The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MisticalMisty

City Island 8/10

I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a laugh out loud all the time comedy, but it was funny and sweet.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
“Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans” 5/10

I’m not sure what the point of this film is.

Why make a purposely awful “in spirit only” remake of Abel Ferrara’s already awful 1992 film “The Bad Lieutenant”?

The only thing I can think of is that Herzog enjoyed the idea of making something stupid, tacky, and unnecessary as commentary on American action films in general and sequels in particular; that and allowing Nicholas Cage to blow a gasket on film.

However, Cage is no Kinski, and a master filmmaker making fun of police procedurals is hardly sporting.

I’m sure that fans will dig watching Cage menace little old ladies and hallucinate iguanas just as much as they enjoyed watching him punch women and wander around in a bear costumes (Wicker Man).

A minor nihilistic joke from a great filmmaker.

Paquito

don't July to me
Death at a Funeral - 7/10

I had some good laughs, but I couldn't help notice the glaring plot issues. Basically too many cheap laughs and jokes, not enough storyline. James Marsden on "Valium" was genius though.

Nutty

Death at a Funeral - 7/10

I had some good laughs, but I couldn't help notice the glaring plot issues. Basically too many cheap laughs and jokes, not enough storyline. James Marsden on "Valium" was genius though.
I liked when Tracy Morgan's hand was stuck underneath Danny Glover's butt in the toilet. That was hilarious!

fatlane

Starting Arvist
"Room Service" 6/10

It's pretty ho-hum as far as a Marx Brothers film goes. Some good lines here and there, but there's way too much story getting in the way of the plot.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
Just watched I Sell the Dead. Wish I had more time to do a fuller review before work, but in brief:

It's a very odd, enjoyable film about graverobbing. It's a dark comedy, more of the "dry with an occasional laugh" variety, but there were a few scenes that had me almost in tears.

The story hooks you in at the start, and it becomes just more and more outlandish as the film progresses, but no less enjoyable.

Performances were fucking great. I'm a Dominic Monaghan fan to start with, but here he was probably better than I've ever seen him. Ron Perlman is surprisingly good, and Larry Fessenden is a treat, particularly right at the end. Bonus points for Angus Scrimm, Phantasm's Tall Man, although his time in the film is relatively brief.

The one part where it falters a bit is with the effects, which are impacted most by the low budget; even so, nothing feels terribly out-of-place, even though it might be a bit cheesy.

I'd probably rank this one with the likes of Evil Dead II- a cult hit that's well worth seeing if you're into a dark, dry, gory comedy.

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
We had movie night yesterday with our 4 year old so we watched "Up". It was very sweet, emotional and uplifting all rolled into one. My son loses interest in movies very quickly, but this was one he was glued to!

As a family, we give it 8/10.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
We had movie night yesterday with our 4 year old so we watched "Up". It was very sweet, emotional and uplifting all rolled into one. My son loses interest in movies very quickly, but this was one he was glued to!

As a family, we give it 8/10.
OMG! I give Dug a 10/10. I LOVE that dog!

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
(500) Days of Summer ... pretty good movie actually ... liked the presentation of days out of order .... I'd give it an 8/10.

GTAFA

Why make a purposely awful “in spirit only” remake of Abel Ferrara’s already awful 1992 film “The Bad Lieutenant”?

The only thing I can think of is that Herzog enjoyed the idea of making something stupid, tacky, and unnecessary as commentary on American action films in general and sequels in particular; that and allowing Nicholas Cage to blow a gasket on film.

However, Cage is no Kinski, and a master filmmaker making fun of police procedurals is hardly sporting.

I’m sure that fans will dig watching Cage menace little old ladies and hallucinate iguanas just as much as they enjoyed watching him punch women and wander around in a bear costumes (Wicker Man).

Unless you're talking about The Producers people don't normally set out to fail. People make bad films thinking they will be great, or maybe okay. Often a bad film contains good performances, great music, brilliant writing. And some great films contain mediocre performances. I think we can enjoy something in every movie, good and bad. I suspect the difference between crap and brilliance is sometimes a fine line, especially when the film is ambitious, taking risks, and otherwise making it difficult to be understood (as with Herzog's work). For one thing i think it helps us to recognize the pros & cons of mainstream cinema.

MarkZ

I also saw City Island. I loved this movie for so many reasons. I was born in Brooklyn, NY, so I enjoyed all the sites of my boyhood home. I thought it was great to see the family dynamic so screwed up! It made for a very entertaining film. Carrie Baker - Reynolds...:smitten:

willowmoon

Don't Panic!

Jeeeez, even the title of the movie comes across as "direct-to-video." Who'd pay to see that movie in the theater? Apparently not many -- I was just reading that the flick cost $25 mil to produce and it only grossed shy of $2 mil. Even the second-run movie theater in town didn't bother to book that one.

EPIC FAIL.

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
Me too (noticing bloopers). The thing is, there are different kinds of errors. There's the kind in Raiders, which arguably are very self-conscious anachronisms, mirroring the two-dimensional original that Lucas & Spielberg are supposedly replicating. And then there are the subtler kind, as when you hear people say "what's up" as a greeting in ANY film set before 1990; the conviction in the actor's portrayal is sometimes created while sacrificing the historical accuracy that may have been in the script (before the cast started improvising and playing around with the original words).

Or there's the way I felt watching Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice. I feel the only place i can bring this up and get a fair hearing is Dimensions: that she's just too damn thin to be playing a role set in that time, unless among a bunch of people starving to death. It felt like Austen, re-interpreted for a generation with eating disorders.

OK, I have to disagree with all who are putting down Keira Knightley. My little sister is built the same way and has always been just naturally thin (my sister hates when people ask her if she is anorexic. It hurts her feelings and it's no different than putting down people for being fat). It doesn't mean they have an eating disorder... and I think Keira is beautiful and her acting is phenomenal. She looks like a taller more cheek bone defined Natalie Portman. I love her, thin and all:D I thought she was an excellent Lizzy Bennet :p

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Unless you're talking about The Producers people don't normally set out to fail. People make bad films thinking they will be great, or maybe okay. Often a bad film contains good performances, great music, brilliant writing. And some great films contain mediocre performances. I think we can enjoy something in every movie, good and bad. I suspect the difference between crap and brilliance is sometimes a fine line, especially when the film is ambitious, taking risks, and otherwise making it difficult to be understood (as with Herzog's work). For one thing i think it helps us to recognize the pros & cons of mainstream cinema.
Ok, there was one scene I liked - pure Herzog.

Not a spoiler because it's in the trailer.

A bunch of thugs get shot.

A drugged out Cage shouts something like: "Shoot him again! His soul is still dancing."

Shot of a break dancer spinning like a top next to the corpse.

Blam! They shoot the corpse. The dancer falls. An iguana strolls lesisurely through the carnage.

That made me giggle a bit.

GTAFA

OK, I have to disagree with all who are putting down Keira Knightley. My little sister is built the same way and has always been just naturally thin (my sister hates when people ask her if she is anorexic. It hurts her feelings and it's no different than putting down people for being fat). It doesn't mean they have an eating disorder... and I think Keira is beautiful and her acting is phenomenal. She looks like a taller more cheek bone defined Natalie Portman. I love her, thin and all:D I thought she was an excellent Lizzy Bennet :p
It's just me, no one else, and i didn't put down Keira Knightley, i put down the adaptation for casting someone with a fashion model build in a society that I understood to be verging on zaftig. The performance is great. I wonder, though if we will ever again see historically accurate casting in this sort of part (did we ever? Hollywood has always been a weird mix of character actors and beauty queens).

I admit --and said earlier-- that i am the one with the problem. It's about a kind of fussiness. You see beauty (as does most of the population admittedly). I see actors unable to work unless they're on a diet or seeing a personal trainer.

Nutty

Stand and Deliver 7/10- Good lead performance, but it is the sterotypical cliched 80s movie

Latest posts