The Horror Thread...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
...a thread about horror. Where are my horror fans at?

I'm a lifetime enthusiast of scary movies, they're really all I'll have the patience to watch nowadays. I prefer supernatural themes, but will dig a gory movie if it's done either extremely well or extremely poorly. (I love low budget!)

So, tell us about your favourite films, books, characters, whatever floats your ghost! 👻

Donna

the book version is always better
I’m a fan of the classics…Bela Lugosi’s Dracula, Lon Chaney’s Phantom of the Opera, Chaney Jr’s Wolfman, Boris Karloff’s Frankenstein Monster and The Mummy, or Vincent Price’s House of Wax. I've watched all the old Hammer Horror films and enjoyed them. Does that count?

I can't stomach gore or any of the slasher and shock films that became popular in the eighties. Watching Faces of Death when I was a pre-teen scarred me for life. I had seen all of the classic horror films I mentioned above, but haven't been able to sit through any other horror since. I love to listen to bands like Slipknot, Slayer, Ghost, et.al., but a lot of times I can't watch their videos or looks at their album art because it makes me squeamish. I love Rob Zombie and it pains me I can't watch his films without becoming sick.

Reading horror novels is a different story. Anne Rice, Stephen King, Alma Katsu, Dean Koontz, Neil Gaimon, Peter Straub to name a few. I grew up reading Stoker, Shelley, Lovecraft, Poe, even de Maupassant and H.G. Wells. As for television, I like Ghost Hunters, but I'm fairly certain that's not classified horror.

Rojodi

I love classic horror - the Universal monsters! and ghost stories - plus ghost stories. Blood and guts bore me.

I do wish the reboot of the Universal Monsters Universe worked, but it was doomed to fail when Tom Cruise was cast in "The Mummy". Perhaps they can do something better, pick it up with the Brandon Fraser character!

...a thread about horror. Where are my horror fans at?

I'm a lifetime enthusiast of scary movies, they're really all I'll have the patience to watch nowadays. I prefer supernatural themes, but will dig a gory movie if it's done either extremely well or extremely poorly. (I love low budget!)

So, tell us about your favourite films, books, characters, whatever floats your ghost! 👻

Yesssssss! It’s good to know there are other Horror heads around! I, too, am a lifetime lover of scary movies. My first was Ridley Scott’s Alien (1979) and I’ve been hooked ever since. My faves are psychological horror, and I have a soft spot for film about evil religious cults (I sort of spent my teenage years involved in one but that’s a story for another day…) and movies about witchcraft and the occult, like Rosemary's Baby, Anything for Jackson, The Ritual, and The Devil’s
My favorite horror movie is John Carpenter’s The Thing (1980), even though I don’t usually like body horror, the paranoia that runs through that entire film is superb.

I’m not huge into slashers or possession films, but there are always exceptions, like Friday the 13th Part 2, My Bloody Valentine, and Sleepaway Camp.

I’ma big fan of reading horror, too, but to do myself from rambling into oblivion, I’ll leave it there lol 😆

It all counts. 👻

If you like the classic horror, have you seen The Black Cat with Lugosi and Karloff? Stunning movie for the 1930's.
Yes! I love the Black Cat. It doesn’t have much to do with the original short story by Poe, other than that at one point a cat gets killed…
But nevertheless, an excellent film.
Fun fact, it was nearly banned in the US and I believe it WAS banned in Sweden because of the skinning alive scene, although that scene is so tame for what it is, I guess it was the idea more than anything.

Another Karloff film, The Old Dark House is pretty good too!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
There are so many tangents I could go on. Even though I'm not all-in with gore, I love me some 70's Giallo. In that universe, one stab wound releases gallons of red paint. The lack of realism, and the dubbed dialogue, make it fun to watch.

Rosemary's Baby is another film I put in the "comfort food" category. I can watch it anytime without getting tired of it. Same with movies like The Changeling, or The Shining.

LuxeLady

I’m a horror fan! But I’m fussy. Not a fan of the “see how big my fake blood budget is!” genre. And I’m partial to good-triumphs-over-evil vibes. So—my favorite horror movie is The Exorcist. I also love A Haunting in Connecticut. But I’m inconsistent in that I also love From Dusk til Dawn…and Matt B I agree with you about The Changeling and The Shining.
My favorite horror author isn’t exactly a horror writer, he’s better described as fantasy but much of his work has horror themes and mood: Tim Powers. Also Kim Newman’s Anno Dracula series.
And I’m going to shut up now, I think I’ve gone well past TLDR here.

Donna

the book version is always better
I’m a horror fan! But I’m fussy. Not a fan of the “see how big my fake blood budget is!” genre. And I’m partial to good-triumphs-over-evil vibes. So—my favorite horror movie is The Exorcist. I also love A Haunting in Connecticut. But I’m inconsistent in that I also love From Dusk til Dawn…and Matt B I agree with you about The Changeling and The Shining.
My favorite horror author isn’t exactly a horror writer, he’s better described as fantasy but much of his work has horror themes and mood: Tim Powers. Also Kim Newman’s Anno Dracula series.
And I’m going to shut up now, I think I’ve gone well past TLDR here.

Thanks for mentioning Tim Powers. I wasn't familiar with him, so I looked him up yesterday and read a sampling. Downloaded Down and Out in Purgatory and I'm looking forward to devouring it.

LuxeLady

Thanks for mentioning Tim Powers. I wasn't familiar with him, so I looked him up yesterday and read a sampling. Downloaded Down and Out in Purgatory and I'm looking forward to devouring it.
You’re welcome! He does quirky takes on horror themes. Hope you enjoy

thespian

Yeah, I had a problem with Tim Powers. Read Last Call and the fat phobia in it just turned me off to him. Hope his other books are better.

Latest posts