Quantcast

The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 1

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
Like Pamela I also saw the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie. I preface it with the following:

Much like Spider-Man, Wolverine is fucking LEGION in the comic book world. At any given time the character has 2-6 different books just for him, and another half dozen or so with him as a guest character in some fashion. He's been originned, reimagined, rebooted numerous times. Needless to say you will never, EVER please all the fanboys who mancrush all over Logan like a sycophantic Igor. So, that being said:

For the general audiences, many of whom would sit for 3 hours watching Hugh Jackman read stereo instructions in the nude, you will be pleased. It's cliched, the dialogue is at times culled from a TGI Friday's cocktail napkin, but Jackman does what he does best: Makes 200 lbs. of pissed off Canuck in a 5 pound bag look GOOD. It will also no doubt win for Best Use of Muttonchops in an Action Film for 2009. At the beginning of the flick, Ryan Reynolds pulls off Deadpool convincingly enough, but that leads to...

Fanboys. You will not be overall too pleased, but like last call at the Chicken Ranch, you'll take what you can get while it's available. We've been aching for a good X-Men movie since that jizzmopper special they put out previously, but we're still not there yet. Either something got lost along the way or like any comic property sequel, at some point they just quit trying and put the character on more cereal boxes. It squeezes enough X-Men (in completely non-canonical instances) into the flick to please some of you. No? Oh, come on, when Gambit does that thing with the staff and the other thing, you're going to cream your pants and titter like the front row at a Hannah Montana concert, so stop whining.

However, you are in your rights to voice your ire about Deadpool, because what they did with the character was more fucked up than a football bat. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how they managed to tie in all these little tidbits, but I am sure the guy at the script table who said "no, he is not like this at all in the comics!" was garotted with a piano wire and thrown out with the trash along with the 2nd draft of "Grease 3 - Nursing Home Sha-Bop-Sha-Bop".

Admiral_Snackbar

Donnie Darko. Ok, during the film I really enjoyed it. After the film something, I don't know what made me pissed off at it. Maybe with a repeat watching later it will be unmarked. Actually it was quite good.

8.5/10
1) Get the director's cut

2) Watch it 2-3 more times and devour the 2nd DVD. It explains a lot. However, it's not really meant to be understood completely, since it's a time travel movie that (gasp!) understands the complexity of a paradox.

Allie Cat

However, you are in your rights to voice your ire about Deadpool, because what they did with the character was more fucked up than a football bat. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how they managed to tie in all these little tidbits, but I am sure the guy at the script table who said "no, he is not like this at all in the comics!" was garotted with a piano wire and thrown out with the trash along with the 2nd draft of "Grease 3 - Nursing Home Sha-Bop-Sha-Bop".
And this is why I have no desire to watch the movie. Deadpool is tied with Spider-man as my favorite Marvel character, and I'd much rather not see his character butchered so.

Admiral_Snackbar

And this is why I have no desire to watch the movie. Deadpool is tied with Spider-man as my favorite Marvel character, and I'd much rather not see his character butchered so.
Well, truth be told Deadpool is only in the movie for about a total of 10 minutes. Not a reason to diss the entire flick, but I completely understand.

GWARrior

X-Men Origins: Wolverine 10/10

Why? Uhmmm HUGH JACKMAN.
I fully admit to giving this film an excellent rating almost completely based on the main actor and how sexy his ass is.

Other that, I enjoyed it a lot. Im not an X-Men X-pert (haha) but questions I had from the previous films were pretty much answered. When my bro and I came home we had to do a bit of googling, and our research turned up a few inconsistencies (Zero and Deadpool seemed to have their badassness taken away), but it was worth the money we spent.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Red Doors
8/10
This is a bittersweet journey of a family who each have their own problems and working through them. Dad just retired and is miserable. The first half of the movie he keeps trying to kill himself but gets interrupted. He is constantly watching old family movies of when his three grown daughters are children. Then he runs away to be a monk.
the daughters are all going through some love trials and tribulations. It's just a really sweet movie. It's not spectacular but a good hour and a half of entertainment :)

tattooU

i watched Wolverine last night and i think i'm still angry about it. While his real history is confusing and tangled, the plot they threw together seemed pretty far from any storyline written about the guy. And really, wolverines howling at the moon?! :mad: That was the first time i wanted to punch someone in the face.

Gambit wasn't even a shadow of his true glory, and i've been waiting to see that cajun in a movie for years.

Sad day. Luckily it was late when we left the movie and i was a danger to no one.

GWARrior

Gambit wasn't even a shadow of his true glory, and i've been waiting to see that cajun in a movie for years.
my brother and I are in complete agreement that there needs to be a Gambit movie. he has such a man-crush on Gambit.

furious styles

goodbye halcyon days
punch drunk love - 10/10 : this is really as close to artistically perfect (or true) that a film can get. just amazing, really amazing. it's not the first time i've seen it but it had been a while, i might even watch it again.

sonically, it's astounding. the score, ambient noises / sound effects and dialog are weaved together with such minute brilliance .. i actually noticed once that in the background of a solitary shot a big semi truck turns on and drives away, you can hear it and it makes the typical sound of releasing the brake, shifting into gear, and squeaking as it lurches into motion, and what they do is (very subtly) make that same series of sounds into a melody that comes right after, back into the music. it's the type of thing that makes me want to master sound for films.

adam sandler is really just impeccable, and the reason why is because he doesn't just try to artsy himself up and dilute and expand himself because he's "playing with the big boys" and not in one of his typical self produced comedies, no it's because he stays true to what he does best ... he plays his strengths and just happens to find a movie that lets him not be a cartoon. ebert said that it was as if some parts of his characters from other movies came through in this but with a stunning sense of reality instead of fantasy.

anyway it's not for everyone but it's a fine piece of filmmaking. if you've enjoyed PTA's other films and haven't had a chance to see this .. just do it.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
Miller's Crossing

Wonderful movie, an early work of the Coen brothers. I don't know that it's got quite the oomph of later works like No Country for Old Men, but it comes fairly close if it doesn't.

9/10.

steely

my brother and I are in complete agreement that there needs to be a Gambit movie. he has such a man-crush on Gambit.
You are so right about Gambit.It should be Gambit Origins.I love Gambit.:wubu:

S

saucywench

Things We Lost in the Fire

It's been a long time since I've watched a movie that felt so personal to me. A rainy, stormy day...dark bedroom...somber setting for a somber movie.

Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro have given great performances in other movies, but their acting in this film affected me deeply--Del Toro in part because his character in this film, in both physical looks and his role as a practicing addict, eerily resemble that of my former partner who died from drug/alcohol addiction. I felt as though I were reliving moments with Neal (the good and the bad) through every scene in the film. The supporting cast was excellent as well, especially the two child actors. I even watched the discussion and deleted scenes, something I don't usually do.

This was a very powerful film for me. The painful issues of death and loss in the film were oddly comforting to me. I don't know that others would feel so strongly about the film, but for me, personally, it rated 10/10.

Although I rented it through Netflix, I will likely end up buying this movie.

Miss Vickie

We saw Star Trek today. 10/10, maybe even 11/10. It was that good. And heck, I'm not even really a Trekkie, but this movie brought out my inner nerdling. It was great. Fabulous. Touching. Fun to watch. Great stuff!

slrm2m

Not sure why, but I went to see, "Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past" tonight. A waste of time. Not at all charming, engaging or funny. I was hoping for a laugh and didn't get it.:doh:

thejuicyone

Juicy Juice
Troy - 8/10: Good storyline and Brad Pitts ass in this is immaculate. Didn't give it a 10 because all the hotties died and that little pussy boy Orlando Bloom lived!

Allie Cat

Star Trek

OH. MY. DOG.

This movie was the best Sci-fi I've seen in a long time. It did nearly everything right, and I'd say it's probably the best Star Trek since The Voyage Home, my all-time favorite. It might even surpass that. I saw it twice, once at the Imax and once in a normal theater, and I'm still not bored with it.

10/10

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Star Trek |10/10|

Pure entertainment. The new cast is pitch perfect; they nail the signature quirks of the original cast w/o mimicry or parody (except, maybe Simon Peg as Scotty), and then add a twist or two. I especially liked Zachary Quinto's portrayal of Spock and Karl Urban's pitch perfect McCoy.

Les Toil

I would like to say the last movie I saw something meaningful like The Reader or soloist, but the truth is, it was Taladega nights with Will Farrell. The only thing I truly found funny were the fowl-mouth kids that played his son.

"I'm all jacked up on mountain dew, old man!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts