The Horror Thread...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

I like older B&W and B movie horror only.
Rock and roll. The Evil
dead movies, Phantasm, the original Night of the Living Dead, Night of the Hunter, and the original silent Noseratu are some of my favorite B and b&w horror films.
Have you seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? It a silent film from 1920 (if I remember right) and either officially or unofficially recognized as the very first horror film.

Joker

Rock and roll. The Evil
dead movies, Phantasm, the original Night of the Living Dead, Night of the Hunter, and the original silent Noseratu are some of my favorite B and b&w horror films.
Have you seen The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? It a silent film from 1920 (if I remember right) and either officially or unofficially recognized as the very first horror film.

Monster

I adore horror. Damn near every form, except I have a real problem with in-your-face misogyny and sexual violence for titillation. Which is not to say I don't love grindhouse, just that sometimes there's a vibe of just meaness and I can't with that.

Donna

the book version is always better
We have Juggalos in the neighborhood: the corner store/bodega has a large selection of Fanta. LOL
I thought juggalos were into Faygo, not Fanta? My step-kids were (hopefully past-tense since they're both married with children now) into ICP big-time. I despise clowns as it is, but those two hatchet men make me want to get violent. And don't even get me started on their "music". (My apologies to any ICP fans.)

Rojodi

I thought juggalos were into Faygo, not Fanta? My step-kids were (hopefully past-tense since they're both married with children now) into ICP big-time. I despise clowns as it is, but those two hatchet men make me want to get violent. And don't even get me started on their "music". (My apologies to any ICP fans.)
Faygo
Fanta

I don't drink either! When you're a Pepper and the store gives you a BOGO deal on diet Dr. Pepper, you just notice the other brands in passing LOL

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Horror fans are year-round fans, not just at Halloween. However, I still get excited when the leaves change, and normals start getting into it as well.

If you had a friend who wasn't into horror, but you wanted to try and scare the bejabbers out of them, what would you show them?

I'd start here...

Fun trivia, the guy that plays the demon also composed the music for the Insidious franchise. Check out the work of Joseph Bishara.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
A horror thread, huh?
Well, I have time to share a few thoughts:

While I think The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is marvelous, technically the first acknowledged horror film is The House of the Devil by Georges Melies (one of the fathers of film) way back in 1896. It's on YouTube, see what you think.

While we're talking old horror, 2022 is the 100th anniversary of Murnau's Nosferatu and that's still a damn good movie a century later. The 1910 version of Frankenstein is brief but still very good.

I like the classic Universal monsters until they decided to water them down and stick Abbott and Costello into the movies (no thanks!). I'm a fan of Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney and Chaney Jr.

I'm a Hammer Horror fan

I'm an Asian horror fan - the original Ringu is still great.

I always love me some George Romero, The Exorcist, Jaws, Rosemary's Baby, etc...

Books? Yeah, I'm a fan of the classics. I recently re-read Stephen King's It for maybe the third time since it first came out and I enjoyed both movie versions.

Kim Newman's Anno Dracula books and his other works is always enjoyable.

Well, this is a big topic and there's lots to talk about.

CurvyEm2

I love all horror, I love the early stuff, later classics, jump scares, found footage, zombies. Huge fan of Vincent Price, but also love 90s slashers, social commentary. I'm pretty sure I've run out of stuff to watch now. I've been finding far less good content these days.

Donna

the book version is always better
I was just watching a show on Netflix last night called The Movies That Made Us. They profiled the making of the classic Halloween. I thought it was interesting they didn’t use a great deal of fake blood and from the clips I saw, it’s more jump scare than gore/slasher.

I’ve been resisting the urge to start my annual spooky season binge of the classic horror films. It started when I was searching for a movie and both Burnt Offerings and The Dunwich Horror popped up in my search engine. Since it’s officially fall, I think I might have to give in.

RVGleason

Nothing, but nothing, can top the utmost Horror of ‘The Three Little Kittens’. Watch to the end to fully grasp its Horror, The Horror! 🙀