The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 1

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Skellington

Grim Grinning Ghosts
I watched "Mama Mia!" tonight. I can be maybe a just weensy tad cynical at times and even I thought it was a genuinely sweet and charming movie and I generally hate musicals as a rule. I give it 9 out of 10.

1300 Class

Pam Poovey's Stunt Double
Die Hard: The first and still very good I think, with Rickman being one of the best 'baddies' still on film. 9/10

Die Hard with a Vengeance: Not quite as good as the first in my opinion but still a very good film on its own. Irons and Jackson throw their weight in well to the film and its pretty good overall. 8.5/10

GWARrior

The Candyman 5/10

Since I can remember, Ive seen this movie at my local Hollywood Video and never rented it. Im a horror movie fiend, so when my bff and I saw this one was available On Demand for free... we had to.

OMFG its bad, in that campy horror flick way. Weird story, lame characters.... NOT ENOUGH GORE. All the death scenes were creatively "hidden", so there was no actual body parts thrown about, just some blood squirting every now and then.

Blahhhh. its a good thing we were drinking as we watched it!

Les Toil

Rachel Getting Married 10/10

I can't praise this movie enough. This film was the LAST thing I expected from that title. Jonathan Demme's greatest movie (yes! Better than "Silence of The Lambs" IMHO). I had no idea this movie would be so freakin' phenomenal and I now understand why Ann Hathaway got nominated for Best Actress. And here's an extra perk--IT HAS DEBRA WINGER!!! Ain't seen here since "Terms of Endearment"!!

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
Star Trek - 10/10 I loved it! Zachary Quinto made an amazing Spock, sexy too. I can't wait for the sequel to see how they handle certain "inconsistancies" with TOS. Will be interesting to see how they reimagine certain details, but I loved it. All the actors nailed their character's personalities. Love the Chekov and Scotty actors.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
The Conversation

Wedged between the bookends of the first two Godfather movies, this 1974 film by Francis Ford Coppola is an outstanding, tense thriller. It owes a lot to Hitchcock (particularly Rear Window) and to Antonioni's Blow-Up, but manages to separate itself from them.

It's basically about a wiretap expert played by Gene Hackman. On one project for a business executive, he picks up bits and pieces of a conversation that lead to the conclusion that a murder is imminent and despite his better judgement, he goes deeper and deeper into it.

The film is brilliant. There's several layers to it, and I watched it last night and then again this morning because I knew that I'd pick up on things I missed (and indeed I did). Throughout, it feels as though we're spying on the professional spy, and this is made more and more apparent as the film goes on through various camera moves (and non-moves).

The cast is very good as well- John Cazale stands out, although this is far from his best; there's also a very young Harrison Ford, in what I believe is his seond film role, in a character that he developed far beyond what was on the page.

I highly recommend this film. Although it's rather dated now, and a bit slow at times, it's a well-built thriller worth seeng more than once.

10/10

Mini

Right, not nice
Taken: One of my favorite actors, Liam Neeson, ruining people's shit for 90 minutes. Crazy violent for a PG-13 flick. Just wish it had've been longer.

9/10

Victim

Oasis is JUST A BAND.
Star Trek - 10/10 I loved it! Zachary Quinto made an amazing Spock, sexy too. I can't wait for the sequel to see how they handle certain "inconsistancies" with TOS. Will be interesting to see how they reimagine certain details, but I loved it. All the actors nailed their character's personalities. Love the Chekov and Scotty actors.
If you think about the time travel/alternate universe thing, there won't BE any inconsistencies. They handled that beautifully.

snipermb435

Well i have seen load of movies as of late, movie buff i know, but hey,
The one that was most memorable was Star Trek, Killed Wolverine.
I gave Star trek a Nice big fat 10/10. It was one fo the best Star trek movies i have seen in a while, Spock was excellent, both the new one and the original, facinating Stunts and screen play, wonderful special effects giving it that true star trek feeling.

Now i will say this though, it wasnt a disapointment as such, but more of a "okay i need more". The romulans where the part i was like omg give me more of them fighting and such. But hey they compensated with other story information and sequences which made up for it.

so yeah, great movie all in all, I say go and see it and enjoy.

jamesdevise

Just watched Kidulthood- 7/10

Pretty good...pretty good!

also watched the new star trek a couple of days ago....awesome! although I do wish Simon pegg would get lost!

KHayes666

Go away
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 8 out of 10. Great movie but some of the end stories have to be explained better.

Star Trek - 2 out of 10. Good gawd did they screw that up, I don't mean the actual movie but the timeline and everything we Star Trek fans have ever known and watched

Judgement Night - 7 out of 10. Stephen Dorff, Emilio Estevez, Denis Leary, Cuba Gooding Jr and Jeremy Piven.......nuff ced, this movie ROCKS!

GWARrior

Wassup Rockers 7/10
Saw that on IFC a few weeks ago. It was interesting to say the least.

Angels and Demons 8/10

Pretty sweet plot, good action shots, lots of mysterious symbols and whatnot which is always fun to figure out. The ending was weird.

Ewan McGregor and Stellen Skarsgard are YUMMY as usual, and Ewan is a particularly naughty boy :eat2: Also has Pierfrancesco Favino who Ive only seen in The Chronicles of Narina: Prince Caspian, but I hear he's well known in Italy.

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
Blood Angels [ "Thralls" ]

8/10

Storyline was sort of unique, in my opinion.

imdb summary said:
The story focuses on a group of 6 beautiful women called Thralls, referred to as "the white trash of vampires;" effectively a lower species of vampire. They don't kill people, they don't have the ability to turn their victims into vampires and they can't fly. These Thralls are under the control of Mr. Jones, the vampire who sired them, and whom they are trying desperately to escape. To do this they must complete a blood ritual which will turn them into full-blown vampires. Their plans hit a snag when Ashley, the younger sister of one of the Thralls, comes to visit. Ashley has no idea what her sister has been up to since moving to the big city nor what she has become...

I Thoroughly Enjoyed it.
Then again, I Love Vampire Flicks. Especially CHICK Vampire Flicks.

Les Toil

Million Dollar Baby 5/10

Wow. I was sooo prepared to love this film. I walked away completely disappointed. Each and every character was a cardboard stereotype. There was absolutely nothing original about this movie. A generic hard luck boxing tale with some extremely heavy-handed acting is what it was. Clint had to push every stereotype to the max. He directed with such broad, obvious strokes. He didn't have to go as far as having the "stupid" kid that hung around the boxing ring ask how they got all that ice inside of a water bottle. He didn't have to have the mother so outrageously evil as well as make her fat to remind us that fat people are often the villains in movies (and how sad for the writers to have good-hearted Hilary Swank say such negative things about her mother's weight). And let's not discuss the generically ass-holish sister and brother-in-law with the over-the-top white trash hillbilly accents and covered in tattoos. Another big disappointment were the fight scenes. They were fast and cartoonish and unreal. Her phenomenally-fast success was cartoonish. Eastwood's gruffness was cartoonish and it's basically the same teeth-gritting gruff caricature he's been playing in every one of his movies for the last 15 years (like Jack Nicholson has been playing the same evil grinning smarmy scary guy for the last 15 years). And what a surprise! Morgan Freeman is playing a kind, soft-spoken, wise voice of reason! That's a reach for him!

What amazes me the most is how seasoned, hard-core movie critics loved this film to pieces! 91% at rottentomatoes.com! So go figyah.

For a good fight movie about real human beings, go rent John Huston's "Fat City".

StarWitness

part square, part drape
The Seventh Seal. 10/10, because I think they revoke my film nerd status if I give it anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Group builder