The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

rg770Ibanez

goochmaster
Just watched Moon. Full review is here.

I gave it a 9/10, but it's a pretty hard sci-fi so it might not be accessible to all viewers.
I just got done watching the movie. I would have given a 6/10 but the ending made me feel a little bit better about the situation. So I'll give it a 8/10
Very trippy though

And just saw Sector 9 yesterday.
10/10
I absolutely loved it. They better make a second one.

Aust99

Hey... I just got home from watching Bran Nue Dae.... It's a new Australian film with a predominately Indigenous cast. It is a musical set in the late 60's and it follows the story of a boy called Willy, trying to get from Perth up to Broome.... It is great, I thoroughly enjoyed it... 9/10.

Here's a review.... http://www.sbs.com.au/films/movie/4812/Bran-Nue-Dae

Miss Vickie

Sherlock Holmes- 4/10 Only thing that was interesting about it was the ending. Other than that, I was bored the whole time.
Me too! I wanted to like it, and expected to like it a lot more than I did. I love Robert Downey, jr. and the previews looked great. But the banter got old after awhile, the "mystery" didn't seem to build logically but was scattered all over the place, and the ending was interesting but I didn't even care enough about the characters to be worried about them.

Feh.

I saw Avatar a second time, and it was even better. Love it. Will probably see it a third time, and probably get the DVD when it comes out.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Inglorious Basterds.

7.5/10

I love me some Quentin Tarantino but anything Nazi to me is a bit repugnant.

Brad Pitt though? Hilarious!

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
The Book of Eli 6/10

I enjoyed “The Book of Eli”, but more for the casting than for the plot or visuals.

I won’t spoil any of the plot points except to say that there is a twist at the end of the film that will stretch your suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. That said, the film plays fair, and when you think back it is clear that all of the information you needed to anticipate the twist was presented in the body of the film. Whether you accept the twist or consider it preposterous will largely be a matter of Faith.

The visuals are pretty nondescript given that the film was directed by a pair of guys (Albert and Allen Hughes) who are known for creating visually ambitions films—lots of colored filters and bad digital matte paintings.

The best reason to see this is Gary Oldman. Denzel Washington is fine, but his role is kind of thankless and isn’t anything we haven’t seen him do 20 times before. Oldman, however, hasn’t been this good in years. Between the Batman and Harry Potter films it seemed like he had decided to surf on playing bland supporting roles. In the Book of Eli Oldman chews scenery with gusto and reminds us why we liked him in the first place.

The cast is rounded off with a number of well cast supporting players. Tom Waits pops up for a couple laughs. Ray Stevenson does his threatening, but oddly soulful thing he does. Michael Gambon shows up for a brief cameo as civil cannibal.

This isn’t a great film, but it is very watchable.

olwen

Disco Bear
Up in the Air 10/10

I-LOVED-THIS-FILM. It was really really good. All the actors were good. Not one person was miscast and Clooney really manages to make you feel for his character. I think this is going to be one of those films that will become a Classic. People will be talking about this film 50 years from now, it was that good.

olwen

Disco Bear
Sherlock Holmes- 4/10 Only thing that was interesting about it was the ending. Other than that, I was bored the whole time.
Aww, I liked that movie. I'd give it a 8/10. It was entertaining, there was the right amount of action for me, and the pacing was good. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. played well off each other and I enjoyed their banter. I'm rather looking forward to the sequel - assuming there will be one.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
“The Hurt Locker” 10/10

“The Hurt Locker” was my favorite film of 2009. I watched it again tonight, and I think I’m ready to say that it one of my favorite films of the decade.

The second viewing on a 42” television was as tense and engrossing as watching it for the first time in the theater. I can’t think of a film in recent memory that is able to sustain a sense of nearly constant tension.

This is a near perfect film.

“American Gangster” 5/10

I skipped this when it came out. I’ll be the contrarian and say, “I could have skipped it entirely”.

The performances range for adequate to great. Josh Brolin stands out; Russell Crowe seems bored. As expected, the cinematography is beautiful.

Also, there are a number of standout scenes. The Thanksgiving sequence depicting Frank Lucas having a lovely dinner with his family intercut with his customers shooting heroin was well done—at least it tempers the who anti-hero vibe.

My problem with the film is that “American Gangster” takes a fascinating story and then homogenizes it by forcing it to adhere to the traditional gangster epic.

LovelyLiz

Julie and Julia: 5/10

*YAWN* I was bored most of the time. Plus, Amy Adams, who is freaking adorable and lovable in Doubt, Enchanted, you name it - was so unlikable and dull in this film. Meryl Streep's parts were more interesting, and I loved her marriage to Stanley Tucci. But overall, what a slow movie. And the ending was really poorly executed.

infinity57401

The Book of Eli: 6/10- This is a solid movie although the trailers made it seem as if it be more action packed than it really is, the story does get really deep though and the twist is a hit or miss depending on the person.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
Dances with Wolves

(Part 1, first 2 hours of the extended cut)

This may very well be one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Although I can't speak much for Costner's acting- it's not bad, but nothing special, and the narration in particular falls flat- I'm thoroughly impressed with all other aspects of the film. The music is wonderful and perfectly fitting, the story is fairly well-paced, although I hear that the extended cut is less so than the theatrical, and there are indeed some sequences which don't feel like they flow so well. Supporting cast members are excellent, and Mary McDonnell has some particularly good moments (though I may only be saying that because I'm a Battlestar fan). Graham Greene is great, and there's a wonderful chemistry between him and Coster in the film.

There's one thing that I'd like to make special note of- the cinematography is amazing, and this is immensely to Dean Semler's credit. It showcases a majesty of the Dakotan plains and the plains which I consider to only be (barely) rivaled by the rolling hills of Alberta seen in Costner's 2003 Open Range. I feel as though I'm doing a massive injustice to the film by watching it on my laptop, and somewhat intend to bring it to my friend's house tomorrow so that I can at least view the incredible buffalo hunting sequence on his TV, which is a widescreen HD.

I'll post more about this tomorrow anyways after watching the second half of the film.

Crystal

The Waitress - 8/10

I'm not really into chick movies, but this one was pretty cute. Watched it with the roommate after much begging. (That sounds dirty). Anyhoo, it definitely had it's funny moments and being from the south, the dialog was great.

Wouldn't mind watching again. :happy:

Plus Mal from Firefly is in it. Major eye candy. *drools*

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
The Waitress - 8/10

I'm not really into chick movies, but this one was pretty cute. Watched it with the roommate after much begging. (That sounds dirty). Anyhoo, it definitely had it's funny moments and being from the south, the dialog was great.

Wouldn't mind watching again. :happy:

Plus Mal from Firefly is in it. Major eye candy. *drools*
I saw that on one of the only date-ish things that I've been on. For a chick flick, it's pretty damn good, and it's really a shame that the writer/director died so shortly after its release, as there's a good amount of talent shown here. :(

But yeah, I laughed a lot during it. It's quirky and fun. Plus, it's got Nathan Fillion and Andy Griffith, who both are great- Griffith especially.

KHayes666

Go away
Against The Dark

2 out of 10

I can accept Steven Seagal is never going to reach the popularity he had in the mid 80's and early 90's, but what compels him to make these cookie cutter direct to video releases in the last 5 years I don't know. Every year the movies he makes make less and less sense.

Where to begin on this one...the back of the box says "katana master Tao (Seagal) leads a team of black op mercenaries with a massacre in mind, their target: Vampires."

As we get the movie underway, within the first 5 minutes they explain that they're not really vampires but a hybrid between zombie and vampire. Think 28 days later....that's strike one because I wanted to see Seagal go head to head with Stephen Dorff or something.

At first we meet Seagal's gang of mercenaries which turns out to be him, a dude and 2 chicks. They're supposed to clear out the place just the 4 of them? Unless they're the X-Men I don't buy it. Then we meet the group of about 6 random people trapped in the hospital where the entire movie takes place. Their mission is to get to ground level and out to a car.......and that's where the crap begins. The 6 "survivors" repeatedly run into the "vampires" who are so incompetent that none of the survivors die for the first 45 minutes. In fact, Seagal's crew doesn't do a damn thing after the initial slaying for another half hour. They show various camera shots of him walking around while the rest of the morons run for their lives. The dialogue comes off as so horrible you begin to want the group to just die already. In fact, none of the group buys the farm until Seagal's gang shows up. That's just awful security isn't it?

I won't elaborate further because the idea of going over the rest makes my head hurt. The overall fact was it looked to be a monster movie but was in fact just an ordinary zombie movie and all Seagal does is flail away with a kitana sword. Like I said, is this the best role he could play these days? The only 2 highlights is David Keith (a real life friend of Seagal) and Johnny Cage (forgot the actor's name but he plays Cage) debating whether to blow the hospital up.

Horrible....2 out of 10

wrench13

Pirate music for sail
Book of Eli - 6 out of 10 - SPOILER ALERT

Cinematically a stark and stylised film.

PLot - slow, and artificial - and upon learning that Eli is blind ( in the last 5 min of the film) means that it does not bear a second viewing, since a blind man would not be able to do many of the things Eli does in the film.

Acting - Good, but since the dialog is very minimal, not hard to achieve.