angry it was so bad. You know a movie is bad when you feel no sympathy for any of the characters and you hope that they all get whacked! lol (Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld where Elaine is dragged to see The English Patient for the second time and she ends up yelling "JUST DIE ALREADY!" in the middle of the theatre.)
At a certain point, you have to decide whether or not to bail on the movie, or ride it out to the end...just to say that you survived it.

Two movies that come to mind for me that strike that chord are 'The Mummy' and 'Twister', the latter being an especially torturous good/bad experience.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
(edited) . . .

Two movies that come to mind for me that strike that chord are 'The Mummy' and 'Twister', the latter being an especially torturous good/bad experience.
Matt,

I love your review. about Twister (as a bad movie) being an especially torturous bad experience. (Very funny!)

About The Mummy, I assume you are referring to the last remake & not the first Mummy with Boris Karloff?

One of the worst movies I have ever seen is by a Brazilian director called José Mojica Marins. He specialized in black and white horror films and his staple character was a creepy dude named Coffin Joe. Coffin Joe starred in a half dozen or so movies, all of them pretty, . . . . well . . . .oily. Coffin Joe is not really scary as much as he is disgusting. He is about as sexy as a dead rat on the side of the road.

All of Mr. C Joe's mind bending trips are bad, but the worst of the bad trips for me was The Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures. The only redeeming few moments of the movie is that someone decided to paste a troop of dancing girls performing at the beginning of the reel.

To read more about these south of the border trainwrecks, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Mojica_Marins

comaseason

Housewares
I'm going to have to go old school cult with Plan 9 From Outer Space. Ohh the love I have for that horrible movie. Pie plate UFOs, plywood airplane cockpits, terrible acting, Mason walking around with the cape covering his face for half the movie... LOVE IT.

Another awful favorite of mine is Ishtar because...

Telling the truth is dangerous business.
Sometimes honest and popular don't go hand in hand.
If you admit you can play the accordion
No one will hire you in a rock and roll band.
But we can sing our hearts out.
And if we're lucky no neighbors complain.

Ahhh... makes me giggle just thinking about it.:D

mergirl

Brilliant thread! I thought Toll 2 was funny as hell too! Did you know that actually they were ment to be making another film and ran out of money and had some other minor disasters and found the costumes and thought.."Hmm they look a bit like the Trolls from the origional film 'Troll'" So they just made the film!! My favorite thing about the film is that the place is called nilbog and they only realise when they look in a mirror that it is infact 'Goblin' spelled backwards!!! hahaha.. Troll was a great film. Sony Bono is fantastic in it as the sleazy bachelor who gets turned into a cucumber!! Wonderful.
I loved "Big trouble in little china too"!
Hmm.. for mine i am having trouble because i have seen so many shitty but good films.. My particular favorite awful but funny film was one called "SEWAGE BABY" -The tag was "All he wanted was a cuddle!!. It was Obviously some rightwing propiganda horror but it was about a whore house/abortion clinic/toxic waste dump!!!?? whoat? They flush an aborted baby down the toilet and it comes into contact with some toxic waste and comes back to kill everyone, the film culminates in the whorehouse being destroyed by a giant placenta!!
Hmmm.. i better go google this just incase i dreamed it!
I also actuallty loved all the Ed wood films-I know 'Plan 9' was ment to be the worst film ever made but it made me laugh and i thought it was pretty cool.

mergirl

I'm going to have to go old school cult with Plan 9 From Outer Space. Ohh the love I have for that horrible movie.

Another awful favorite of mine is Ishtar because...

Telling the truth is dangerous business.
Sometimes honest and popular don't go hand in hand.
If you admit you can play the accordion
No one will hire you in a rock and roll band.
But we can sing our hearts out.
And if we're lucky no neighbors complain.

Ahhh... makes me giggle just thinking about it.:D
Oh haha.. you posted this just as i was talking about it!! Yes, i too have somewhat of a love for Plan 9!!

Scorsese86

Likeable conservative
Plan 9 from Outer Space - the classic bad movie that's so much fun it becomes great
Boxing Helena - such a weird film, with the silliest "twist ending" ever, just hilarious, even though we're suppoused to take it serious
Armageddon - epic drama, characters who think they are in a different film, hopeless story, sappy and camp

Ernest Nagel

is old
Entirely my opinion and I know many will disagree but "Yentl". Worst Barbra Streisand in drag as a rabbinical student musical EVER! :rolleyes: Too many reasons to even get into. :eek: It has been rumored that this movie was one of the most heinous torture devices employed at Gitmo. Given a choice those who had experienced both reputedly always opted for waterboarding. :p

ksandru

"PHAT" Not "Fat", Got It?
Ishtar - need I say more

Blood Feast - so bad it's good - Fake blood and ketchup abound!

Deliverance - Did not need to see the "SQUEAL LIKE A PIG" scene

I Spit On Your Grave - a negative 100

I think it's called: "To Kelly, Love Justin" /or vice versa, starring the 1st American Idol winner & runner-up

Sargeant Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band - I can't help but think there was some serious toking in the screenwriters' office when it was being written & that John Lennon must be rolling in his grave everytime this film is played.

Rocky Horror Picture Show - WARNING: NEVER watch this film without being stoned first ;) lol

There are so many more are out there that to list them all would take all day & trigger a migraine headache.

StarWitness

part square, part drape
Nobody mentioned Manos: Hands of Fate? Even with MST3K, it's barely watchable.

And yes, I know it was made entirely by complete amateurs. Still.

Latest posts